Wires

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mad Jack

Wires

Post by Mad Jack »

Hello,

Can anyone please help me with which wires are which?

Which one is the 12v and which one is the earth in the front interior lights? I’m guessing yellow/green is earth :-D

Thanks so much for your help,
Jack

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Wires

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The wiring colours are not to be relied on as PSA use codes on the wires sleeves Jack, so best not to assume the obvious. Peel back the black insulating shroud and provide the code numbers for the wires.

I hop you are not intending to wire in an accessory to any of these.... not advisable, use a piggy back connection to the passenger fusebox if you are.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mad Jack

Post by Mad Jack »

I was going to wire a dash cam to the wires… I presuming that may cause issues then by your post?

I looked in the passenger fuse box but I couldn’t even see the fuses for all the wires in front of the fuse box. I bought a hardwire kit for the dash cam and it does have a piggyback fuse connector in the kit, mine is the ‘type 2’ wiring from the owners manual… any recommedations as to how to get to the fuse box, and which fuse to use?

Thanks so much for your help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I really would not recommend using the wires int he roof console. These may have multiplexed wiring connections to other systems that will not tolerate other non CAN equipment attached and any splicing can affect the data communication.

It really is recommended to wire directly to a fusebox using a piggy back connector that protects both the accessory, but more importantly the vehicle's systems.

Some of the passenger fuseboxes are wired onto and around the BSI which is the brain or master computer on the vehicle, so caution is advised not to disturb any connections here as room can be a bit tight.

The dashcam should ideally be mounted in a legal position that isn't going to obstruct your view (generally top centre or just off centre), where the wiring can be routed along the top windscreen headlining, down through the A Pillar. If you are going to route the wiring inside the A Pillar, make sure you fasten ay wires BEHIND any existing wiring there which is likely to be the side / curtain Airbags, as you don't want any wires in front of this in case of deployment as it will act like high-speed cheesewire!

You should then be able to route it down and out of the A Pillar and then into the end of the dashboard, where the ends have a trim panel that can be removed, which will give you access to the inside near where the BSI is located and should facilitate a better access to the fuse box and a suitable earthing point on the vehicle body.

Here's the end panel of the dash:
pic dash side panel.png
Just use trim removal tools to remove this, but be careful as this contains the passenger airbag deactivation switch shown below. Just work your way around and then disconnect the electrical connection from the inside to remove the panel.:
pic dash side panel airbag switch.png
That should give you better access to the fuses.

You then need to determine whether you want a permanent live or a switched live. Personally I only use a switched live, so the dash cam comes on and goes off automatically with the car ignition, which saves me having to manually turn it on and off, and secondly, prevents forgetting to turn it off and discharging the battery.
Even though some dash cams are supposed to have a low voltage detection and turn themselves off, they may not be reliable.

Although different vehicles, I've fitted one in my C3 Aircross here:

... and in my C5 Here

... using similar techniques. The images may give you some idea concerning the end of dash access I'm talking about above.

Marc
Mad Jack

Post by Mad Jack »

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that much info, that really helps me a lot, I’ll let you know how I get on… thanks again, I really appreciate it 🙏
Mad Jack

Post by Mad Jack »

All done, I’m not sure how many swear words I know… but I used all of them about 12 times trying to get the piggy back fuse in, finally managed it with a pair of long needle nose pliers. What a nightmare, I hope I never have a fuse go and have to try and change it by the side of the road 🥴

I removed the end cap like you suggested, and then ran the wire up behind the pillar and across the headliner under the plastic cover trim, then I used the cable channel from the interior light to hide the cable down to the screen. Very pleased with how it turned out, thanks SO MUCH FOR your help…

You Sir are a genuine LEGEND!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem, you're welcome.

Marc