Strut top stress

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Strut top stress

Post by Armidillo »

An unusually thorough registration (MOT) check has revealed that the driver's side strut top of my XM Exclusive is starting to let go. I have repeated the test and, with suspension on high and wheel off the ground, I can move the strut top up & down about 1cm. The LH front one does not move at all.

I am well aware that these are a weak point in both the XM and the Xantia, so I guess I was expecting it sooner or later, but have until now done nothing. I plan to replace both, as presumably the LH one won't be far behind.

My car is a (very) late V6 (ES9J4) hatch, VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. Using ssg.asia I find the part #s are 527188 & 527189.

I know of Elastomer (am just about to email them), but have just found "CXM du Nord", who are in the Netherlands.
https://www.cxmdunord.nl/in-stock-citro ... ut-mounts/

They claim to have refurbished strut tops in stock - has anyone heard of them (or even better dealt with them)? Do they have their own refurbishing operation, or do they buy them in?

EDIT: Meca Place also claims to be refurbishing strut tops, but their lead time is 6 months...
https://mecaplace.com/produit/paire-de- ... os-moteur/

Cheers
Alec
Last edited by Armidillo on 31 May 2024, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Re: Strut top stress

Post by Armidillo »

Here's a video of the movement (I used a garden spade under the wheel to lift it up and down):
XM strut top movement GIF.gif
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Oh gosh Alec, that looks just about to let go :shock:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Armidillo »

Pretty sure they'll be the new type Jim, so my bonnet should be safe. Anyway, it's resting on the bump stops now.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

I don't think that Citroen ever made XM or Xantia strut tops with safety against total failure. The modification was after -market only. The modifications that Citroen made were to strengthen the welds between the metal components.

Can you take a photo of the engine bay showing both spheres and the alignment with the firewall seams behind? (With the weight of the car on the struts).

While you are there, check the condition of the rubber of the top engine mount ES9), as they often tear and elastomer.eu can also refurbish those.
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Armidillo »

Hi Mike

Here is a comment from David S on Aussie Frogs re. change to strut tops:

"The mounts were modified around 1998 by extending the centre tube an inch or so and adding a steel rim around the bottom of that tube to stop it going through the mount. The steel rim replaced what had been a formed rubber rim on the original to retain the gaiter."

It may have even been a bit earlier than '98 - I had a strut top fail on a '97 Xantia (VSX, Turbo CT) back in 2012. It was much worse than this one, but held together. The bonnet survived...

Re photo - sorry, ran out of light, here is the best I could get with phone and torch:
20240531_170604.jpg
20240531_170615.jpg
Can't pick any difference - broomstick sits level, so I think I must have caught it at an early stage of failure.

Also a photo of the engine mount - now I look at the photo, it does look like it's past it's use by date (I want to replace all the mounts - feel there is more NVH than I would expect).
20240531_170604.jpg
Attachments
20240531_215624.jpg