2009 C5 X7 courtesy lamp wiring is confusing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steveclv

2009 C5 X7 courtesy lamp wiring is confusing

Post by steveclv »

Hi
So I am installing a dashcam and it came with a cigar lighter adaptor to a USB C connector but I didn't want the wire hanging down so I purchased a 12V-5V DC converter to USB C from Ali and took the courtesy lamp housing out to locate the DC converter. This is where it got interesting as I am guessing that the lamps are controlled by the BSI so nothing simple LOL
Anyway, in the middle of the lamp housing is a 4 pin connector and then there are two 2 pin connectors, one on each side. The pins inside the lamp housing for the 2 pin connectors go 12V live when the engine is running - any idea what they are feeding?

I spliced into one of them - with the dashcam powered up the DC converter draws 300 mA so I don't think that's going to cause any problems but I'd really like to know what those two 2 pin connectors feed so I have some idea of it's standard current draw.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks
steveclv

Re: 2009 C5 X7 courtesy lamp wiring is confusing

Post by steveclv »

These are the 2 connectors that I am talking about if that helps.
Attachments
c5int.jpeg
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024

Post by mickthemaverick »

This is just a guess but to me it looks like they are probably the connectors for the two outer switches in the panel which, again I'm presuming, operate the map/reading lights? Just a thought? :)
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
steveclv

Post by steveclv »

Thanks Mick - actually they are controlled by the 4 wire connector however I have discovered that the 2 x 2pin connectors go 12V live when the engine is running to feed the illuminated sun visors and so I feel that I am not overloading them with the additional DC converter for the dashcam. It actually makes for a very neat install :)

The only annoying thing is that the C5 does not have an ACC position on the key and the darn ECO mode keeps engaging after 30 seconds or so, switching off the radio etc. Apparently it is based on the level of the car battery as to how long before ECO kicks in but the battery is at 12.6V when off so it still has plenty of life left in it. I really need to get Diagbox set up LOL