C5 X7 my turn for suspension pump stopping...maxi fuse location?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aerodynamica
Donor 2023

C5 X7 my turn for suspension pump stopping...maxi fuse location?

Post by aerodynamica »

Hi all, today my suspension pump stopped. This day was always going to come!

I raised the car to high to aid in the access of a rear parking sensor - got that out no bother. Lowered the height and carried out some citearobics just because it had been a while since that was done and it will no longer activate the pump.

Already checked the easy things: 5A fuse, 10A fuse - both ok. Connected the Lexia and it had temporary fault - something about comm with BSI. It allowed me to erase that. Carried out BSI reset.

Still dead. There is always talk of another fuse. A biggy, 30 or 40amp - I'd like to look at this next but don't know where that is?
Graeme M
2008 C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0 HDi
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Re: C5 X7 my turn for suspension pump stopping...maxi fuse location?

Post by RichardW »

They're usually under the engine bay fuse box.
Richard W
pi14

Post by pi14 »

Hi,

At the begining of May I had the issue with the suspenssion. It occured that fuse was blown. It was the one in the box with the red cover next to the battery. I found nice pictures of them which are in the .png file attached.
Hope this would help
Attachments
Fuse_box.png
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

Thanks, I see now where that is.. going to have a look.
Graeme M
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

Thanks, that 40a fuse has blown.. Thanks for pointing me in the direction. Now to find why it blew
Graeme M
Kees
Donor 2024

Post by Kees »

The main reason that this 40A fuse blow good be, pollution inside the motor by the brushes.
Greetings,
Kees.
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

Yes, I have removed the BHI parts and cleaned the motor internals and dried. It wasn't very bad looking. I have a spare pump from a C5 1 and the inside of that was all black oil slick. I'll return to the job tomorrow and see how it ends up.
Graeme M
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Hi Graeme, Sorry your citroen is playing up, there is another thread where someone had that fuse blowing, and was adamant that the motor was clean inside, so I suggested they'd be looking at chaffed wiring between the fusebox and the relay, which is located beside the right headlight near the radiators, or between the relay and the pump. disconnect the multiplugs from the BHI, and check for continuity from the fuse to earth with a multimeter.
pi14

Post by pi14 »

aerodynamica wrote: 24 May 2024, 23:38 Yes, I have removed the BHI parts and cleaned the motor internals and dried.
Hi!
Good to hear that you have found it.
As you said, it is good to know why it blown. In my case it is ok for 3 weeks after changing the fuse. But I wonder what do you mean by 'I have removed the BHI parts'? Maybe it is time for me to do it as well. But I do not want to destroy anything while it is working fine now.
Best
aerodynamica
Donor 2023

Post by aerodynamica »

pi14 wrote: 25 May 2024, 10:08
aerodynamica wrote: 24 May 2024, 23:38 Yes, I have removed the BHI parts and cleaned the motor internals and dried.
Hi!
Good to hear that you have found it.
As you said, it is good to know why it blown. In my case it is ok for 3 weeks after changing the fuse. But I wonder what do you mean by 'I have removed the BHI parts'? Maybe it is time for me to do it as well. But I do not want to destroy anything while it is working fine now.
Best
Hi thank you! yes I removed the LDS tank, BHI motor/ pump unit, battery and midi fuses housing. I then removed the pump motor brush assembly and found it to be a bit grubby but not full of oily black paste as I expected. I cleaned it with aerosol degreaser and compressed air and checked all 4 brushes moved on their sliders. I also cleaned the motor commutator and with a stanley blade, cleaned any grime from between the copper segments. I also cleaned the magnets as they were a bit grotty but not as bad as the spare C5 pump motor. I put it all together again but ran out of time yesterday so returned first thing today with only the LDS refill and battery reconnection to test it out. It is running fine now but I will keep watch that it does continue to work. If it fails again I think I will certainly look at chafed wiring but I don't think any of the wiring harness has ever been disturbed since the car was manufactured.

I've been expecting this pump to fail because I've had the car 3 years and it is an early 2008 C5 , so one of the first. Lately a house move and house renovation has seen the suspension lift 1/2 ton of gravel many times, many rubble trips to the recycling centres and lots of loading trips so the pump has worked quite a lot and quite hard over the past few months. It has performed very well indeed though. Often I see C6s advertised as the 'last real Citroen' but I thin #k the Hydractive C5 is :)
Graeme M
pi14

Post by pi14 »

Dear Graeme,
thanks a lot for your detailed explanation.
Best,
Przemek