Intermittent power steering fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Homer62

Intermittent power steering fault

Post by Homer62 »

Hi,
Bought my c5 exclusive 2lt hdi manual from a garage in Edinburgh, it was a trade in, good condition throughout low miles of 76,000 no warranty as mileage could not be verified, salesman said it had intermittent power steering fault, loss of power, bought the car anyway cause I liked it drove about 4 miles and steering went stiff, straight road so no problem, came to lights switched engine off and started car and power steering back on, used every day to the Tuesday and happened again, stopped switch of engine, started car and power steering back, read on here about checking air in hydraulic system, guess what no reservoir cap on hydraulic reservoir, topped up fluid with proper stuff bled with cap off, suspension up and right down, turn wheel 10 times, so I done this process twice, have driven it 11 days and it cut off again, found in one of the compartments service book all stamped up, so full service history and timing belt changed at 70,000 miles. Is there a chance there is still air in system? Could it be a communication error? Bad connection? Seems it might be a process of elimination, any help would be gratefully appreciated, thanks in advance. Forgot to say previous owner had it for 16 years :shock:
Davie.
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Intermittent power steering fault

Post by PaulC5 »

Check the battery voltage in case it is low since the steering pump is likely electric.
Homer62

Post by Homer62 »

That’s great thanks, the car has hardly been used so could be that. Thanks.
Homer62

Post by Homer62 »

Hi again, noticed that using air con seemed to quicken the time power steering would cut off, bought new battery today, I was convinced it was that however still cutting off and can only drive a couple of miles max and it cuts off but usually much sooner than that, so at least I’ve ticked one thing of the list, what would be the next thing to look at, thanks in advance,
Davie
shtu
Donor 2023

Post by shtu »

If it's been run with a low fluid level, it can take a while to get all the air out of the system. Giveaway is it'll feel a bit odd, assistance will come and go as you steer.

Beyond that, I'd wang a meter onto the pump's supply and see what's going on.
Homer62

Post by Homer62 »

Thanks for advice, I have noticed that sometimes steering can feel really light and other times a bit more firm. Went out and went through bleed process, no air bubbles, thought I’ll do it again but 3 times the pump cut off, does this seem more like an electrical issue?
Homer62

Post by Homer62 »

Well who would believe it, went out for a 40 mile jaunt and everything is working great, my hunch is the brains in the car have somehow reset with fitting new battery and voltage going up, thanks for help it’s much appreciated, this car has been a little frustrating but I love driving it.
toolfan
Donor 2024

Post by toolfan »

I case the issue appears again: I had the same symptoms on my 2.0 HDI too. The loss of the power steering was first very seldom, after restarting the engine was mostly fine again. Then it got worse, until 100% failure. Had nothing to do with the battery. I found out, that the main power supply (always on, even with ignition off) to the pump lost its power under load. No idea why. I installed an independent wire from the battery to the pump, 70 A fuse in-line, since then over one year no issue any more.
Homer62

Post by Homer62 »

Now it gets weird, Saturday went on holiday with car drove 126 miles with no problem, gets to our destination driving thru village and pump goes again, didn’t use car Sunday but went out today drove 17 miles and pump stops 3 times within 5 minutes so decided to call breakdown service, diagnostic check says DTC:5203 blockage of pump motor, will check it out Monday when we get back, probably get another motor from eBay and change myself.