Double hydraulic stops

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DS9
Donor 2024

Double hydraulic stops

Post by DS9 »

Hi

i have a petrol DS9 and happy with it apart from the ride comfort. It's still in warranty. The car is at the dealers at the moment for a warranty repair and I have often moved the conversation onto the suspension which I feel shouldnt be like it is on that type of car. FYI, before buying my car I did try the PHEV DS9 with the upgraded suspension and that was fine.

The dealer says he may be able to find a solution, but I'm not holding out much hope.

I have been reading a lot of the DS5 threads where people mention Bilstein B4's are transformational and that could be a route for me to go down. However I then I came across this article about the double hydraulic stop C5 aircross struts. Work out about £300 for the whole set of front and rears.

https://kyb-europe.com/blog/double-hydr ... termarket/

I just wonder if anyone has tried these on a non C5 aircross and how they got on?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Double hydraulic stops

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'll be looking to fit KYB Excel-G struts at some point on my Aircross. They never fitted the Progressive Hydraulic Cushions to the C3 Aircross, and the ride can be quite harsh on rural country lanes with the standard struts. The KYB Excel-G ones with twin tubes are only about £65 a pop for the front, yet the bog standard OEM ones are £101 each. A no-brainer.

Doesn't your DS9 have active scan suspension with adjusting struts?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Hi

That may be a good solution for you. I remember vaguely there was one late released version of the old C4 aircross with some posh suffix name that came with PHC, the reason I remember is because a car supermarket had one almost new with around 50% off list a few yrs back. It was something like £21k list and they had it on for £11k. Problem is the car was manual and I'd got annoyed my previous car was manual and wanted to move to automatic.

My DS9 has not got the active scan, its the discontinued 225hp petrol which I think is a peach of an engine, and weighs 1540kg. All the rest are the PHEV's weighing 1870kg+ and they fitted it to that. It's the same situation with the Citroen C5X, the PHEV's have it, the ICE don't, but the standard setup there is apparently good.

I might have said before I test drove a PHEV before buying mine and the ride comfort was superb, admittedly a little wafty for passengers though. The active scan kicks in on 3 of the driving modes, and is not active on the others, yet whatever mode it was in I had no problems with the ride whatsoever.

It's hard to ascertain exactly how whats fitted changes between the 2 models, and the lack of parts makes it nigh on impossible to see what the difference is. Typing the reg no into websites normally draws a blank. That said a couple of months ago I did a web search and found some breaker parts for the petrol DS9, there was a serial number and then when I searched for that I found this.

https://www.online-parts.co.uk/vauxhall ... mpfer.html

So It looks like they dug into the Stellantis bin for this one! God knows what mine are off? a Crossland? Insignia?

I don't know what they've done. I have read a lot of reviews about the Peugeot 508, its smaller sister car and all reviews say it rides well, even on the higher specs with 19 inch wheels like mine. Sounds nothing like my experience.

Generally I wonder if the car was primarily designed as the PHEV and then the ICE modifications were an afterthought. Feels that way.

It's a shame, I very much like the car and say to the missus it's 9/10 in so many respects, Cabin ambience, quality feel, interior space, ease of driving, gearbox, braking, etc there really is a lot to like about it. Some complain about the steering, I think it's fine. Some complain about old gen tech, I'm fine with android.

But for me the ride is 3/10, maybe 4/10, and it spoils the whole experience. I need to find a solution.

Edit: By the way these are the front and rear KYB's for the C5 Aircross. if they do fit I'd love these on my car:

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/kyb/17873322

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/kyb/17873338
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That's the issue, they are all different fittings and specs for the various vehicles, so need to be careful about fitting equivalent to OEM parts and unfortunately, they don't have them for any of the DS9s as yet. Maybe that will change - as in they may have to wait so many years before they are allowed to offer them, like some agreement being that they make them for Stellantis....

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Yeah, it's certainly an issue for me. A more common car would have OEM equivalents available left right and centre.

Do you know if there is an OEM search facility by manufacturer part number? Like the rear shocks are "Manufacturer part no. (MPN): 98388843 80"....... if I could find what model vauxhall/ PSA car these were also used on then I could perhaps look at their OEM alternatives.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We do provide an official PSA parts enquiry service which includes DS Autos, but does require a membership upgrade :wink: Details below if you're interested; I can then provide you with the official part numbers for your vehicle from which you can search alternatives.
We can help if you need an original genuine part number, part diagram or factory build sheet and can't already find the info you need on the Forum. For this service, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then provide your vehicle's VIN in full, which will be masked automatically when you submit your post.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or specific vehicle information requires you
to have made a current contribution
(Min. £10 / €11.48 or equivalent) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Thank you for your help. Donation made.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Thanks for your Forum donation. Just pop your VIN up and I'll sort those part numbers for you. Please post your VIN in full without spaces - it will be automatically masked from public view after submitting your post & will only be visible to staff.

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

VR1**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here you go:
DS9 Front Damper.png
(1) Front Suspension Damper, part: 9837905080, £99.48 each
DS9 Rear Damper.png
(1) Rear Suspension Damper, part: 9837905280, £97.32 each

Please also note, there is an outstanding after-sales campaign being flagged up from 11/01/2023 . There are no details shown as to what it is for, but give DS a call and quote the JNJ reference with your reg and they'll be able to advise. :wink:

Click Image to Zoom
DS9 ASC.png

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

That's brilliant mate, fantastic, and thanks for looking at it straight away.

I was aware of a recall campaign on the front bumper just below the bonnet. Mine was ever so slightly loose. I did expect it could be reaffixed but the DS dealer said the whole thing needed replacing, it's in at the dealers at the moment having the work done. However to double check I have just spent 20 mins on the phone to DS customer care, and provided my VIN to establish 100% the after sales campaign was for the same thing. It is. So that's cleared up.

Many thanks for the part numbers. I have done google searches on them and just a few european websites come up. Have you any idea how to find suitable OEM alternatives?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem.

No luck here either, and given dire sales figures, I'm wondering if this is going to affect after-market parts for this model.

European Sales Figures:
In 2021 - 1,831
In 2022 - 1,253

So not going the right way according to these figures :(

Marc
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Howmanyleft is now showing 100 for the UK. When I got mine last summer I think it was circa 78 or something. Not a big seller.

Suppose it was made in China and intended for the Chinese market though.
DS9
Donor 2024

Post by DS9 »

Sorry to bother you, I have just had a thought.

As the closest relative to my car is the Peugeot 508, it's effectively based on the stretched EMP2 platform could you tell me if the part numbers for that car are the same as you posted above?

If I knew they were then I expect it would be a lot easier to search for OEM aftermarket equivalents as the 508 sold a lot more.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi, no, they're unique to the DS9. I've ran them through all PSA models and these struts are unique to the DS9. The EMP platform is used for loads of models, but invariably, everything else is pretty much on a per vehicle basis.

Marc