Citroen berlingo 1.6 HDI engine shutting off

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Nick1988

Citroen berlingo 1.6 HDI engine shutting off

Unread post by Nick1988 »

Hi I’m wondering if anyone can help. I have a Citroen berlingo 1.6 HDI van 13 plate. Whenever I accelerate hard or put my foot down in a high gear the engine either shuts off with the red stop light or it jolts and the engine light comes on and the triangle light. The fan then stays on when I turn the engine off along with the triangle light.

I’ve had a new fuel filter fitted twice and both times the van has run perfect for a week with much more power and smoother to drive then the same things starts happening.

I took it to a garage and these were the fault codes.
IMG_2517.jpeg
IMG_2518.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen berlingo 1.6 HDI engine shutting off

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

So her are the main faults concerning the fuel system. So I'd focus on these first, but basically the fuel pressure in the rail is insufficient and this is despite the regulator fully open. So looks like a blockage in the fuel system before the fuel gets to the regulator or the regulator itself. Do you run the vehicle on 'fumes'? If so, gunge and diesel sludge will be a factor getting picked up; or the fuel filter has not been put back on correctly and the circuit primed properly are things I can suggest.

Fault Code: P0113
Description of Fault: Measurement of the air temperature at the air flow sensor: Short circuit to positive or open circuit: Temperature too low.

Voltage higher than 4,9 V for more than 1 s
Conditions for Fault to clear:
  • Driving for 5 minutes
Downgrade Modes whilst Fault is active:
  • Deactivation of the request for regeneration of the particle filter from the diagnostic tool.
  • Switching on of the warning lamp and/or warning message: Warning lamp MIL
Symptoms:
  • Slightly higher fuel consumption
  • Smoke from the exhaust
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine (Vehicle equipped with "stop and start")
Suspect Areas:
  • Air temperature sensor at the air flowmeter
  • Electrical harnesses
  • Connectors

Fault Code: P0087
Description of Fault: Fuel circuit: The pressure measured in the injection rail is less than the setting. The pressure measured in the fuel high pressure common injection rail is lower than the reference value for 800 ms even though the electrovalve is open to the upper limit.
  • Ignition switched on
  • Reversible deactivation of the vehicle cruise control
  • Activation of the cooling fan at fast speed
  • "SERVICE" warning lamp
Symptoms:
  • Jerking/stalling
  • Lack of power
  • Starting problem
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine (Vehicle equipped with "stop and start")
Suspect Areas:
  • Clogging of the fuel filter
  • Air leak on the fuel filter
  • Leak in fuel circuit (low pressure)

Fault Code: P0093
Description of Fault: Fuel system: Incoherence on the fuel pressure with the flow regulator jammed open. Excessive under-capacity of the injection system to provide the pressure for the flow in progress. The pressure measured in the fuel high pressure common injection rail is more than 250 bars lower than the reference value (For 800 ms).
  • Ignition switched on
  • Engine stopped
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle speed limiter (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
  • Irreversible deactivation of the vehicle cruise control (Need to switch the ignition off and then on, in order to make the function available again)
  • Warning lamp STOP
Symptoms:
  • Cutting of the vehicle speed limiter
  • Cutting of cruise control
  • Jerking/stalling
  • Starting problem
  • Slightly higher fuel consumption
  • Fluid leak/smells (diesel fuel, oil, etc.)
  • Lack of power
Suspect Areas:
  • Fuel high pressure flow regulator
  • Electrical harnesses
  • Connectors
  • Leak on the fuel high pressure common injection rail
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Nick1988

Unread post by Nick1988 »

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed reply.

I did also have the fuel tank cleaned a few weeks ago and the guy said the diesel smelt really bad? Again the van drove perfect after that was done for about a week.

The garage also mentioned it’s a possibility it could be the injectors?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

With that new info does it not seem a coincidence? There could be some dislodged muck that has got into the fuel system and causing a blockage somewhere.

Some treatment with a fuel cleaning additive for the next few tanks of fuel may help.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
shtu
Donor 2023

Unread post by shtu »

Few things I can think of,

There may be a coarse\sock type fuel filter on the tank pickup. When the tank was cleaned, you would hope that they also cleaned the pickup.
The berlingo has an in-tank fuel pump. That may be going weak, so that could be checked.
What came out of the replacement fuel filters? If it was watery\milky, you are dealing with water contaminated fuel. Pull the filter and empty the contents into a clean jar. Check for any unexpected sediment in the filter.
Are the fuel lines clear and undamaged?

Sounds to me like the tank had accumulated some water, which then grows nasty moulds in, sometimes called "diesel bug". Is this van little-used, often left with little fuel in the tank? That's prime conditions for condensation in the tank.

Obviously this bunch would like you to buy their treatments, I'm not suggesitng that, but it gives an idea of what might be going on, https://www.fuel-guard.co.uk/road-vehic ... l-bug.html.

I'd go back to whoever cleaned the tank and complain it's still blocking filters every few hours.
Nick1988 wrote: 02 Mar 2024, 21:17 I did also have the fuel tank cleaned a few weeks ago and the guy said the diesel smelt really bad?
That's a pointer towards diesel bug.