Gearbox oil for Citroen C5 II HDi 138 , 6 speed manual.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroenForFree

Gearbox oil for Citroen C5 II HDi 138 , 6 speed manual.

Post by CitroenForFree »

Hello everyone,

What's the amount of oil necessary for a gearbox from an Citroen C5 II HDi 138 , 6 speed manual from 2004?

I read the type of oil necessary is Total transmission B.V 75w-80 , but I don't know a legit source of the amount necessary.

The VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Re: Gearbox oil for Citroen C5 II HDi 138 , 6 speed manual.

Post by PaulC5 »

In the Haynes manual it gives 1.9 litres for a gear box without cooling fins and 2.6 litres for one with cooling fins. I would measure how much you drain out though as a check on the amount.

Edit - these values from the Haynes manual for with and without fins are the opposite to the values in the next post so are probably wrong ! For a gear box without a level plug and relies on adding the correct amount this can be serious.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 22 Feb 2024, 12:43, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Haynes Manual Have Incorrect Values
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The quantities also depend on what you are doing - as in whether the gearbox is being overhauled, which would require the full amount or whether it is only being drained and refilled.

For this vehicle:
ML6CGearbox casing without finsGearbox casing with flanges
Drain and refill2,6 litres1,9 litres
After overhaul2,8 litres2,2 litres

If you have the ML6C Gearbox with fins it will look like this:
ML6c fins.png
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroenForFree

Post by CitroenForFree »

Mine is without fins , I will do a drain and refill.
Also I will measure the amount drained.

Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_20240221_163720.jpg
PaulC5
Donor 2024

Post by PaulC5 »

I have noticed the values from the Haynes manual are the opposite to the ones in the table from GiveMeABreak. So it looks as if Haynes have mixed up the amounts for gear boxes with and without fins. For a gear box without a level plug and relies on adding the correct amount this can be serious.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not at all surprised there Paul... :roll: :wink:

Main changes of the revised ML6C gearbox with fins on this model:
  • Ribbed gearbox casing for improvement of the lubrication and lowering of the oil temperature
  • Discontinuation of the output shaft greasing filler tube
  • Reduction of the oil capacity
  • Engraving of the oil capacity below the sequence number on the differential housing (From 21/03/2006)
I've just edited your previous post to emphasise your edit Paul.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bumpy001
Donor 2024

Post by bumpy001 »

Hello,

Pretty hard to come by the gearbox oil spec and quantity….
Looks like my 59 plate C5, 6 speed manual has this ML6C WITH fins, is that expected from VIN VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] ?
And does it still need the GL4 spec oil ? Opie oils, GSF etc are pointing to GL5….

Car has 103 k miles on it. There is a light transmission wine, dependant on road speed and throttle.
Gearbox oil change seems like first thing to do… look for metal particles, get the level right etc…

Hope this isn’t too much of a derail of thread, delete if it is and I’ll look for more appropriate thread.

Cheers,
bumpy.
Estately
(Donor 2022)

Post by Estately »

Hi Bumpy,

Your gearbox sump plug should have a magnetic insert, but I don't think it would do any harm to attach a good strong magnet to it and leave it on for a few days while you do your normal journeys prior to draining. That obviously will attract the ferrous content of the gearbox oil.

If you can make a deflector for draining the oil into a container it would help in measuring how much oil is in the gearbox. Without the means of directing the draining oil flow it will go everywhere and create a mess and you won't know how much was in the box.

I believe that the GL4 grade is suitable for the C5 gearboxes, GL5 is not good for the copper content and is not an upgrade but a different specification. A Google search should confirm this.
Similarly Total have the recommended 75/80 oil for Citroen c5 manual gear boxes.

Hope that helps.
Andy.
If it can happen it will.
bumpy001
Donor 2024

Post by bumpy001 »

Hi Andy,
Thanks for that.
I hadn’t considered adding a magnet, good idea if I can make it happen.
Regarding quantity, I don’t know if it is filled to right level, might have leaked some and it’s had a drive shaft boot changed at some time so who knows . No harm in measuring what comes out of course but I would like to refill with correct quantity (dunno if there’s a level plug, I will look).
Oil classification, you and I agree, just need an expert to agree as well, then I can ignore what the stores want to sell to me and buy the right one.

Thanks,