BSI reset/Battery disconnection/ reconnection query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mitsub
Donor 2023

BSI reset/Battery disconnection/ reconnection query

Post by mitsub »

When I do a battery off/on does the window have to stay open?
I want to disconnect the battery, leave overnight and complete the radio install the next day. With this weather it's not possible.
wheeler

Re: BSI reset/Battery disconnection/ reconnection query

Post by wheeler »

There is no reason that the window would need to stay open to disconnect/reconnect the battery
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

It is so that you can reach in and turn the lights on and off etc. according to the official procedure.
I had to leave my car at work when the battery died and take it home to charge it up which made a mess of that procedure, no opportunity to open the window or to leave it open in works car park.

The reason is partly that opening the door activates the suspension ECU which can upset the reboot procedure.

I circumvented this by sitting in the car and having a mate reconnect the battery and running through the procedure with the window closed but without having to open the door.

All went well but I have no guarantees to offer.
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

myglaren wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 21:31 It is so that you can reach in and turn the lights on and off etc. according to the official procedure.
The official procedure tells you to turn on the lights after re connecting the battery??
If it does i have never done this & have disconnected & reconnected literally hundreds of PSA batteries without any issues.

If you feel that you need to switch the lights on before opening a door just flick the latch over with a screwdriver before re connecting the battery.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

mitsub wrote: 20 Dec 2023, 17:44 When I do a battery off/on does the window have to stay open?
I want to disconnect the battery, leave overnight and complete the radio install the next day. With this weather it's not possible.
Leaving the window open is really just for emergency access in case you need to get in or out of the vehicle, where there may be an issue with locking for example.
I think the sidelights on was from an older procedure many moons ago, but I've left it in there. It's not required though. What is important is the timings and that the doors and boot are closed to ensure the vehicle networks will go to sleep and they won't do this with a door open.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mitsub
Donor 2023

Post by mitsub »

thank you all for your replies, it makes it easier for me.