Tray under the engine

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.
Mancunian

Tray under the engine

Unread post by Mancunian »

Hello all,

In my Citroen C4 grand picasso mark 2 there is a plastic tray covering the underneath of the car. I assume is to protect the engine, exhaust and other parts from water splashes?

Can someone comment on the importance of this tray? I just came back from mechanic after routine oil change and found that the mechanic had removed the tray but didn't fit it back as he said the bolts snapped inside the threads and is saying it may take a while to fix it (be expensive).

Please advise as I need to decide whether is worthwhile fitting it or just throw away / sell that part.

Thanks
M.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Tray under the engine

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

It's designed to protect other components as well as the engine from debris, stones, water and also provide aerodynamic air flow to aid with economy.

Up to you whether you fit it or not, but other components it protects can be very expensive if damaged. They wouldn't be fitted as original equipment if not deemed necessary to be honest.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mancunian

Thanks. Any idea what bolts require and how to get them?
Also how to clear the holes ?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Unread post by GiveMeABreak »

You can order them from your Citroen dealer. It depends which part of the undershielding you are referring to as there are multiple parts.

For parts info and diagrams from us it will require a membership upgrade, so unless you are going to be wanting part numbers or part diagrams in future or just want to donate, it won't be cost-effective.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Mancunian

Ah ok thanks 👍
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Unread post by Paul-R »

The undertray will also stiffen (and be stiffened by) the other plastic liners, front bumper, etc. Plastic tie wraps are a great substitute if you're pushed or find a particular captive nut is irretrievably damaged.

I speak from experience.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Sloppysod
Donor 2024

Unread post by Sloppysod »

If its anythinglike the C5, you have two 10mm headed bolts, that screw into Nuts welded into the subframe, this would be a pain if they had failed, other fasteners are not so, as they are just ¼ turn bolts, but the clips they screw into fail, but replacements available,
Best find our what fasteners, personally I would see about getting it put back on.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)
Mancunian

Thanks you all.

Just attaching a couple of photos of the undertray in case there are further considerations.

As you can see is a bit broken and some bolts/screws are still in the undertray. I will need to inspect the bolt/screw holes condition in the bottom of the car to see if I can hold the tray back in place.

Even not all are usable I think as long as there are enough ok that will be sufficient
Attachments
Undertray cover bottom
Undertray cover bottom
Undertray cover top
Undertray cover top