Emissions fault: Starting prevented

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Olf

Emissions fault: Starting prevented

Post by Olf »

Warm welcome!

TL,DR: how to reset 'Starting prevented in' counter?

Long story: Peugeot 308 showed this few weeks ago, the usual mechanic checked and said that DPF filter is clogged, sent me away as not dealing with exhausts...
Went to a local 'DPF doctor', they said that it is empty Eolys tank that needs to be replaced first. Booked a visit, in the meantime commuted as usual so the 'starting prevented' counter went down to 300 miles.
The 'doctor' struggled for a week and did not manage to fix the fault, however they somehow reset the counter to 700 miles. Since then I've been to another garage, they claimed that only authorised Peugeot dealer can help me*.
The problem is the nearest appointments are 3 weeks ahead and with 60 miles commute I've got about a week of life in the car.
I now have Lexia equipment, but failed to find instructions how to reset the dreaded counter.

*apparently the new pump needs to have some settings copied from the original, and the 'doctor' threw the old one away. P1435 and U0118 are the errors that refuse to clear because of that.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Emissions fault: Starting prevented

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I suggest you change your garage - they haven't even got a basic understanding of this message.

This message is to do with the SCR (Adblue system) for the DeNox and not at all related to the Eolys additive pump which is for the DPF. These are 2 separate and independent systems that do different jobs.

It means that the Adblue is low and needs topping up, with a mileage countdown that will decrease . When it reaches zero the vehicle won't start.

You may have other issues which could be as a result of them interfering with the Eolys pump - but that has nothing to do with that particular 'Starting Prevented' message.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Olf

Post by Olf »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 14:36 I suggest you change your garage
I'm trying to do that, but need more time than the counter allows:(

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 14:36 It means that the Adblue is low and needs topping up, with a mileage countdown that will decrease . When it reaches zero the vehicle won't start.
Ok, 10l AdBlue was added about 1000 miles ago, so physical level is not a problem. Though it does not mean that level sensor or communication with it is not affected now, so from control unit perspective it may as well look like it's empty.

Still, any way to force reset it?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It will need checking with Diagbox to reset the De-Nox system. If you have followed the instructions in your handbook (not to open the vehicle doors or switch the ignition on for a time period after filling it up) and the fault is still showing then there is a fault.

How old is the vehicle / mileage? Has it been serviced to dealer standards and on time? The answers to these questions will determine if you can get any support from Peugeot regarding a replacement if it is deemed necessary.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

Olf wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 15:06Still, any way to force reset it?
Yes see here viewtopic.php?p=763808#p763808 BUT

First of all you say you have a Lexia, is it actually Diagbox? Is it full chip? What level of Diagbox?

What year is the car? How many miles has it done?

You should do a global scan for codes and what's what. Then delete them and see what comes back. Make a note of them. That won't reset the countdown though. After you've done all that THEN you can reset the countdown.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Olf

Post by Olf »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 15:57 How old is the vehicle / mileage? Has it been serviced to dealer standards and on time? The answers to these questions will determine if you can get any support from Peugeot regarding a replacement if it is deemed necessary.
Paul-R wrote: 02 Sep 2023, 17:11 First of all you say you have a Lexia, is it actually Diagbox? Is it full chip? What level of Diagbox?
What year is the car? How many miles has it done?
You should do a global scan for codes and what's what. Then delete them and see what comes back. Make a note of them. That won't reset the countdown though. After you've done all that THEN you can reset the countdown.
65 reg, 130k miles on the clock.
No, it does not look like it's been serviced 'properly': now I know that my understanding of 'full service' (equivalent to dealer standards) and what the usual garage kept doing (what they are happy with: oil, filters etc) differ.

Lexia with 'Full chip' sticker, Diagbox v 7.57 though the unit came with a CD with a collection of upgrades, so I can adjust to what's needed.

I've just tried to follow Paul-R's method, and got that:
Repair
Global test (ECU not recognised, I suspect I need different Diagbox version: any idea which one or trial and error?)
After the test, 'Combine_UDS?' was the only option available, I went ahead
Got to Reading and clearing of faults: the only one shown was B 1003 54 ('Secure configuration fault' from urea PADDGO_INERGY unit), I assume all those returned by ECU were skipped as ECU not recognised. Anyway, despite showing 'Faults erased, Validate to continue' it would come back to show B 1003 54.

I can see that @Paul-R had this before: viewtopic.php?t=64685
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Some ECUs may be locked in secure mode and may require dealer level access. Your vehicle is a 2015, so is on the cusp of new tech that your current version of Diagbox may not be able to read. The issue then is using Diagbox 9.** may not allow you to reset the DeNox system.

In any case you have 2 issues it seems one with the SCR (Adblue) system and one with the Eolys Additive system for the DPF.

Not sure what level of support if any you will get on an 8 year old vehicle with that mileage.

B1003 54 can apply to various systems and essentially means a secure configuration fault. It can apply to parking assistance, instrument panel, multifunction screen etc. It can mean that a download has been attempted to one of the ECUs and has been interrupted / incomplete.

If anyone has attempted an ECU download intentionally or mistakenly and it has not been completed, it can have leave the ECU in an unconfigured state.

My advice is with these sorts of issues you really need to bite the bullet and get it to a dealer to look at properly, which is what you would have to do in any case if there was any possibility of warranty on a potentially faulty Adblue Tank for example as they have to run their own diagnostics on it and follow a guided procedure.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If you read the whole of my posts in that thread you'll see that our car is also 2015 and the engine ECU is not recognised either. But I am presented with a list of all the different ones available and, as I know what is fitted, can choose it correctly. Then I can go into the Repair, etc.

I'm on Diagbox 7.58, possibly that's the slight difference. I'm trying not to update beyond this as functionality starts to be removed from the software. Maybe 7.62 if absolutely necessary but as the only thing I haven't been able to do is pair in an extra key I'm not ready yet.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Olf

Post by Olf »

It looks like (despite possibly not being the bestest of methods) my playtime with Diagbox did help: today I started without the dreaded counter, it only showed with fresh 700 after about 25miles.
Hopefully I can repeat it until the visit to the official garage (already booked, still 3 weeks wait...)

As the urea tank problems only showed after the 'doctor' trying to activate replacement FAP tank, I'm hoping that they only misconfigured (and/or misconnected) that part. But should I be lucky and hit a double, then my bill for both new FAP tank and new urea tank already starts at a grand...
Is there any place (apart from ebay) to get scavenged parts from scrapped cars? Though if I have to go through an offcial garage, they will likely refuse to use something they cannot add markup on :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It’s not that, they won’t fit used parts for liability and insurance purposes.

I wouldn’t touch a used tank as you really have no idea if it has failed before being dismantled or has deteriorated since, or what condition internally it is in.

Marc