Citroen c elysee 1.5 bluehdi camshaft chain

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andrei95sim

Citroen c elysee 1.5 bluehdi camshaft chain

Post by andrei95sim »

Hello everyone! I currently have a car equipped with the 1.5 bluehdi 100hp built in 2019. I know the engine has problems with the chain that runs the two cams. I learned that psa upgraded the engine with a new 8mm chain and new cams to solve the problem. I want to find the correct chain. Can someone give me the oem code number for the 8mm chain and the diagram. My car VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]. I think there is a kit where you change the chain, tensioner, cams, bolt, etc. I dont think that the 8 mm chain is compatible with my current cams...
If someone know more about the subject please help me, my car is still working fine, but I know this engine has this flaw with the camshaft chain and I want to solve it before it happens to me. Thank you!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen c elysee 1.5 bluehdi camshaft chain

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately not. Citroen have removed the diagrams at present pending an update, so there is no data available, and currently there are no kits or 8mm chains available for this vehicle.

I am awaiting some info from Citroen regarding my own C3 Aircross with the 1.5 Hdi engine concerning this.

Article here:

https://tracednews.com/peugeot-citroen- ... n-problem/
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

The engines should have been modified with the 8mm chain from RP no 15758 but i believe there have been cases after this.

Check the number at B You may need to remove some bits & use a mirror.
If the number is 98 126 472 80 then the engine was factory fitted with a 7mm chain
If the number is 98 305 804 80 then the engine was factory fitted with a 8mm chain
Attachments
camcarrier.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, I've got the TSB (B1AW0145Q0), and am in discussion with my dealership as we speak regarding any possible intervention - don't want to be sitting on a timebomb. I suspect I have the 7mm chain given my build date.

Marc
wheeler

Post by wheeler »

That above is from a different TSB (B1AW0144Q0).
B1AW0145Q0 only relates to a noise from the timing area.
B1AW0144Q0 relates to the actual breaking of the chain & this bulletin is less than a month old.
Hopeaharmaa99

Post by Hopeaharmaa99 »

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a Peugeot Partner 2019 van that has the BlueHDi 100 engine with the older design 7mm timing chain between the camshafts. This has been confirmed by the part number of the camshaft/valve cover.

I couldn't find anything too specific on the Peugeot forum, hence posting on this thread as the engine is identical.

My questions -
1. Just how inevitable is it that I would experience problems? There must be millions of these on the road, and not actually that much online about the issue.

2. Why did stellantis strengthen the design, rather than just specify a service/replacement interval for the 7mm chain and tensioner?

3. Is it difficult to replace the chain and tensioner (with like for like, I'm not talking about the upgrade here), and would it be worth changing the chain and tensioner at the same time as the timing belt when this becomes due?

Thanks in advance :)

HH
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The replacement is an 8mm chain.

As to failure - who knows, but they won't so anything about it until the symptoms are there - noise / ticking from the timing belt are etc. I have this engine, but nothing I can do until is starts making that noise.

Marc
Hopeaharmaa99

Post by Hopeaharmaa99 »

Thank you very much for the reply.

What mileage is yours currently on? The one I'm looking at is at 90k miles, which for where I am counts as low. My current Octavia is on 410k km and that's not unusual at all.

Perhaps then there are other factors involved that we don't know about, like (say) small variations in the casting that might mean that certain units have poorer oil flow to the chain? That might not be so likely with modern production methods though.

But, perhaps it isn't a certainty that these 7mm chain engines will fail, and in fact the majority will go on pretty much forever without problems, just like a diesel engine should?

Or is that wishful thinking?

Regards

HH
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Not much help I'm afraid as I have low mileage and am currently on 20k.

I suspect it will be a matter of how the vehicle is driven to a greater degree and therefore it could take some time for the problem to develop.

Marc
Hopeaharmaa99

Post by Hopeaharmaa99 »

Ah, ok, thanks. :)
thorter

Post by thorter »

Does this problem apply only to the current series of the 1.5 diesels? I have one of the last of the previous 1.5 engines. The RP is 15800, which is 11 Feb 2020. Here is the view on the top of the engine, and the aluminium tag is numbered 98 279 295, and the further number is 4020. The car is a Peugeot 308 SW, and I really hope it is free of this particular problem!!
Attachments
head.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You need to look here on the cam cover shown at 'b' for the part number.

That number is not the place nor a valid part in your picture.
cam cover.PNG

Marc
thorter

Post by thorter »

Thanks, I will have another try. Presumably it is on the aluminium casting, but I found nothing looking there. Is it necessary to remove the black plastic cover to see it?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so I've updated the picture for my Aircross with this engine (it's 'a' in this picture): It says use a mirror...
cam chain.PNG
Locate and note the part number engraved on the camshaft carrier (1) (at "a") using a mirror.

If the part number is 98 126 472 80 : The internal combustion engine is fitted with a 7 mm camshaft drive chain: Carry out repair .
If the part number is 98 305 804 80 : The internal combustion engine is fitted with a 8 mm camshaft drive chain: The internal combustion engine has been modernised

Marc
thorter

Post by thorter »

Unfortunately it turns out I have the 7mm chain despite the RP date being well after the supposed change to 8mm.

The difficulty was knowing exactly where and how to find the ident number. This was possible without removing anything, but much helped by using a 2”x 4" rectangular mirror under the turbo input pipe. See the red arrow for direction, the number is cast onto the cam cover aluminium, and very high up.
Attachments
IdentLocation.jpg