1.6 hdi engine replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

WelshTom
Donor 2023

1.6 hdi engine replacement

Post by WelshTom »

Hi

I have a 2012 Berlingo 1.6hdi. Unfortunately due to a water leak, and an overheating incident, it is showing all the classic signs of a warped head and as such needs to be replaced.

It is the 110bhp version which I understand has the 9HL engine code. I've looked around and can find plenty of the engines, but most use a different engine code, mainly 9HX. My understanding is that the difference between the 2 engine types is the ancillaries used (turbo, manifolds etc). I intend to strip the engine down to pretty much bare and swap all ancillaries from my engine over to the new one so I was just wondering if the bare engine will be the same across all citroen 1.6hdi engine or are there suttle differences that would stop me being able to swap it all over?

Many thanks in advance for any help.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 1.6 hdi engine replacement

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The 110 also has code 9HZ and I suspect there are a few other variants.

If you need an original, genuine part number or part diagram, and can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

Thanks for the speedy reply. I've just upgraded my membership as requested.

My VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff].

Many thanks
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

Is there anyway to check compatability if I can find the reg of the donor vehicle?

Many thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok so you have a BERLINGO PRIVATE VEHICLE (B9) FAMILY SALOON 1.6 HDI 115 (DV6C) Manual gearbox 5.
Tom Engine.PNG
New Engine, marking (9H05), part: 0135TQ, £9,842.95
Exchange Engine, marking (9H05), part: 0139XK, £4,012.72

The above prices are VAT inclusive from Citroen of course!

So if you search on either of these part numbers, you should be able to find a replacement on the second hand market.

Example here:

Any future parts requests Tom, just pop the requirement on this thread (which is not for technical questions, but just parts).

viewtopic.php?t=69962

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

WelshTom wrote: 20 May 2023, 09:08 Is there anyway to check compatability if I can find the reg of the donor vehicle?

Many thanks
I can only check if you have the VIN, but first Google the part numbers I've provided, and see what you come up with. You then have the marking too which will confirm.

Marc
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

A quick Google just to confirm, 9HX = earlier 16 valve version of the 1.6 DV6 engine.

From image Marc has fetched up, representing your engine= the later 8 valve version of the DV6

As such, considerably different top end between the two!
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

Hi everyone, thanks for your input. I'm so glad I asked as I was about to press the buy it now on a 9HK engine!

Can I just ask if all DV6C engines are the same? I've found one locally which is a DV6C9 and the only other numbers he could supply were HR-9HD.

Many thanks

Tom
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No, they're not the same, there are different variations of theses egines too.

Marc
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

And there was me thinking that since this engine is used in millions of cars finding a replacement would be cheap and easy :cry:

I've located an engine which is stamped 9H05 and listed as a DV6C, but the company supplying it say they have checked my VIN and that it won't fit my vehicle.

Would it be possible to check that using thr VIN of the donor vehicle which is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so the donor VIN you provided above is for a C4 PICASSO ESTATE - LEISURE 1.6 HDI 115 (DV6C) piloted manual gearbox 6, but although the marking is the same, it has different part numbers (0135QY - New Engine & 0139WQ - Exchange Engine), so they are correct there Tom.

These people seem to have one:

https://parts.tynesideautomotive.co.uk/0139xk

Marc
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I'll be honest, that engine is way out of my price point. The vehicle is probably worth less than £3k so a second hand one costing around £600 is the only option by the time I factor in fitting it etc.

Do you know what the difference between the 2 would be?
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

WelshTom wrote: 23 May 2023, 14:49 Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I'll be honest, that engine is way out of my price point. The vehicle is probably worth less than £3k so a second hand one costing around £600 is the only option by the time I factor in fitting it etc.

Have a chat with these guys Tom, they're very knowledgeable in the van business and have been there for many years, might even have an engine tucked away in their large sheds, Ask for John Gethin.
https://www.deantruckrepairs.co.uk/
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. (Albert Einstein)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

WelshTom wrote: 23 May 2023, 14:49 Thanks for coming back to me so quickly. I'll be honest, that engine is way out of my price point. The vehicle is probably worth less than £3k so a second hand one costing around £600 is the only option by the time I factor in fitting it etc.

Hi Tom, unfortunately apart form the obvious things like the valves, power etc., I can't say, so can only advise on what engine is fitted to what with reference to the VIN.

You need to be wary of some places though as they'll rope the engines together and it's not something you want to be faffing about with if it's not correct.

Marc
WelshTom
Donor 2023

Post by WelshTom »

I am still so confused!

Lots of sellers are listing engines using all of the above part numbers for the same engine! 0135TQ, 0139XK, 0135QY and 0139WQ seem to be used interchangeably depending on how they are feeling! An eBay search on 0135TQ brings up the last engine you checked for me as it is listed with that part number too! Would you be able to do another check against a VIN please? VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] it's another C4 Picasso but the seller has listed it with part number 0135TQ.

Why do manufacturers have to make life so difficult, I'm pretty sure that down at the bare engine level, most of these are the same with different ancillaries, manifolds, turbos etc fitted to them!