Technosir Advice Required

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Technosir Advice Required

Post by Rhothgar »

Afternoon all,

Before I go spending money I haven't got, does anyone on the forum have the requisite Technosir tool for regassing Citroen spheres that:-

a) They are willing to loan out on payment of a deposit (either returnable or non-returnable) or
b) They no longer use and are prepared to sell
c) Either with or without spare Valprex valves.

Some questions -

1) Failing that, which C720 is actually required
2) Do the Valprex valves have to stay in-situ?
3) How do I know which Valprex valves to order? Can you remove the green plug to check which interface matches the photos on their website or do you lose gas in doing so? Rather inconvenient if so...
4) The expensive tool for removing the green plugs! Is it really required? It's probably just a tapered hole in tooling steel?
Last edited by Rhothgar on 13 Apr 2023, 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Re: Technosir Advice Required

Post by Rhothgar »

It turns out that they are not available to the UK.
MattBLancs
Donor 2024

Post by MattBLancs »

viewtopic.php?t=35235

Some (old) information here.

Not something that I have heard of before. Brexit paperwork the barrier to it coming to the UK?
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

MattBLancs wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 12:42 viewtopic.php?t=35235

Not something that I have heard of before. Brexit paperwork the barrier to it coming to the UK?
Cheers. I'll check that out.

Yes. Brexit I believe but I have an EORI number so it shouldn't be difficult for them to deduct Italian tax and me pay UK VAT and duties on import.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Seen that thread before. In fact, I posted on the end of it as I have no clue what valves I need and don't want to die taking that plug out...
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Rhothgar wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 12:44

Cheers. I'll check that out.

Yes. Brexit I believe but I have an EORI number so it shouldn't be difficult for them to deduct Italian tax and me pay UK VAT and duties on import.
I might be able to help you here, a while ago I imported a 2017 Camaro engine and gearbox for my Range Rover (project not started yet), now the seller was really helpful, and had an agent in the UK, but I still had a few steps to do, one of which was registering for an EORI number. So I've got my EORI, my company is VAT registered, and I've got contact details for the agent that cleared my engine/gearbox through customs, let us know if you need any help with this.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

Cheers Jay.

I’m awaiting a response from Tecnosir.

Short of that, I may well be flying to Venice, getting a bus, a train and Shanks’ pony out to the factory and smuggling it via Austria in my case and then to England.

Stupid having to go to those lengths. They should be able to ship with an EORI but dare I say that’s Italians for you.

I grew up next door to an Italian family. The dad was a POW m, couldn’t speak a word of English, was filthy (he used to put a finger to his nostril and snot on the floor for his wife to clean up).

The kids were mates though and sound as a pound. This is how I know what their attitude can be like. And before anyone accuses me of Xenophobia, my missus is Austrian and also once dated a vile Italian (who used to beat her…).

Probably a bit touch information to be giving away.

I have little regard for them apart from those who are friends (who are very anglicised).
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

I was wondering if you might have it sent via Austria Roger.

Sorry to hear of the Italian misogyny. How anyone could be nasty to her is beyond me.
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

I know Steve. It’s hard to believe.

I did consider having it sent to her brother but in the past he’s ended having to pay customs and duties on parcels from the UK that were gifts!

Sylv doesn’t want to put him through that especially after the year we’ve all had as a family so far.

I can see too much going wrong with shipping it twice. Once to Austria and then on to UK.

I’d make one if someone would provide some detailed information.

I’d even consider getting my commercial engineers to make some batches if there was enough interest.

Would obviously not look to copy their design but to try and refine it once I understood exactly how it worked and if there were any user related problems with them as they are.

There’s not a lot to them and I could probably sit down and design my own if I had the wherewithal at the moment. Just got so much on and am not particularly that focussed as it is.

Hope you’re keeping as well as can be.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Roger, Will (Dieselman) on the Club-XM forum has made a re-gassing rig and was demoing it at last year's Chevrons Rally at Little Horwood...

It may be worth joining the forum and PM'ing him... He's a top bloke and very helpful.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Rhothgar
Donor 2023

Post by Rhothgar »

CitroJim wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 18:08 Roger, Will (Dieselman) on the Club-XM forum has made a re-gassing rig and was demoing it at last year's Chevrons Rally at Little Horwood...

It may be worth joining the forum and PM'ing him... He's a top bloke and very helpful.
Cheers Jimbob
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

Wow! The behaviours you've described by the Italians, both your neighbour and Sylv's ex, are rank out of order... One of my mates' current girlfriend was battered by her ex, suffice to say it's best for him that we don't know who or where he is.

But yeah, time for a more pleasant topic, engineering... You'll likely need a different fitment for the nitrogen bottle, as typically we use US style bottle fittings, with a little bull nose on the regulator rather than the continental style flat face regulator, so your regulator and it's connection looks like this...

...rather than what technosir supply, which looks like this...

The good news is you can get the stem off eBay for around fifteen quid: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204289210913

Technosir make a tool for opening the gas bolt on the spheres, C850, but it's unavailable, so you might need to get a bit cowboy... With the suspension depressurised, or the sphere on the bench, you're "only" dealing with nitrogen pressure, max 55bar, and there should in theory be no pressurised oil, which mitigates the biggest risk of working with pressurised systems, hydraulic injection, this opens a few options for how to open the sphere's nitrogen port, but all of these are cowboy AF.

The following technique is so cowboy it would make a redneck blush, and strays so far from safe procedures it should be taken only as an anecdote, not advisory or instructional, and as such I incur no liability for any damages or injuries arising from anyone doing this, in essence, "Don't try this at home!"

The three designs of spheres on the technosir website all seal on an o-ring, their video shows using C850 to open the round plug by ~1/2 of a turn to break that seal, which will allow the nitrogen to pass along the threads. Theortetically, that plug could be cracked by something like water pump pliers, small stilson, mole grips, Irwin bolt extractor etc, as long as the tool used offers controlled rotation, without use if impact, so chiselling the corner of the nut is a no-no. And if only opened a smidge until nitrogen was heard and or soapy water spread on the plug started frothing up, it could be left to discharge. You could add an element of safety by using a small tube to extend the handle of the tool used, keeping your hands further away from the pressure source, wearing welding gloves when operating the tools used to brutally open the round plug, putting a metal shield up the handle of the tool so there's a solid barrier between your hand and the tool used.

I really do not recommend such redneck approaches to pressurised systems, but they are possible solutions but should only be used in extreme circumstances

I'm having a workshop day tomorrow, I'll have a look at my nitrogen charge kid, for the fox airshocks I'm going to build my truggy with, I think I've got everything from regulator, to the Shrader style AC fittings that my shocks are fitted with. That being so, you could borrow my kit and you'd only need to figure out what to do about connecting to the valprex fittings.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 14 Apr 2023, 17:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image link
bobins
Donor 2023

Post by bobins »

Jay-Bruce wrote: 13 Apr 2023, 18:29

The following technique is so cowboy it would make a redneck blush, and strays so far from safe procedures it should be taken only as an anecdote, not advisory or instructional, and as such I incur no liability for any damages or injuries arising from anyone doing this, in essence, "Don't try this at home!"

The three designs of spheres on the technosir website all seal on an o-ring, their video shows using C850 to open the round plug by ~1/2 of a turn to break that seal, which will allow the nitrogen to pass along the threads. Theortetically, that plug could be cracked by something like water pump pliers, small stilson, mole grips, Irwin bolt extractor etc, as long as the tool used offers controlled rotation, without use if impact, so chiselling the corner of the nut is a no-no. And if only opened a smidge until nitrogen was heard and or soapy water spread on the plug started frothing up, it could be left to discharge. You could add an element of safety by using a small tube to extend the handle of the tool used, keeping your hands further away from the pressure source, wearing welding gloves when operating the tools used to brutally open the round plug, putting a metal shield up the handle of the tool so there's a solid barrier between your hand and the tool used.

I really do not recommend such redneck approaches to pressurised systems, but they are possible solutions but should only be used in extreme circumstances
Isn't this what trainees and apprentices were invented for ? :lol:

I've always found the safest way to do a dangerous job is to get someone else to do it :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Jay-Bruce
(Donor 2022)

Post by Jay-Bruce »

I forgot to add "wear full safety goggles when doing this sort of thing" as if it does release more gas than you anticipated, it would move any rust / scale / paint flakes at crazy speeds, and you really wouldn't want any fast moving debris finding its way into your eyes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Reading with interest :) The rig Will built and demo'd at the Chevrons uses a refined version of what you describe Jay, A pressure-tight housing that sits on to and seals against the sphere with a pressure-tight rotating shaft terminating in an Irwin style device to manipulate the sealing plug.

The whole rig is built very sturdily to permit the 'head' (for want of a better term) to be clamped down very tightly on the sphere to effect a good seal.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...