Citroen Xantia activa brake sizes

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Hadmund
Donor 2023

Citroen Xantia activa brake sizes

Post by Hadmund »

I'm currently in the process of a series of repairs on my 1996 xantia activa 2.0 98kw, and i was wondering what size brakes fit to the car. I've in fact already ordered some but the webshop i ordered them from claims that according to my VIN number the front brake discs and pads i ordered won't fit.

The brakes discs i ordered:
26mm thickness
28mm height
283mm outer diameter
66.03mm inner diameter/bore
4 holes for the wheel bolts
2 attachment holes

The brake pads i ordered
17mm thickness
130,9mm width
71,3mm height

I'm pretty sure these are supposed to fit, but i could'nt find any good sources on the matter and i don't have the service manual or service history of the car. Happy with any help i can get.

Odin
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen Xantia activa brake sizes

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you need an original, genuine part number, and can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The 283mm disks should be correct, I have no data point on the pads. Most Xantias used the 283mm Bendix brakes, except for the V6 and HDI 110 which used larger 288mm Bosch brakes.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Hadmund and welcome to the forum.

The Activa had two different sizes of brakes fitted during production. The Series 1 (and early Series 2) like yours will have the smaller ones (283 mm I think). Later Series 2 cars had larger 288mm ones. The same ones in fact as fitted to the V6, the 110bhp HDi and 2.1TD Xantias.

The early small ones are marginal. It's very easy to upgrade to the big ones by simply replacing discs and calipers. And very worthwhile too.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sorry Mike, we crossed!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

Thats OK, I forgot that later 2.0 TCT and 2.1 cars got the larger disks.
Hadmund
Donor 2023

Post by Hadmund »

CitroJim wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 10:31 Hi Hadmund and welcome to the forum.

The Activa had two different sizes of brakes fitted during production. The Series 1 (and early Series 2) like yours will have the smaller ones (283 mm I think). Later Series 2 cars had larger 288mm ones. The same ones in fact as fitted to the V6, the 110bhp HDi and 2.1TD Xantias.

The early small ones are marginal. It's very easy to upgrade to the big ones by simply replacing discs and calipers. And very worthwhile too.
Thanks Jim!
Were the rear brakes also upgraded on the later models, and if so is upgrading them the same process? I doubt increasing the braking power in the front without doing anything at the rear would be the best course of action.
Hadmund
Donor 2023

Post by Hadmund »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 10:12 If you need an original, genuine part number, and can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future part number requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here
Thanks! I'll definetely donate to have this feature moving forward.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problem, that's what I thought if this is going to be a restoration. At least you have the links now.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Hadmund wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 10:50
CitroJim wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 10:31 Hi Hadmund and welcome to the forum.

Thanks Jim!
Were the rear brakes also upgraded on the later models, and if so is upgrading them the same process? I doubt increasing the braking power in the front without doing anything at the rear would be the best course of action.
There were no updates to the rear brakes as far as I'm aware as they are always perfectly adequate in my experience. The Xantia Estate uniquely had bigger rear brakes, not that they really needed them! I'm not sure if they will fit an Activa... They may but it's not something I've tried.
Jim

DHallworth
Donor 2023

Post by DHallworth »

I upgraded the brakes on my Activa from the smaller ones to the V6 ones.

The difference between the smaller ones and the larger ones is huge. The larger ones are definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I did the brake upgrade a couple of months before the V6 engine swap in mine and would do it straight away on any Activa now regardless of what I was doing with the engine.

David.
'98 Xantia Activa V6 :-D
'00 XM V6 Exclusive
'09 C5 2.7 HDi Exclusive
‘10 C5 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'12 C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive
'15 C4 BlueHDi Feel
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I was equally astounded at the difference when I did the same on my old Activa David :D
Jim

Hadmund
Donor 2023

Post by Hadmund »

DHallworth wrote: 03 Apr 2023, 12:37 I upgraded the brakes on my Activa from the smaller ones to the V6 ones.

The difference between the smaller ones and the larger ones is huge. The larger ones are definitely a worthwhile upgrade.

I did the brake upgrade a couple of months before the V6 engine swap in mine and would do it straight away on any Activa now regardless of what I was doing with the engine.

David.
I'd love to try convert my activa to a v6 but sadly the rules for stuff like that in Norway are way to strict, its probably possible but just the thought of the paper work gives me a headache. I must admit that the current engine has felt quite fast compared to the old 2cv6... I think brakes and actually having a speedometer in the car might be higher priority than engine swaps for now though.
Hadmund
Donor 2023

Post by Hadmund »

You would'nt happen to have the part numbers for the discs, pads and calipers would you?
admiral51
Donor 2023

Post by admiral51 »

Admins will need your Vin number so post it in full no spaces and will be masked or put it your sig like mine and Admins can access it from there :)

Colin