C5 X7 new hydro shock bad?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mihkel
My Cars: Citroen C5 (x7)

C5 X7 new hydro shock bad?

Post by mihkel »

Hey! I've got a 2010 C5 X7 with hydro suspension. Two years ago I had a local MOT failure as the shocks were leaking (2 at the front and 1 at the back). I changed the shocks and no more leaks. They were about 210€ per front shock at the time.

In some time I started to hear some clunking noise coming from the front right corner as I was going over speed bumps or driving over sharper bumps on the road. Got quite annoying and I went to a local MOT place that had a great chassis rocking lift to find any worn bushings or joints. But to no avail - the guy couldn't find anything.

As long as I have had the car the front has been sitting a bit higher than normal. Got the time and found out what could be done about it so I lowered the front via the sway bar sensor. All good and the car was level now. After that I noticed that the noise was barely there which I found odd. The noise came apparent only in really sharp bumps. I was OK with that and didn't bother with the problem any more. But now for a few months the clunk has been coming back...

Yesterday evening I swapped the front shock spheres to rule them out - the noise is still on the right side.

Everything else seems fine, the car rides great and the sport mode gives a nice firm feel to the suspension. Has anyone had problems with new shocks? Or am I missing something? New shock from the cheapest supplier is 450€ now so i don't really want to just try it out.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 new hydro shock bad?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

See my Post here:

viewtopic.php?p=644727#p644727

Fiske also may have had the same problem:

viewtopic.php?t=71914&hilit=bush+clunk
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mihkel

Post by mihkel »

It took me a whole month to get it on my lift... It seems that the noise isn't that annoying after all :)

I inspected the control arm bushing, they were a bit worn but not moving. The knuckle bushing on the end of the control arm seemed OK as well.

But I seem to have found the culprit - lower ball joint or even as to say a bearing. I did not find a way to check the upper ball joint unfortunately but I will check it when I'm going to replace the bearing. The sway bar end links are also on their way out - no play yet but I'll change them anyway.

I made a couple of small clips, can anyone comment on the upper control arm bushings condition?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BsKZnifGPxnN3n2R8
mihkel

Post by mihkel »

Hey! It turned out to be the upper ball joint on the right side. Couldn't get any play out of it as it seemed but the movement of the lower bearing (up and down) showed that the upper joint was worn. It gradually got worse so I ordered the specific tool for the ball joint and the replacement wasn't that difficult. No noise!