Stuck ignition lock.

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Stuck ignition lock.

Post by Huskyxantia »

#-o

Any ideas as to why i can't get my steering wheel ignition lock to come off can't turn the key ,nothing.

Was hot today could it be the reason its stuck on ?
Paul-R
(Donor 2020)

Re: Stuck ignition lock.

Post by Paul-R »

Is the steering under some tension? If the steering wheel is trying to return to a neutral position it can jam the plunger of the steering column lock. The cure it to turn the steering wheel slightly against the tension which will take the strain off the column lock and you should then be able to turn the key.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Agreed ^,

That usually happens when the car is parked for example against a curb with the wheels turned in, so prevents movement of the steering wheel to allow the unlocking. You sometimes need to have slight play in the wheel to unlock it.
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

If the key does not turn at all, it could be that one of the lock wafers has stuck in the wrong position. This can usually be fixed by vigorously inserting and removing the key a few times.
Rp0thejester
Donor 2022

Post by Rp0thejester »

If it was anyone else asking this question I'd do/say the above. But as it's you Husky something must be wrong!!
moizeau
Donor 2022

Post by moizeau »

Was the cabin fan on flat out the last time. It could be a molten ignition barrel if this is the ZX, though this normally occurs in the 'on' position when you try and turn the engine off.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

Hi all , cheers for the tips, so ok this morning i took off the steering wheel surround gave me a better view of the whole ignition barrel , unclipped the 2 clips to the transponder receiver housing & moved this out the way then ,theres a weird screw with no head you have to undo,so screwdriver & hammer to carefully mark the screw on the edges then this moves the screw , repeated this 4 times to make 4 slots to tap the screw driver against this and it undid the screw , the screw then screws into a pin , with screw out of the pin ,knock the pin up the the whole barrel will then pull out ,

Ive now got free access to the disc that sits onto the barrel pin so i pop the key into the receiver turns off immobiliser use a screwdriver to start the car but remember to turn back 1 click cos no spring back then the starter isn't still energised hey presto car works , waiting to hear on a replacement, i didn't bother doing all the wiggle stuff as by the feel of it i could tell this morning the barrel had failed the heat hasn't helped . Once the new part gets here i can swap the barrel then swap the key blade that comes with it into my one , just means ill have to get another fob just to fit this original blade unto incase i need to unlock the doors manually , cars .. french .. because its french !
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

moizeau wrote:
16 Jul 2022, 06:24
Was the cabin fan on flat out the last time. It could be a molten ignition barrel if this is the ZX, though this normally occurs in the 'on' position when you try and turn the engine off.
Zx is good, its has brand new ignition fitted 3 yr ago.
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

Rp0thejester wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 22:12
If it was anyone else asking this question I'd do/say the above. But as it's you Husky something must be wrong!!
Cheers mate, ive kinda got me some wheels again , all be it a dodgy way of starting the old girl :rofl2:
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

xantia_v6 wrote:
15 Jul 2022, 22:06
If the key does not turn at all, it could be that one of the lock wafers has stuck in the wrong position. This can usually be fixed by vigorously inserting and removing the key a few times.
Barrel total shot to bits
Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

Huskyxantia
Donor 2021

Post by Huskyxantia »

Update, the brass pieces inside the lock have worn just spent 2 hours slowly taking the lock apart to be greeted with gunk mixed with grit, in the above video someone asks what screw driver is used to remove the 2 pins that release the casing into 2 sections.. there not screws there pins i tapped the smallest hex bit i had into the hole then twisted & turned as if i were unscrewing a screw & it slowly came out.

So my part is no good . I have sourced a complete ignition with keys ,driver door lock and petrol cap . I will have to switch key blades around change door lock & petrol cap then the key will work like nothing has ever happened.