First time DS5 owner

This is the Forum for all your DS Automobiles Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cupra to DS5
My Cars: Citroen DS5 Sport
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

First time DS5 owner

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi all,

As the topic says I'm a first time DS5 owner and my car is a 63 plate DS5 2.0 HDI in the metallic white with the 19 inch alloys refurbed in full black

Anyone got any hints and tips for me regarding the car?

Few questions too πŸ‘πŸ»

1) The car is a little slow to warm up, especially on colder days, is this a sign of the Thermostat needing replacing or just a diesel quirk?

2) Are there any particularly recommended head unit upgrades that people have done, I'm an Android user if that helps, before I upgrade the cars integral sat nav/stereo etc?

3) Is the integral sat nav actually worth
updating?

4) What's the cambelt replacement schedule?

5) I have what feels like a slight clunk when I turn left that you kind of feel through the pedals? Make any sense to anyone?

6) Best engine oil to use?

7) The cup holders seem to have been made for incredibly small cups?! Anyone come up with a good solution to this at all?

8) When I wash the car, it seems to lock and unlock randomly when water is sprayed over it - is this just a case of moving the keys out of range?

9) Night performance of the reversing camera is useless - not too much of a worry as I'm from an era where we had to learn how to reverse properly πŸ˜‚ but wondered if there's an easy solution to this?

10) Any preferences on tyres for this one?

Any help, hints and advice much appreciated πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Thanks 😊
Attachments
IMG_20220523_050826.jpg
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: DS DS5 2.0 180BHP Prestige 2016
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 1.6 90BHP XTR 2014
Both in black, we could start an economy brand undertakers

Re: First time DS5 owner

Post by NotAnInterestingName »

Hello. I'm also a first time DS5 owner as of this week. They're lovely cars, well impressed so far. I'll have a go at the bits I can help with...

3) Just updated my sat nav and it's great. But mine's a 2016 model with "connected nav" so gets free updates, which is an unexpected bonus. Do you have to pay for yours? I understand there were 2 or 3 different units fitted during the DS5's production run.

4) Also looking for full service schedule myself, for everything not just timing belt, was about to ask about how to get it. Getting a part from dealer next week, will ask them but don't expect much help other than leaving it to them and handing them several Β£100s every year. I haven't got anything with the manuals pack, I'm guessing that Citroen may keep things deliberately mysterious in the hope that you leave it to them and keep handing over the money.

5) I have a clunk through the steering wheel when maneouvering at low speeds. Doesn't feel serious to me but am getting it looked at tomorrow at local indie garage. I wouldn't accept a clunk being present without at least being told by someone who knows their stuff having a look and saying it's nothing to worry about.

7) My answer is a bottle of pop! Do you have the centre chilled section? There's a vent cover inside it, on the right. Slide this towards the back of the car to open it and let chilled air flow through.

8) Read about this earlier. Either leave the key out of range of the car or inside it to prevent activiating. Personally I'd suggest that leaving it in the car, while more convenient, is also a little risky.

9) Get some LED bulbs for the reversing lights, upgraded mine yesterday and it now looks like daylight on screen. They're also much more visible, they basically resemble small headlights.

10) Mine had two new cheapie tyres fitted before I bought it and I was initially sceptical but they seem quiet and grip fine and are also C rated for efficiency, which is not bad. They are Imperial EcoSport 2, and were a stunning Β£65 each for 19" size. According to google, they're an own-brand of one of Europe's largest tyre wholesalers. I'm actually impressed with them, if they wear well then I may well seek out four more when the time comes.
Last edited by NotAnInterestingName on 26 May 2022, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Here are the reverse light bulbs I bought.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000385340552.html

You need the option on the right, with the round metal base.

DS5 is happy it has working bulbs and the camera looks clear and bright.

Disclaimer: These are not rated or approved in any way but I've been using similar on another car for years and it's passed its MOT every time. Reversing lights are never going to cause a nuisance, brighter is generally better. These are not the same as the ones I've bought before, so I don't know about their lifespan and/or resistance to corrosion.
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi
Thanks for the reply and answers to a few of the questions

Sorry for slow response, been on holiday for the week! Went to Norfolk, DS5 performed perfectly! 😁

Yep it looks like I have to pay for my updates which is a shame, hence the wondering about the updated head units etc. Currently just using Google Maps on my phone but not quite sure how to balance out the volume on this when Bluetoothing music from it as if you want the volume at a useful rate the sat nav is then really shouty πŸ˜‚

I'd be interested to hear what they say about the clunk if you could let me know please πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

Yep got the vented centre console, might not help the Costa though lol (other brands are available 😎)

I'll have a look at those bulbs, thank you πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» easy to fit??

Tyres wise I think mine are a cheaper set, can't remember the name off the top of my head but will have a look at the ones you have too

Used to swear by Uniroyal Rainsports on my Cupra, especially as we have the odd shower in this country!

Also let me know if you find out the servicing schedules too please

Thanks again for the helpful tips, appreciated πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Cupra to DS5 wrote: ↑28 May 2022, 08:51 ... but not quite sure how to balance out the volume on this when Bluetoothing music from it as if you want the volume at a useful rate the sat nav is then really shouty πŸ˜‚
The volume is independent for each source. You can set the Sat Nav Guidance voice separately from the music playback. Go into the navigation settings to change the guidance volume.

It can also be done whilst instructions are being spoken - just adjust the voice volume as it is speaking directions. This won't affect other sound sources. The same applies to the telephone volume whilst on a call.
Also let me know if you find out the servicing schedules too please
If you require these, pop your VIN up (automasked on post submission) so I know which engine you have.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi Marc

Thanks for the useful info πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»

My vin number is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Servicing for your engine is every 20k miles for normal conditions or 12.5k miles under arduous conditions.

The following I am quoting is for 'Normal' driving conditions:
  • Brake fluid every 2 years
  • Pollen Filter every 40k miles
  • Air Filter every 40k miles
  • Diesel Fuel Filter every 40k miles
  • Check of Coolant PH level @ 80k miles then every 20k miles
  • Timing Kit and Coolant Pump 120k miles / 10 years
  • Ancillary Drive Belt 120k miles / 10 Years

Marc
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Thanks again Marc, that's great info and answers one of the main questions for me πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

The follow-up on the steering clonk... The mechanic wasn't really sure, had it up on the ramp and took off the panel under the steering wheel. He said it may be the universal joint in the steering wheel at the back of the footwell, or could be a bit of play in the steering rack itself. He agreed there's a clunk, but not really possible to say without pulling it all apart, but he assured me that the wheels aren't going to fall off.

So I'm going try a potential free fix by squirting the UJ with spray grease, but don't expect a miracle. I'll let it develop over the next few months, if it gets worse then will pay for it to be pulled apart and diagnosed in full.

Also, and apologies for the slight thread hijack, could GiveMeABreak please let me have my service schedule for VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] ? Thanks, from a new donating member!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@NotAnInterestingName: No problems, thanks for the Forum donation.

Servicing Info for your DW10FC Engine
  • Every 20k miles / 1 year for Normal Conditions or 12.5k / 1 Year for Arduous Conditions
  • Replacement of the timing kit and of the coolant pump 100k miles / 10 Years
  • Check of the clogging of the particle emission filter 120k Miles, thereafter every 20k miles
  • Check of the PH of the coolant 80k Miles / 4 years, thereafter every 20k miles / 1 year
  • Replacement of the ancillary drive belt kit 80k miles / 6 years
  • Replacement of the air filter 40k miles / 4 years
  • Check of the particle emission filter additive level 60k miles, thereafter every 20k miles
  • Filling of the AdBlue reservoir Every 20k miles / 1 year *
  • Replacement of the fuel filter (diesel) Every 40k miles / 4 years
  • Replacement of the brake fluid Every 2 years
  • Replacement of the passenger compartment filter Every 40k miles / 2 years
The only authorised engine Oil for this engine is: 0W30 (B71 2312 (C1C2)) for the UK climate

* Note: although not official, I personally top up my Adblue tank every month, so as not to allow too much air inside and theoretically stop any crystallisation / rust on any non-plastic components inside the tank assembly.

I would also note here that PSA have gone away from the traditional 20k miles / 2 years servicing.... I was a little shocked also when despite only having done about 6k miles in 14 months, that my servicing was still annual! So to maintain warranty I had to get that done a bit quickly, so be wary of this reduction to annual servicing.

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

Thanks very much, appreciated. Will print that out and pop it inside the manual.

Noticed that on the last (independent) service it had 5W-30 synth oil. Anything to panic about? I always thought the thinner grade was more about fuel economy than protection, but I know nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@NotAnInterestingName: I would get that replaced as it is the incorrect oil grade. The smaller the first number, the easier it is to start from cold. PSA are very specific about the engine oils and the 5W30 is not correct for this engine.

Have a look at the official guide here:

PSA Recommended Engine Oils

Be careful to follow the guide from the beginning as the engine tables are repeated 3 times - one for each country grouping (A, B or C) that contain the allowed grades depending on the where the vehicle is driven and the climate / conditions. The UK is in Group A, so the first engines table applies under that group. Your engine designation is DW10FC and specifically, the code is 'AHW'

Marc
Cupra to DS5
Seat Leon Cupra R
Honda Civic ES
Fiat Coupe 20V
Renault Megane Coupe
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.9
Peugeot 205 Gti 1.6
Citroen AX GT
Various Cavalier Mk 2's
Umpteen Proper Minis

Post by Cupra to DS5 »

Hi Marc
Quick question, mine is OK with the 5w/30 grade engine oil isn't as it's a different engine code? πŸ‘πŸ»
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, you have a different engine (earlier) so entirely different.

Marc
NotAnInterestingName
(Donor 2022)

GiveMeABreak wrote: ↑30 May 2022, 15:53 @NotAnInterestingName: I would get that replaced as it is the incorrect oil grade. The smaller the first number, the easier it is to start from cold. PSA are very specific about the engine oils and the 5W30 is not correct for this engine.
Thanks very much for the extremely useful info. I will ensure it gets the 0W30 in future - but, as 5W30 is OK for other countries and it's now warm, I'll leave it until the autumn. It looks like the other groups of "arduous" countries all have hotter climates, so presumably it needs the 0W grade for winter in the UK. I generally try and make the autumn service time anyway, as it happens to be the birthday of the other Citroen we already have.

Am I right in thinking that 0W30 should also give a marginal fuel economy gain vs 5W30?

CupraToDS - apologies for the thread hijack. I'll start a new thread about my new findings about the steering clunk.