Partner 1.6hdi erratic over 3000rpm

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shanebshane
My Cars: Peugeot partner

Partner 1.6hdi erratic over 3000rpm

Post by shanebshane »

Hi everyone. Hoping someone could give me some advice on what to check on my Peugeot partner 1.6hdi 2008. The van is very erratic over 3000rpm, it will go up to 3200 and drop straight back to 3000 very quickly. The exhaust rattles pretty bad at the back while it's doing this but think it's probably because the surging? I did start to notice a loss of power before this problem occurred and it also failed mot on emissions last week. My wife has an identical engine in her 207 so could possibly swap out some sensors.
So far I've
*Removed and checked the turbo, all fine as is the oil flow to the turbo, no leaks.
*Replaced the seals on the inlet/outlet of the turbo.
*Swapped out the MAF sensor from the wife's car, no change.
*Removed and tested the egr valve and seems to operate as it should although not tested while running, not entirely sure how.
*Checked vacuum hoses to the waste gate, all seems fine and valve closes when running.
I've cleaned the 2 sensors behind the throttle on the inlet but have not tried swapping out yet.
Any pointers or anything I could check myself would be greatly appreciated. I've got a cheapy live data reader and will try to get some readings. Thanks everyone
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Re: Partner 1.6hdi erratic over 3000rpm

Post by civvie »

Its gone into limp home mode. There is something the car is not happy with, it needs any fault codes read and put up here then the experts could help you. Be aware cheap code readers sometime can't read specific Peugeot codes. Failing the MOT on emissions could be a clue.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
shanebshane

Post by shanebshane »

Thank you. Unfortunately the cheapy reader hasn't found any codes. Would the engine management come on if there is a code present? There's no light on the dash but I could get some live readings in the next hour or so if that may help, as I'm not too sure what to look at.
civvie
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: different types over the years.when younger
Peugeot 405 estate
xantia estste 1.9d
c5 2.2 hdi hatchback
Peugeot 3008 1.6 hdi
Hyundai tuscon

Post by civvie »

One of the drawbacks of cheapie readers. I would have thought if it had failed the Mot on emissions there would be something there. Areas that may help as I once had a 1.6 hdi Has the Eolys tank been topped up due to the cars age, if so has the ecu been updated. What sort of mileage has the vehicle done. These questions would help members who have better access to help you. It really needs a proper diagnostic on a decent machine, even it is a iffy sensor a fault code should be there. If the car is restricted to about 3000rpm that would indicate the ecu has downgraded the power to protect the engine.
Steve

C5 2.2hdi auto until I sell it (sold it) now have Peugeot 3008 1.6HDI (Now sold)
Had the jab a couple of days ago. Feb 21
shanebshane

Post by shanebshane »

I managed to get some of the live data while running. Not sure how much help it'll be.
IMG_20220409_131502.jpg
IMG_20220409_131754.jpg
IMG_20220409_132007.jpg
shanebshane

Post by shanebshane »

Thanks civvie. I'm really not too sure what had been done to it before I owned it. It was supposed to be a cheapy run around for a few months but it grew on me 😁. I will have a look into that and see what I can find out. The mileage is pretty high at 200,000. If all else fails I'll have to get the mini back out if the garage 😂
shanebshane

Post by shanebshane »

One strange thing about this van though is when I start it up it does beep, but maybe about 10 seconds later it beeps again. When my wife's car does this it displays a message on the center screen where the clock is but this doesn't. Could the previous owner has somehow stopped it showing an error message on there? Considering anything at the moment.