207 1.6 hdi strong fume smell

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm

207 1.6 hdi strong fume smell

Post by citroenxm »

We have had a 2009 1. 6 16v hdi 207 now for just over 5 years. It's a non dpf 90bhp setup and all original at 191k. However it's always a very strong fume smell... From the exhaust outlet.. I know there's a hole in the bottom pipe where it curves under the egnine.. But tail pipe fumes are also very strong.. It's on its second set of lower milage injectors.. But still the same.

Serviced. Every 12k. But just wonderd if anyone knew why it ls fumes smell so strong.

Thanks
nikeastwood

Re: 207 1.6 hdi strong fume smell

Post by nikeastwood »

if its blowing at the small hole in the downpipe that wont be helping

is the turbo boosting properly? if there is a boost leak it will run rich and the exhaust will smell strongly of diesel fumes as a result
citroenxm

Re: 207 1.6 hdi strong fume smell

Post by citroenxm »

Oh there's plenty of go.. Its never been down on power. The smell is strong and it sort of stings the eyes a tiny bit..
It's not a fuel smell it's a soot smell. Maybe the inlet is really chocking with carbon.. I've NEVER had it apart to do anything.. Apart from injector swap and routine servicing..

Prehaps an inlet strip down and observe how she looks.

Further info.. The mpg is great averages around 60mpg. As said no dpf.. And no dmf either. I can understand the small hole in exhaust letting the smell into the car. But why so strong at the tail pipe. I feel sorry for people behind in a que..