Drive Shaft Leak...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
Donor 2020

Drive Shaft Leak...

Post by Doo »

Berlingo Multispace 1.6 ehdi XTR 2012 piloted box.

So, even though I did my best to stop them from popping out, the drive shafts (in turn) still managed to come out a few mm and since then, drip drip drip drip :roll:

I am (now) aware this is common, even though my wife's C4 has had several CV boots and even a couple of new ends done. Her box leaks not a drip!

I believe there are two different seals for my model, which ones are best? Will I need to depressurise the box in order to change and refresh the oil?

Thank you.

EDIT: I just got in and realised no one had the faintest idea what I meant :-D What a plonker. I wuz dis traktid yer honur....
Doo
Donor 2020

Re: Drive Shaft Leak...

Post by Doo »

Looks like I'm on my own here then...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

What's the VIN? Which side do you need? The gearbox oil is separate to the actuator oil as far as I know, I assume it takes 75W80, could be wrong... Are you sure the shafts are pushed in properly?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Here you go Richard:

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

dshaftseals.jpg
3 is driver's side, 4 passenger. £17.33 each from Citroen, you can get them much cheaper elsewhere!
Doo
Donor 2020

Post by Doo »

RichardW wrote:
24 Sep 2021, 23:12
What's the VIN? Which side do you need? The gearbox oil is separate to the actuator oil as far as I know, I assume it takes 75W80, could be wrong... Are you sure the shafts are pushed in properly?
I assumed so! I've done many drive shafts in my time, but Peugeot & Citroen need only move a few mm and it's the Amoco Cadiz on the driveway :roll:

I tend to pull the end right out of the hub and leave the lower ball joint connected. I can then let the shaft push against the hub to kee it in the final drive housing. However, more often than not, the splines are sticky so it can take a few taps to get it out of the hub which can ( and does) result in the other end coming away even slightly.

I spotted a leak so acted quickly, but still lost a couple of spoonfuls. So with the outer end bent and pushing against the hub, I give it a wiggle to make sure it fits home snugly. There's never a click with these so it's hard to tell if it's definately locked in place. But it can't go back any further, so one has to assume it's home.

Recently did a friends 3008 and further back, wife's C4. Both leaked a smidge, but once they were home the leak stopped. So either I damaged the lip of the seal on the Lingo or a bit of dirt found it's way in.

I'll get the one I believe is the culprit (drivers side) and inspect it for scratches.

Is there a chance of fixing a scratch using the lathe and 2000 grit paper, or should I just get a new end if there is a scratch?

I haven't had this issue with any other CV and I remember the first time I did one was on a Talbot Horizon :o That's going back a bit :-D
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Probably just displaced the spring when it came out, new seal should fix it!