508 key programming

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

BobcatJones

508 key programming

Post by BobcatJones »

Hi all, I’ve got a strange one.

After buying my 508 second hand with only 1 ‘original key’ a few years ago, I bought an ‘OEM second key’ and successfully programmed it with diagbox. Happy days!

I won’t bore you with the details why, but I got a additional ‘aftermarket’ key from a reputable uk store (yes I have 3 keys now).

Programming appears to go fine with diagbox, but when I get to the validation stage of the programming diagbox/the car only detects 1 key, not 3.

Only the ‘original key’’s programmed key’s remote buttons/keyless starting work. The 2 other remotes will start the car in the reader, but none of the buttons or keyless starting work.

If I revert back to just programming the original key and OEM key everything works as expected! It’s like the ‘aftermarket key’ is blocking the signal from the ‘OEM replacement key’ I bought.

Is that possible?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: 508 key programming

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Make sure when you programme the keys that you specify the complete number of keys to programme in one session - you indicate 3 keys and then must programme all 3 in the SAME session. If not, any keys not programmed in the same session are locked out.

You then need to repeat the process and do all 3 at the same time. It should ask you for the total number of keys to be programmed before you start.

BobcatJones

Post by BobcatJones »

Thanks Marc,

Yeah I have attempted to do that. All 3 keys were programmed in the same session (as indicated by diagbox), however the issue remains.

I currently have the first two keys programmed fine, but the not the 3rd (aftermarket) key as it seems to block the ‘replacement’ key’s signal from being detected by the car

wheeler

Post by wheeler »

It’s kind of sounding like an incompatible key, is it a Chinese knock off? Is it the correct chip in the key? I would think it will be a 4A chip?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes - it's likely the fob electronics are not compatible with the system on the car.

We've had members here that can use aftermarket fobs to start the car (non-keyless) after programming, but the electronics are not compatible for the remote locking or additional button functions (tailgate opening / Guide Me Home Lights etc.).

Dormouse
Donor 2021

Post by Dormouse »

I have used original s/h key fob innards in "New" imported cases for that very reason. A small faff but at least the electronics are compatible. New transponders usually.