Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moog
Donor 2021

Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

Post by Moog »

My car has developed an intermittent squeak (a sort of 'attempted' squeal) from the right-hand side. I THINK it's worse when I'm cornering so I'm assuming it's the power steering/belt.

Is there any way to adjust the belt on Mk1 1.6 8v (with aircon) ? If not, I'm guessing it's the belt has had enough or the tensioner is getting poorly.

For while before it squealed I did hear a sort of whirring noise on narrow roads where the sound bounces back - so do you think the tensioner bearing is on its way out?

If it's the above, is there anything I should be looking to replace while I'm in there? (Pls don't say the car... :-D )

Many thanks!!
Dormouse
Donor 2021

Re: Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

Post by Dormouse »

Hi. What mileage have the current belts done since being changed?
Moog
Donor 2021

Re: Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

Post by Moog »

Dormouse wrote:
07 Jun 2021, 19:18
Hi. What mileage have the current belts done since being changed?
To be honest, no idea how old the belts are. I got the car in mid-2019 at 61k miles and it's now done 87k. Although it's a 2001 car, I'm the second owner so it's possible it's the original belt - can't see any invoices for one in the stack of paperwork I got at the time.

I probably should have had it done when the cambelt/waterpump was done when I bought it but the mechanic said 'if it ain't broke don't fix it", etc.

I overruled my own preventative nature. I'd usually do stuff while that part of the car is being worked anyway to head off problems later.