Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Moog
Donor 2023
My Cars: Own a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 8v 2001

Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

Post by Moog »

My car has developed an intermittent squeak (a sort of 'attempted' squeal) from the right-hand side. I THINK it's worse when I'm cornering so I'm assuming it's the power steering/belt.

Is there any way to adjust the belt on Mk1 1.6 8v (with aircon) ? If not, I'm guessing it's the belt has had enough or the tensioner is getting poorly.

For while before it squealed I did hear a sort of whirring noise on narrow roads where the sound bounces back - so do you think the tensioner bearing is on its way out?

If it's the above, is there anything I should be looking to replace while I'm in there? (Pls don't say the car... :-D )

Many thanks!!
Dormouse
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Peugeot 3008 Hybrid4, Fiat Ducato, Morris Mini.
plus notable cars I have owned :- Studebaker 1921, Daimler Consorts, Mercedes 220 Pontoon, Simca 1301, Austin Metropolitan, lots and lots of Minis, both steel and fibreglass bodied, Fiat 500F, Citroen GSA's, Skoda Estelle 120 Rally replica, DKW 1000S, Triumph Herald Estate, Warwick GT (very briefly)

Re: Squeaky aux belt or tensioner on Xsara Picasso?

Post by Dormouse »

Hi. What mileage have the current belts done since being changed?
Moog
Donor 2023
My Cars: Own a Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 8v 2001

Post by Moog »

Dormouse wrote: 07 Jun 2021, 19:18 Hi. What mileage have the current belts done since being changed?
To be honest, no idea how old the belts are. I got the car in mid-2019 at 61k miles and it's now done 87k. Although it's a 2001 car, I'm the second owner so it's possible it's the original belt - can't see any invoices for one in the stack of paperwork I got at the time.

I probably should have had it done when the cambelt/waterpump was done when I bought it but the mechanic said 'if it ain't broke don't fix it", etc.

I overruled my own preventative nature. I'd usually do stuff while that part of the car is being worked anyway to head off problems later.
aspire_helen
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.2HDi Exc SE 2001

Post by aspire_helen »

My belt (2001 2.2Hdi) developed a squeak and I agonised over replacing the belt, water pump, idle pulley, alternator etc.. But a simple spray of the belt surfaces with silicone oil eliminated the squeal immediately for a few seconds meaning that none of the rotating shafts/bearings were squealing. I had to repeat the spray several times over a week or two, but the squeak simply went away.