308 T9 AdBlue reinitalisation problem on DiagBox

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Kupsberg
My Cars: Peugeot 308 T9 -15 GT BlueHDi 180hp
Citroen C5 X7 -08 2.0 HDi

308 T9 AdBlue reinitalisation problem on DiagBox

Post by Kupsberg »

Hi all,

my first time around as a regiatered member! Have been around for quite a while searching for fixes to issues on mine or relatives frenchies.

My todays top topic is about my -15 plate T9 308 GT BlueHDi (180bhp). I bought the thing two years ago and had the Urea light emerging within the first vacation after few weeks of joy (ofcourse on vacation..). On which occasion I simply added AdBlue and kept clearing the faults which gave me mileage to finish my vacations of 2500 kilometer. At the end of vacation the urea light did vanish and stayed out of sight till last years December. By this time I knew that the reservoirs pumpunit must be at the closing end of its lifecycle and drove to work and home for two months by just doing the reinitialisation on Diagbox v7.59. I've must have done it a 8 times.or so once it finally did not work any more.
I uninstalled the system and opened the pump-unit on the reservoir. I used 9V battery to test the units pumps, solenoids and so on. Everything seemed to work and I was able to pump water out of a bottle with the 9V battery connected to the pump and solenoid valve (to stay open). Only parts which I was unable to check were the pressure sensor and the actual pressures holding membraine unit. After I had dismantled all of the parts I ran hot water through the whole system as long as the water from the inlet to the pump unit started to feel hot as well. (The reservoir had frozen still as it was -32C degrees outside). Filled the tank with 15 litres of Adblue.

After the full operation I was able to again reinitalize the DENOX system with Diagbox 7.59. After this the faults stayed away for five minutes after which the Urea light came back with CE light as well. Emission control fault and after 50km the mileage was limited to 1200km again. I decided to buy a new pump unit for the reservoir as the membrane is the part which most likely is faulty, wont hold the pressure and as the pump itself stops (pressure acquired) and this causes the P20E8 and now also P20E9.

Today I fitted the room temperature tank-unit to the vehicle with the new pump-unit from a crashed 1400km driven Citroen C5 Aircross -20. After filling it up tried to reinitalize the system with Diagbox, but it would not run the job. It says that the "Conditions not met" asks to retry and if no luck -> turn to the assistance server etc..

Is the problem in Diagbox caused by the Diagbox version being to old or what could it be? When going in to the repair menu and selecting the ECU, it says (has always said) it cannot be found, but it is still possible to access it and manually select the correct options.

I'm starting to get hopeless with this AdBlue-issue, I was almost certain that the problem was the membraine in the old pump unit but now I'm also wondering if my Diagbox is too old for the job..

Anybody has some thoughts after this longish essay?

Thanks in advance!

-J
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 308 T9 AdBlue reinitalisation problem on DiagBox

Post by GiveMeABreak »

HI - in a nutshell - yes, you very likely need a later version of Diagbox. Probably Version 9.** now, but you can't upgrade to this version like the old DB V7. You'll need a standalone version which you'll have to pay a licence for or get a version that runs in VMware.

Sorry this is only a 2 (now 3) line response after your essay - but not sure what else I can say! :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I wonder whether it's anything to do with the need to install new firmware when fitting a complete new tank. The C5 Aircross might have the new type pump. However, as you still have the old electronics (I think) I'm not sure where that leaves you.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

We don't know what exact engines are involved here between the 2 vehicles. Are they identical engines of the same Euro standards? The Engine ECU may be different between the 2 vehicles, and may also have different software as the engine ECU determines and controls the metering of the Adblue.

Marc
Kupsberg

Post by Kupsberg »

Hi, and thanks for the responses! Appreciated!

Would it be easiest to change the motherboard from the old pump-unit to the new pump-unit and try to run the system initialization with the 7.59 which has now been proven to work at least occasionally on the reinitalization job? I wonder if it is necessary then to do the job under "Spare part" as "change of the reservoir, pump-unit or the NOx-injector" at all? Would the reinitalization be enough? (If it were succesfull in this occasion..) As the old motherboard has been configured to work with the current ECU software?

Br
-J
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't advise you on whether this is feasible or not as we don't know enough about the pump mechanics or design to know if it operates the same way.

But the later ECUs on the C5 Aircross will certainly need V9.** of Diagbox to communicate.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 10:56 We don't know what exact engines are involved here between the 2 vehicles. Are they identical engines of the same Euro standards? The Engine ECU may be different between the 2 vehicles, and may also have different software as the engine ECU determines and controls the metering of the Adblue.
I've seen posts elsewhere about pumps off different vehicles being used (off a Vauxhall in one case) and it fixed the problem. I can't be sure but I think that the pump came off a similar age vehicle so may not have suffered from this possible early/late dilemma.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Kupsberg

Post by Kupsberg »

Hi all,

and thanks for the replies!

I took the pump unit off the car again and switched the elements from the new one on top of the old casing and motherboard. They look identical. I hoped this would allow me to get it reinitalized on DiagBox 7.64. No difference. I'm starting to doubt my DiagBox truly.

Has anyone tried out Würths WoW Snooper VCI/software? I looked at youtube a video on which a guy was able to run the reinitalization on Wow on a T9 BlueHDi Peugeot..?
(https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002 ... hweb201603_)

I'm on a bit of a dead end here.. Might try to limp to my nearest PSA dealer and try to reinitialize the system with a proper 9.xx DiagBox they are using. It just a fare bit of a drive (550km) as my range is only 700km anymore. Will get there, but if any issues on the job I wont be able to come back...

BR
-J
Attachments
Pump-units.jpg
Conditions not met - DiagBox 7.64.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hard to say whether your V7.64 software version is new enough. V7.64 was released on 20/02/2015, so may not be able to reset the system, which is why I suggested you perhaps get a standalone version of V9.** and a licence and try that first of all before you trek to the dealer which seems quite a way.

Marc
Kupsberg

Post by Kupsberg »

Hi all,

and replying to my own previous question "Has anyone tried out Würths WoW Snooper VCI/software? I looked at youtube a video on which a guy was able to run the reinitalization on Wow on a T9 BlueHDi Peugeot..?"
- Not possible, as WoW does not really have T9 308 option so there is no BlueHDI option on it. I think you could do it for older 1.6HDI as which has been also on mark 2. The BlueHDI option does not work under 508 either.

I got the 9.68 Diagbox and was able to connect it to my BlueHDI with my older VCI after updating it's firmware. On first five tries the software was informing again about conditions not being met when trying to run any jobs (re-initalization or pump test etc..). After this I disconnected the external charger, disconnected the additional Led bars relay-boxes fuse (XBB-relay unit - https://www.lumise.fi/lisavalot/luminal ... 050120190/). I started the engine for some minutes and continued to the part when the software guides to turn ignition on (engine not running) when carrying out the re-initialization job on Pack repair under ECU. Turned the engine off and the ignition on quickly and then pressed to re-initialize and the job went through succesfully..? After a short test drive the "Emission fault" note came back on dash with Urea-light (CE light did not appear!). Still the 9.68 is not able to clear the faults on the system. (even the intermittent ones...)
After reading the faults again the same faults were present, with only P2BAD 00 the only permanent one. Also there is one Principal relay control. Does anyone have any hints on these? I'm guessing there is still something broken in the system still after repairing the Urea fluid pressure fault etc. I'm worried it might be caused of my driving for 5000km with the emission system faulty and maybe the DPF has gotten clogged? I learned today that the BlueHDI system is quite special as the DPF is after the SCR system and thus the DPF system is somewhat linked to the functioning of SCR?

Happy to hear any new thoughts on this. Just want to get this thing sorted and I can change this diesel one to a petrol one.. (happier with my C5 2.0 HDi!)

BR
J
Attachments
IMG_20210311_133509__01.jpg
IMG_20210311_082747.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi

I don't think this is a Diagbox error to be honest, as that should easily be able to clear a 308 T9 system - I suspect it is because of the other faults you have. If these faults exist, then no amount of resetting are going to resolve the problem whilst these other errors with the system are present.

The SCR system has nothing to do with the DPF system. As you have mentioned, the injection of the Ablue is independent and injected at the Catalytic converter section, prior to the DPF. The DPF additive has a separate system independent of the SCR and each has their own dosing systems, both controlled by the ECU. The SCR is just an additional level of treatment for the NOx.

I can't help you with the P2BAD00, except to say it's generally an Excess NOx - cause unknown, but these are the fault descriptors for the other fault codes you have.

Fault P1199 7B
The first thing you need to do is get some fuel in! Fault P1199 7B is specifically because the fuel level is too low. You need to add a minimum of 10 litres of fuel, and driving for 5 minutes after doing so (not engine running) - or switching the ignition off and then back on again in order to remove that fault.

Whilst this fault is triggered, you may notice the following:
  • Engine hesitating, cutting out
  • Lack of power
  • Fluid leak/smells (diesel fuel, oil, etc.)
  • Starting problem
  • Absence of automatic stopping of the internal combustion engine
  • Deactivation or switching off of the cruise control/speed limiter function
  • Activation of the cruise control or speed limiter function impossible
Suspect Areas:
  • Fuel filter
  • Fuel system
  • Fuel pump gauge module
  • Fuel tank
  • Running out of fuel
Fault P021571

Main relay control: Actuator jammed - Detection of a fault on the main relay control line: Actuator jammed

The fault will clear under the following conditions:
  • After switching the ignition off and then back on
  • When driving
The fault will cause deactivation of the hydraulic compensation strategies of the multiple injections whilst the fault is active and will cause Starting problems and Engine hesitating, cutting out.

Suspect areas are:
  • Engine management ECU
  • Main supply (Relay ; Fuses...)
  • Power supply (Relay ; Fuses...)
  • Electrical harness
  • Connectors
  • Built-in systems interface

Marc
Kupsberg

Post by Kupsberg »

Hi all,

time to update the status of the issue. I finally worked round to get the 9.68 Diagbox working. For some unknown reason the routines/diagnose jobs require the engine running when pressing to the preferred job and when you turn engine off and ignition back on and then click continue the routine begins. If the vehicle is only ignition on and you press any of the jobs the software gives an error "conditions not met".

So once I finally worked round to get the routines going I was able to determine that the AdBlue tanks heating was malfunctioning, thus the whole tank needed replacing. The job done previously was down the toilet, but it was still interesting to find out that it was possible to fix the adblue-pressure problems by changing just the faulty elements inside the pumpunit on the tank. I had to change the AdBlue-tank to a new one and all errors and faults were gone once the reinitalization was succesfull. (This required again a few tries the engine running..)

Issues continue: (unsure if this is worthy of a new topic or is this fine?)

Now I've driven ~5000km vehicle working fine, it started to smoke white gas and smell headachingly much of ammonia. Last week when accelerating to a highway the CE-light came on and vehicle went to limp-mode. The whole lane was on white-cloud of ammonia and you could see/smell this once stopping.

I had the vehicle up on a hoist, and couldn't really see much wrong under the vehicle. I ran the spraypattern test on diagbox and the spray on the adblue injector was superb. There was a small leak on the connection between the exhaust and the injector, and there were some crystallation on the clamp and on the injectors heat-sink. Also the tailpipes inside was full white, very uncool. I also noticed that when revving on the hoist the injector lets air through the heat-sink holes on the middlepart of the injector. I would assume this is not the way its supposed to work? I guess the injectors valve gets open occasionally and exhaust fumes escape partly through the injectors heatsink? There were also faultcodes from the NoxSensor, (heating of the nox sensor P2202 00 and NOx sensor P2A00 00).

I forced the regeneration of the particle filter to clear the excess adblue out of the exhaust, and it worked somewhat okay. The particle filter differential pressure was 0.145 bar -> 145mBar before the regen and after it was dropped to 4-6mBar when idling and when throttling against the limp-rev limit it was top ~40mBar. Still the faultcode persists and is not possible to delete it.

Faultcodes found: (Vehicle in limp mode)

P208E 00 DeNOx system circuit
P20EE 00 Depollution of the deNOx system
P20F6 00 Denox System circuit
P2A00 00 NOx Sensor
P1199 7B Fuel Level
P2463 00 Particle filter
P246C 00 Particle Filter (Permanent - Detected clogged)
P2202 00 Heating of NOx sensor
P16EA 00 Depollution of the deNOx system

What would you fellows guide me to work on? I've ordered new NOx sensor and a new AdBlue-injector, but I'm wondering what to do about the exhaust itself? Should i dismantel it and wash it with hot water and run the regen again? I would assume this would clean the particle filter/SCR/ASC? Any other ideas regarding this matter? What are the two small pipes welded on the side of the SCR, DPF pressuresensors or Eolys-injection points? Just wondering if they require anything extra when dismanteling.

BR
J
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I'm not sure what exactly you have changed - although PSA do not sell the Adblue pumps separately as these are included in the UREA tanks which are not designed to be opened.

From the looks of things you have got separate issues going on:

Adblue leaks, problems with the sensor and the DeNox circuit generally.

Separately you have issues with your DPF - a clogged filter - or more to the point the system is telling you that it has reached the maximum allowed amount of Eolys additive which has been injected into the system and is time to be changed. Injected additive is only estimated and it calculates the amount of unburned matter that has accumulated in the filter like the Cerine, engine deposits, oil / ash and other matter. When it reaches a certain calculated weight it tells you it is time to replace the filter.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023

Post by Paul-R »

If you've fitted a new Adblue tank, as we had to have done, and it's the latest part number then the engine (?) ECU needs updating and this is something that needs a connection to PSU servers - which is basically a dealer only job. I don't know what the result of a new tank and not updating the firmware would be but it's worth bearing in mind.

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Welcome, but please submit your posts in English. Despite it being a French car forum, there are very few members who speak French, or anything other than English, which severely limits the responses you will get.

Try a translator - such as Google Translate - to make your posts legible to our members.