RT4 insert upgrade CD

This is the RT3 unit and was made by Magneti Marelli
The RT3 was available in a few different hardware versions, the later ones supporting MP3 playback. These units had an optical connection to the Display Screen.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

Snoopy2020
My Cars: Citroen C5

RT4 insert upgrade CD

Post by Snoopy2020 »

Hi,
I would be very grateful for any advice with regard to getting my C5 2007 radio satnav working again. I have looked through old posts on this site and elsewhere but can’t quite get the answers I need.
A few weeks ago it started displaying the “insert upgrade CD“. I had a look online and saw a number of different suggestions. So far I have tried...
.. disconnecting the car battery for two minutes then reconnecting - no effect
.. disconnecting the radio satnav for 24 hours then reconnecting- no effect
.. holding down the DARK button for a while - seems to try to reboot and then show the same message
.. holding down the MENU button for a while - does nothing at all.
..I used my basic OBD reader to check for any fault codes on the car and there weren’t any.
.. I bought an upgrade CD with from a well rated seller on eBay - when I inserted this I could hear whirring noises as though it was trying to read the CD for about 20 seconds, it would then eject the CD and after about 10 seconds would reload it all over again. I left it doing this for about half an hour but there was no on screen progress i.e. the screen sometimes went black when it appeared to try to reboot and then just showed the insert upgrade message again.
.. after reading that the copy CDs are sometimes faulty, I went to Citroen and bought a genuine CD but this only did the same as the copy.
.. I contacted a reasonably well-known car stereo repairer which advertised that it could repair the RT4 model and asked them what they might charge to repair the hard disk if that was at fault. They told me it was extremely unlikely that it was the hard drive but whatever the problem it was likely to cost several hundred pounds.
.. I have looked online to see about buying a direct replacement and it seems as though these are not commonly available now, but if they are, come in the at about £200 without a guarantee.
.. I don’t tend to use the RT4 satnav and the telephone function is a bit hit and miss as it often can’t recognise the Sim card which I assume is down to the Sim card holder as I have tried other SIM cards and so looked at downgrading to a cheaper secondhand replacement but I am not sure if they have the same fixing points into the dashboard and they seem to have a different aerial connection.
...... sorry for the long ramble of all that I’ve done but I thought it was easier to run through that than have people being helpful offering some suggestions that I’ve already tried.
My questions are firstly, am I right in thinking that the problem is likely to be the HDD, and if so any ideas where I might get one or an alternative to the original Hitachi Endurastar which wouldn’t require any prior formatting etc? Is it fairly simple to fit the hard drive or is it likely to require special equipment etc (I have previously fitted HDD’s in laptops which was very straightforward)
Secondly, if it’s going to be difficult or complicated to repair, are there any simple plug-in alternatives such as a secondhand RT3 unit- would this require a an adapter for the aerial for example?
Thank you very much in advance for any help anyone can give.
3716AEF5-ABDA-471D-80E0-7F0F8BEA1CAC.jpeg
5FD015A4-4E78-4A69-8FFA-9D90CC904D35.jpeg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: RT4 insert upgrade CD

Post by GiveMeABreak »

With regard to the SIM - it's best to use as basic a SIM card as you can get - some of the 3G, 4G ones today can cause problems.

As for the other problems, a basic OBD reader very likely won't be able to interrogate all the ECUs on a car like this, especially the Head Units. There are no real suggestions I can offer without a diagnostic - as it could be anything from the internal chips or the Hard Drive (of which the PATA automotive grade drives are very hard to come by).

There is a chap who does repairs on the RT* systems who has been used by members on here and other Forums. Have a look at Autotronics on the repair thread here:

viewtopic.php?t=60781

He is very reasonable and has a lot of experience repairing these.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Snoopy2020

Post by Snoopy2020 »

Thanks for taking the time to reply the information is really useful.
I will contact Autotronics and go from there.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No problems - let us know the outcome. As you've found out these older units are getting extremely rare to get hold of, so a repair is a good way to keep the integrated systems working.

Marc
Snoopy2020

Post by Snoopy2020 »

Hi, I messaged Autotronics but haven’t had a reply yet, in the meantime I have found someone selling the same model as mine which might possibly be the easier option in the short term. I wondered if you could tell me if it’s a simple plug and play swap over or is there any code entering that would need to be done in introducing a head unit from another car into mine. The seller has the vin number for the car that the head unit has come from.
I noticed that when I removed the head unit from my car, there was no code asked for when I reconnected it I wasn’t sure if this was because the head unit it was already electronically paired.
If any additional codes are likely, would you know where I could get them from?
Many thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The units are VIN coded to the vehicle, so no codes are needed - which means you will need Diagbox to code your VIN to the unit. There are members here who have kits that have offered to help.

As far as other configuration goes, you will have most of the options already set, but you may need to have the type of parking assistance configured (Rear, or Front & Rear or Absent), and the type of screen (if the unit was from a Peugeot, then it may have the retractable screen as many of these Peugeot models do - which is not used on Citroen vehicles). But most of the other settings should be correct, assuming this has come from Europe.

FCF members who have offered help can be found here:

Lexia Owner List and Map

At the end of the list, there is a link to a Google Map, that will show you geographically where they are. Just send a Private Message to anyone suitable - although bear in mind not all members are as active as others, but we do update the list regularly.

Marc
Snoopy2020

Post by Snoopy2020 »

Thanks for that, I’ll give it a try. Thankfully the unit came out of another C5
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great, well that's half the battle. If you want to pop up your VIN and the donor VIN, I can check the other C5 against your options and that should let me know what else needs changing, if anything. (VINs are automatically masked from public view once submitted - but staff can see them).

Marc
Snoopy2020

Post by Snoopy2020 »

Hi Marc, I have fitted the replacement stereo head unit which I was told comes from a C5 with the VIN —. VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
My car has the VIN —. VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
I have spoken to John ( jgra1 ) and he has kindly agreed to use his Lexia to see if he can restore full function.
Currently the new unit makes a very loud beeping every time I try to use any function that has audio eg sat nav or radio and it doesn’t swap between audio sources either on the unit or on the steering column stalk. Other than that though it’s a big improvement already to have the display back.
Many thanks for any further information you can provide on this and any suggestions as to any particular areas on the Lexia menu that we should be looking in.
Graeme
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That beeping is because it hasn't been VIN coded to your vehicle and will remain until it has.

Ok, so I've checked all the specs and although yours is a 2.2 and the other one is 1.6, the options are the same regarding parking and lighting etc., so should be nothing else to configure apart from the VIN coding.

Marc
Snoopy2020

Post by Snoopy2020 »

Excellent, thanks for that.
I’ll let you know how we get on
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi all, Snoopy and I spent a cold two hours today but no luck.. I opened Diagbox, selected the car (C5R) - the middle one. and we were offered something call SCANTOOL and Lexia.. within Lexia the following was available:

Diagnosis;
replacement parts; (I think we could only add one thing in here, Lane warning departure!)
Download (ECU flash)
Something Maintenance (this related to DPF)
configure diagnostic tool
and a couple of others that didn't look helpful.

Diagnosis did allow the possibility to install and uninstall things like the Radio and CD player for example.

Nowhere was obvious for Radio coding, and even the install / uninstall didn't connect / work as such..

Interestingly, during global checks, the radio was not found.

Snoopy may remember aspects better.. I am a bit under the weather today.

Were we even close? We didn't have many options left, except download menu.

John
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So for the MK II, yes, choose Lexia, then it will ask for the RPO - enter 11053.
Then run the Global Test
Look for the Audio Icon on the Left, I can't remember what this will say, but usually when it checks the Head Unit ECU the radio normally turns on or the volume increases momentarily when it connects with it.
WHen you have located the Head unit ECU, select and confirm it and then you will get into the other menus specific to the head unit.
You should then see configuration, manual configuration, where you can input the VIN or part of it, depending on system.

Marc
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

many thanks Marc. where did you get that RPO from? I think I used a different one, 10052 or something, as that looked like the only obvious number inside the door shut.

Snoopy, lets try again, happy to come to you, will be a good excuse for a ride out. We will take some screenshots in case we don't progress.

John
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi John

The RPO is from the VIN that the OP posted for me and should be the one for VIN ending 916. Confirmed as 11053 (12 February 2007).

RPO of 10052 would give a build date of 17 May 2004 which will make a big difference on equipment / options as the face lift (MK II) only came in from September 2004.

So these RT4 Head units were not installed / available for the MK I C5 and that may well be why it could not pick it up using an older database for a MK I.

Marc