Rear wheel locked

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

moizeau
Donor 2020

Rear wheel locked

Post by moizeau »

An odd thing has happened twice now. I rarely leave the van with the handbrake on, just in gear. On two occasions now (I think after I have used the handbrake, though not sure) I've gone to reverse off the drive and it feels like the handbrake is on, no it's not, tried to go forwards, backwards, still the same. The first time it happened I jacked up each rear wheel at a time and they were both free?? Put it back on it's feet and drove off. This morning, same again. Lifted the rear right and the wheel was locked but not solid. It had movement back and forth like a front wheel if it was in 1st. Sounded the same as well. It was drizzling so quickly whipped the wheel off to see if there was anything obvious? Ah I've got drums, and not like drums I've seen before, some 'drum protector' (according to the BOLs) held on by a big clamp. Turned the drum back and forth a few times and it freed. Due to the rain getting heavier, wheel back on, get inside, read the BOLs. I've not had chance to do any more due to weather but would be interested if anyone has heard of this before. No play in the wheel bearing and it's not the shoes stuck??
Any thoughts before I dive in greatly appreciated.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: Rear wheel locked

Post by CitroJim »

I've had this happen on a 206 and was caused by the friction material on one of the brake shoes becoming detached from the brake shoe and causing exactly the symptoms you describe...

It could also be caused by a partially seizing brake cylinder...

I'd get the suspect drum off and have a look...

You may experience difficulty in removing the drum if either of the above are the cause as it may prevent the shoes retracting sufficiently to allow easy drum removal... If so, use a hub puller on the drum...

Be aware that if it's necessary to undo the hub nut to remove the drum, a new nut must be fitted on reassembly...

moizeau
Donor 2020

Post by moizeau »

Thanks Jim, yes, now you mention it a shoe breaking up would do it. It would also explain why it has happened when the handbrake was left on. It's been donkeys years since I've played with drum brakes (like about 30!).

moizeau
Donor 2020

Post by moizeau »

BOLs strikes again
IMG_20210208_133504.jpg
Mine doesn't have this, just the cable going into the drum.
Needless to say the drum won't come off. I think the shoes are stopping it. It moves a little but wants to spring back.
Question, When I borrow a puller to wrench it off how much damage is it likely to do? Shoes, guessing springs, possibly handbrake cable?
Would this be a fair assessment?
There is no mention anywhere about a little hole to access the handbrake adjuster with it being automatic so I'm guessing this isn't an option?

Don't you just love it when something that should take 15 minutes takes ......

(Didn't mention earlier 'cause it's in my list of cars but it's the Dispatch 2010)

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It will be being held by a lip on the back of the drum - how big this is will determine how much you will wreck pulling it off! Hopefully it will slide over the shoes and not rip the the springs off the back plate!

moizeau
Donor 2020

Post by moizeau »

First day above zero and without rain here. Borrowed a monster puller and it came off very easily indeed, no damage what so ever. The advantage of keeping the drum nice and square on.
Lots of brake dust and rust, shoes perfectly intact and well within the service limit. The auto handbrake adjuster was a bit seized but not massively so that was freed off. It had to be adjusted anyway to get the drum back on. Lots of scraping, wire brushing and brake cleaner. Put it back together. Part of my is glad nothing was broken, part of me not. Maybe the handbrake was a bit over adjusted (too heavy a pull) or maybe just the s**t.
Time will tell.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Pleased it looks like it's now resolved Pete :)

Fingers crossed it stays that way 🤞