Clio 2 Heater Blower

This is the Forum for all your Renault Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Clio 2 Heater Blower

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

A delve into a common problem

I am putting this up as a marker. Youtube is a bit devoid of Clio 2 Heater blower vids....and I find most of them are in Spanish. I half expected the blower motor to be inside the cabin, but no...in the scuttle in the engine bay.

First part of access ie taking the windscreen wipers off looks far too simple. I have struggled myself when most of the tricks penetration oil and the rest failed on more than one occasion to remove windscreen wipers. The bond with the splined arms can be stronger than a weld!". Really could do with a little puller to ease the anticipated pain of this simple stage.

Much easier than reading a haynes seeing whats involved, but no endorsement of any of the methods used in the vid from me. Very useful for seeing whats involved in a common problem to solve.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: Clio 2 Heater Blower

Wipers as expected rock solid on, definite proper tool required to make the job easy.

However good news in spite of it being the first part of the vid, you dont need to take the wipers off to remove the bit of the plastic scuttle at the drivers side (RHD) on the Clio 2. There is another separate little plastic corner bit for which also just unclips with a bit of fiddling giving good access to the motor and the resistor.

Darkness and drizzle stopped play after about 20 minutes token effort.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

I feel a room 101 entry coming on, athough at the rate of 1/6th a turn at a time eventually its coming out.

What attaches the blower motor to the rest of the heating and vent gubbins? Yes four 6mm little screws (6mm..,very funny Renault). Three are alright to get at. The fourth has been engineered to be difficult. Often you wonder why there are various protrustion and mouldings on bits of car. Well they are purposely designed so you cant get a reasonable turn on a spanner/ socket or whatever to undo fastenings.

Yes and how many of you have a 6mm offset spanner in their toolbag. Not me, but even if I had it would be too long or not have enough offset in it to avoid the unnecesary bulge.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/spanners ... lsrc=aw.ds

Well I had to resort to the small molegrips and a socket, and yes it works, but its at a snails pace.
Clio 2 Blower Motor....irritatingly placed fastener
Clio 2 Blower Motor....irritatingly placed fastener
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

There's nothing wrong with the motor, connected it up direct with a couple of leads and it spins freely.
Motor fine,  Heater Resistor-not so fine
Motor fine, Heater Resistor-not so fine
The resistor pack looks a bit rusty to me. Might clean up but maybe its best to get a new one. Knowing me I'll most likely try the scrapyards first.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

A new part is not that expensive
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 10 Dec 2020, 23:26 A new part is not that expensive
Ordered the new part, then thought I'll just waste some time cleaning the old one up with a file, and a bit of air intake and carburettor cleaner. Tested it out, and hey presto 1,2,3, and 4 speeds functioning again. :-D

Put everything back in place, job done for now.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

On the minus side.....French car electrics did what French car electrics do. Work one minute then don't the next.

From doing an up and down several times on fan speeds 1,2,3, and 4 and everything working fine last night, on the drive down to return the car, I had 4 but nothing else, then nothing at all.

On the plus side the new part arrived when I got back, after only ordering it yesterday lunchtime. Good decision, clearly the efforts with the file and air intake and carburettor cleaner weren't a permanent fix.
Quick Delivery
Quick Delivery
REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 14:19 On the minus side.....French car electrics did what French car electrics do. Work one minute then don't the next.

From doing an up and down several times on fan speeds 1,2,3, and 4 and everything working fine last night, on the drive down to return the car, I had 4 but nothing else, then nothing at all.

On the plus side the new part arrived when I got back, after only ordering it yesterday lunchtime. Good decision, clearly the efforts with the file and air intake and carburettor cleaner weren't a permanent fix.

REgards Neil
Fitted the new part today, but not before giving the motor and its 17 tear old brushes and commutator a bit of a dowse and squirt of contact cleaner. Again as of now back to working on all 4 settiings.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey