Oh no 🤦🏼‍♂️ I've just bought another Xantia !

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Re: Oh no 🤦🏼‍♂️ I've just bought another Xantia !

Post by xantia_v6 »

zs&tas wrote: 12 Dec 2020, 14:21 I feel it was electronic as the dash lights were on too as if it was running ?
If it is just the charging warning light coming on after switching off the ignition, then that would be due to the alternator back-feeding to the ignition circuit via the warning bulb. That would push the blame back towards the injection pump.
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

you know what i think the dash was lit because i stalled it to stop it lol, atm im pulling fuse B out , no idea what it is but it stops the ignition being on .
im off to lay under the back ( on ramps ) to see if i can get to the route of the rear end not coming down ;(
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

It could be that the "dog bone" has come off the linkage from the rear anti-roll bar to the rear height corrector. See item 6:

[/quote]

ok so ive been under looking at this for a while , i cannot get the rear down / to move at all. it looks like the valve no.1 in the pic is not moving as it should ? im not sure , or why its happening , i say this as the mechanism seems to be moving freely and ok but the springs in the mechanism are taking up the slack as this valve piece seems not to be moving .

any ideas ?
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

i should say the front moves as it should .
Armidillo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Armidillo »

Perhaps the clamp (item 3 or 4 in the parts diagram) has slipped/rotated around the ARB?

I know you've got the rear up on ramps, but if you try to adjust the position of the clamp, you could finish up with the rear of the car sitting on it's bump stops very quickly, so please be sure that if that happens there will still be sufficient space for you!
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

hi yes ive tried moving manually just by removing the dog bone, nothing happens .
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team

Post by xantia_v6 »

The height corrector valve does not move very much, and you probably won't detect te movement visually even when it is working normally, failure of the valve itself is unheard of.

If the dog-bone is intact, the next most common problem is that the pivots in the mounting cradle get rusted up, causing it to seize. You really need to remove the cradle to free up the pivots. You can remove the cradle complete with the valve, or you can unbolt the valve and leave it hanging on the pipes and wriggle out the cradle.

If you want to go the full 9 yards, here is a a guide to refurbishment: viewtopic.php?t=54012, there are many other relavent posts to be found with a forum search.
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

Thanks ok so maybe the valve is working then 🤷🏼‍♂️ but when I remove the dog bone I can move the mechanism freely . Maybe it does all need to come off
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

I was hamering away (carefully) to get more movement but no ? . So if it's stuck UP and I want to remove that part , what's the easiest way to drain and lower the rear before hand ?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall that citronut used to say "work and lube, work and lube" to sort out mechanical height adjusters.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team

Post by myglaren »

He did indeed - have a look at this, mostly Malcolm's contributions.
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

haha no wories , ive just been out there working it again, couple of questions :
1. as xantia_v6 mentioned i can remove the craddle but leave the valve in there .
2. if i remove the valve what is the best way ? or which pipe if i unscrew will all the fluid be released and the back sink down ? i need to know to A, be ready and B, catch the fluid.
3. is there anything im missing to help the back go down if i am manually trying to operate the valve on the car ? engine running ? brakes on or off ? idk . the front dropped right away when the interior lever was moved into position with the engine switched off , i was hoping manually moving the valve might achieve this right now.
4. all bolts are loosened and everything is ready to come out if this is what needs to be done :saber:
zs&tas

Post by zs&tas »

I have removed the height corrector, I am surprised that the suspension is still up , I would have thought that I would have sunk by removing that hydraulic valve ? Anyways it does all move around , no perfect but it does. I will take the valve apart next 👍
ksanturion10

Post by ksanturion10 »

Still awaiting some hint about my question ;)
You probably have an Anti-Sink system plus if it is really an Hydractive version, then you have to run the engine for sure, and if I was you, I would put back the corrector, set it to Highest possible setting, and then with your foot on the brake -> set it to Lowest, and repeat until it goes unstuck... 8-[
Only himself the stupid makes wrong, many are being confused by the clever :P
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim has (on his website) a clear guide on taking apart a height corrector.

http://www.eastment.net/hcrefurb/index.htm
Last edited by Hell Razor5543 on 18 Dec 2020, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!