Windows Live USB

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle

Windows Live USB

Post by doctle »

I have been doing some research and I gather you can make a "live" windows USB using windows 8 that will run on any computer. I have never used windows 8 I assume it's worse than 7 and better than 10?
It struck me that maybe a live USB would run diagnostic software from a windows install rather than using a virtual machine. Have any of you guys tried this or heard of it being done? I'm currently using Manjaro Linux on the laptop, it's blazing fast but I can't figure out how to set up the virtual machine on it.

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Windows Live USB

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I doubt it very much to be honest - it is limited in what it can do and won't have the same capabilities. You'll also need a licence, and a very large capacity USB Drive at least 32-64 Gb (and USB 2 will be really slow) in size but moreover I really doubt you will get programmes like Diagbox to run using this method, but is should be ok for basic Apps.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like Windows PXE .. That's the only Windows I know that will run from a USB stick or CD and it's intended as a very lightweight Windows to initially boot and prepare a 'bare metal' machine for the full installation of a Windows OS...

In my experience, Windows 7 was good and 8 was rather poor in comparison... Microsoft had a habit of releasing a good OS followed by a bad one and then a good one...

Windows 95, Windows ME, Vista and Windows 8 were the bad ones between 98, XP, 7 and 10!!!

doctle

Post by doctle »

Dang