Windows Live USB

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Windows Live USB

Post by doctle »

I have been doing some research and I gather you can make a "live" windows USB using windows 8 that will run on any computer. I have never used windows 8 I assume it's worse than 7 and better than 10?
It struck me that maybe a live USB would run diagnostic software from a windows install rather than using a virtual machine. Have any of you guys tried this or heard of it being done? I'm currently using Manjaro Linux on the laptop, it's blazing fast but I can't figure out how to set up the virtual machine on it.
Oh buggle
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Windows Live USB

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I doubt it very much to be honest - it is limited in what it can do and won't have the same capabilities. You'll also need a licence, and a very large capacity USB Drive at least 32-64 Gb (and USB 2 will be really slow) in size but moreover I really doubt you will get programmes like Diagbox to run using this method, but is should be ok for basic Apps.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Sounds like Windows PXE .. That's the only Windows I know that will run from a USB stick or CD and it's intended as a very lightweight Windows to initially boot and prepare a 'bare metal' machine for the full installation of a Windows OS...

In my experience, Windows 7 was good and 8 was rather poor in comparison... Microsoft had a habit of releasing a good OS followed by a bad one and then a good one...

Windows 95, Windows ME, Vista and Windows 8 were the bad ones between 98, XP, 7 and 10!!!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
doctle
My Cars: 2008 Laguna 1.5 DCi

Post by doctle »

Dang
Oh buggle