205 dieselfuel filter pot XUD 7

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

makemine205

205 dieselfuel filter pot XUD 7

Post by makemine205 »

I have a problem with fuel leakage from the little white cross headed part at the base of the fuel filter pot.
If i attempt to remove the spring finger clip to gain access to the plastic filter is there an O-ring on that piece and if so what size O-ring is it , is there a real danger of damaging the finger clip and if so where can i buy a direct replacement .
Any help or advice is welcome please.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Re: 205 dieselfuel filter pot XUD 7

Post by CitroJim »

It's a thermostat in the bottom of the filter housing and well known for leaking... It's role is to divert fuel into a labyrinth in the thermostat housing to warm the fuel in cold weather...

You don't need it in Spain! We don't need it in the UK either... Only where the brass monkeys shiver might it be needed....

My fix is to remove the housing, clean it very thoroughly using a solvent to remove every trace of diesel and oil around the white crosshead, rough the area up a bit to give a 'key' and then fill the area around the white crosshead with generous amounts of epoxy resin to completely seal it...

Cleanliness is critical as any trace of diesel or oil will prevent the resin from bonding well.

This method has worked for me on several occasions...

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Thank you for the tip , does the filter pot have to be taken off or is it achievable in situ ?.. I would prefer to take it apart and see whats needed , like an O-ring but there is no data on any how to , i have searched high and low , not even a diagram ???.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it's essential to remove the filter housing (pot)...

It's easy, remove the top, remove the filter element... Drain the housing and then undo the large bolt in the bottom of the housing...

Be sure to keep hold of the seal between the filter housing and the thermostat housing...

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Is there any need to drain the coolant ?.

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

makemine205 wrote:
09 Oct 2020, 09:17
Is there any need to drain the coolant ?.
Happily, no :D

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Ok many thanks for the help.