205 dieselfuel filter pot XUD 7

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

makemine205
My Cars: 205 diesel

205 dieselfuel filter pot XUD 7

Post by makemine205 »

I have a problem with fuel leakage from the little white cross headed part at the base of the fuel filter pot.
If i attempt to remove the spring finger clip to gain access to the plastic filter is there an O-ring on that piece and if so what size O-ring is it , is there a real danger of damaging the finger clip and if so where can i buy a direct replacement .
Any help or advice is welcome please.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 205 dieselfuel filter pot XUD 7

Post by CitroJim »

It's a thermostat in the bottom of the filter housing and well known for leaking... It's role is to divert fuel into a labyrinth in the thermostat housing to warm the fuel in cold weather...

You don't need it in Spain! We don't need it in the UK either... Only where the brass monkeys shiver might it be needed....

My fix is to remove the housing, clean it very thoroughly using a solvent to remove every trace of diesel and oil around the white crosshead, rough the area up a bit to give a 'key' and then fill the area around the white crosshead with generous amounts of epoxy resin to completely seal it...

Cleanliness is critical as any trace of diesel or oil will prevent the resin from bonding well.

This method has worked for me on several occasions...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Thank you for the tip , does the filter pot have to be taken off or is it achievable in situ ?.. I would prefer to take it apart and see whats needed , like an O-ring but there is no data on any how to , i have searched high and low , not even a diagram ???.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Yes, it's essential to remove the filter housing (pot)...

It's easy, remove the top, remove the filter element... Drain the housing and then undo the large bolt in the bottom of the housing...

Be sure to keep hold of the seal between the filter housing and the thermostat housing...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Is there any need to drain the coolant ?.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

makemine205 wrote: 09 Oct 2020, 09:17 Is there any need to drain the coolant ?.
Happily, no :D
Jim

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Ok many thanks for the help.
makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

So, i have now taken apart a 205 xud7 fuel pot and found out what's behind that finger clip and inside HMMM. Searched high and low for info but found nothing .
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

makemine205 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 08:41Searched high and low for info but found nothing .
What exactly do you want to know about this device? I'm sure whatever it is I can tell you what you want to know :wink: :)
Jim

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Am i right in saying theres a thermostat in there , i,m currently trying to find "o" rings for the gubbins in there . Would you bieleive i can find rebuild kits for American diesels but nothing for Peugeot !
Not even an independent manufacturer , its a shame to throw the whole bowl away when a simple fix is all thats required, the finger o-ring took 20 mins to get out taking it slowly bit by bit .
For the sake of about 2 quids worth of o rings its a new filter housing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

makemine205 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 14:44 Am i right in saying theres a thermostat in there
Yes, it's a thermostat but not needed in temperate climes, especially Spain :wink:

It's not needed in the UK and in the past many diesel Citroens have suffered issues with their diesel pre-heaters and never ever suffered for having them bypassed...

In the 'cold' position it directs fuel into a labyrinth above the thermostat housing to warm it...

The recommendation, when they were available, was to replace them. I don't believe rebuild kits have ever been available for them.

If you do find an O ring in a size that fits, be sure to check it is tolerant of modern diesel... best to look for one made of Viton or similar...
Jim

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Thanks for the info, just sourced the "O" ring for the important end of the white plastic thermostat cage ie the end that leaks , fits like a treat and is a fuel resistant type , got a couple of others too , going to change them out and see what happens, should be interesting. As for the finger washer that that holds the lot in , hmmm , drawn a blank , might be a peugeot special production part .
Well it really does get brass monkeys here in winter , this aint no south coast job except in summer then it can get up to mid 30s deg C . In winter there is a local mountain where the Ski freaks get onto , went there once and was very popular !.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

makemine205 wrote: 29 Oct 2020, 17:15 Well it really does get brass monkeys here in winter
I forget parts of Spain can be mountainous.. As a keen cyclist who follows the Vuelta I really should know better :roll: :lol:

But surely not so brass monkeys that modern diesel fuel requires pre-heating before entering the pump?
Jim

makemine205

Post by makemine205 »

Er , very mountainous in parts and very long stretches of roads , only for the seriously hard or insane cyclist LOL.
Winter is ground frost and can get down to -10 / 12 C, don't know how diesel performs at those temps without a heater ?. Interesting question, would it matter if the injector pump was Lucas or Bosch ?.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

If the Spanish are like the UK then they will provide a 'winter' diesel that remains free-flowing down to much lower temperatures than the normal summer brew...

-10 is no problem... And pump makes no difference... It often hits -10 here in the UK and our winter diesel copes perfectly...

Fact is that as soon as the engine is running then heat from the engine block will keep the pump warm and do a bit of fuel heating...
Jim