Citroen dispatch mk1 no switched live fuse good

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnDragonMan
My Cars: Citroen Dispatch (2005)
Fiat Panda 4x4 Sisley (1991)
XUD/HDI engines

Citroen dispatch mk1 no switched live fuse good

Post by JohnDragonMan »

So I have an issue in my van.. the radios switched live does not work. I have swapped the fuse ( numbered 24, 5th fuse down) for other ones that are still fine, swapped the fuse position from ignition to constant live. I have 12v at the fuse but no matter what I can not get 12v through the pink corner wire on the radio power connector. I have no continuity between the radio plug and the right (or middle if you class both fuse positions) pin in the fuse box. For now I am going to wire it in to another switched live source but it would be nice to know where the pink wire goes to. Does it go direct to the fuse box?

Thanks all!
Attachments
20200527_172115.jpg
20200527_172100.jpg
- JohnDragonMan
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Citroen dispatch mk1 no switched live fuse good

Post by white exec »

As well as checking the circuit diagram for the perm live wire, might also be worth checking that the "shunt" fuse (jumper) is in the right place in the fusebox. It has a storage/delivery position (which prevents items like radio from draining current) and a 'customer' position which enables several perm-live functions.
Just a thought.
Chris
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Are we talking about the 2005 model in your profile? If so this is a mk2.
The pink wire your holding (BH06C) is meant to be permanent live from Fuse 6, this goes to pin 7 of the radio plug.
The other pink wire (A24) that goes to pin4 of the radio connector is the one that is switchable via fuse 24 between accessories & permanent.
According to the diagram It goes directly from the fusebox to the radio connector without going through any splices or connectors. Might be worth checking the plugs on the rear of the fusebox if there is no continuity.
JohnDragonMan
XUD/HDI engines

Post by JohnDragonMan »

hmm thanks i will check the back of the fuse box. thing is, i have had the battery disconnected for about a month or so while i was auto carpeting the back. before that the radio worked fine and no work has been done under the dash or anywhere near fuse boxes.

... so a facelift is classed as a mk2?
- JohnDragonMan
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JohnDragonMan wrote: 29 May 2020, 00:35 ... so a facelift is classed as a mk2?
Yes there's not much in it but the facelift is known as a Dispatch 2 & the 2007 onwards model is the mk 3.

Maybe something been disturbed when you had the CPH out checking for alarm feeds??
JohnDragonMan
XUD/HDI engines

Post by JohnDragonMan »

wheeler wrote: 29 May 2020, 09:50 Yes there's not much in it but the facelift is known as a Dispatch 2 & the 2007 onwards model is the mk 3.

Maybe something been disturbed when you had the CPH out checking for alarm feeds??
hmm maybe it made me wonder if theres some kind of "auto power off" like there's on the blower motor. well my blowers seem to only work after the engine has been running?? i thought that blew a fuse but no, started the engine and they came on.
hmm i actually would not mind finding an "engine live" for a split charge system.

got the passenger seat out at the moment fitting a diesel air heater under it. need to make a heat shield to protect the fuel lines from its exhaust though. cant be too careful!
- JohnDragonMan
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

JohnDragonMan wrote: 29 May 2020, 21:48 well my blowers seem to only work after the engine has been running?? i thought that blew a fuse but no, started the engine and they came on.
hmm i actually would not mind finding an "engine live" for a split charge system.
This is normal operation on many PSA vehicles the heater blowers & heated rear screen wont work unless the engine is running, this just makes complete sense to me & dont understand why all cars dont do this, I cant understand any need to use the heated screen or blowers without the engine running unless of course your looking to deliberately flatten your battery?
There is an engine running relay in the under bonnet fusebox.

P.S. Did you go for an Eberspacher or a Chinese copy ? I took a punt on a Chinese copy & must say I'm well impressed with it.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

That's right.
There are essentially 4 power 'sources' available:
- permanent battery live
- live provided by IGN switch, in Acc (1st click)
- live provided by IGN switch, with IGN fully on (2nd click)
- live provided with engine running, via the Engine Running relay

The circuit diagram for the vehicle will have the detail for all of these.
Chris
JohnDragonMan
XUD/HDI engines

Post by JohnDragonMan »

yes this is good, i can put that info to good use.
wheeler wrote: 30 May 2020, 09:25 P.S. Did you go for an Eberspacher or a Chinese copy ? I took a punt on a Chinese copy & must say I'm well impressed with it.
i went for a chinese copy. i got the genuine 2kw version (smaller than the 5-8kw unit).
i have had loads of these diesel heaters in the past, i heated the house for free over the whole of winter just on reclaimed oil. its impressive what these things will actually run on. i did a youtube video of me cleaning it out. just look for "JohnDragonMan" on youtube and have a look through my videos.
- JohnDragonMan
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I originally got a 5kw version as there is practically no difference in price but it was just slightly too big to fit it where I wanted it to go so got a 2kw instead which is totally fine.
I sold the 5kw on to a mate which I ended up having to do a full clean out & de coke on after a few months, turns out the idiot was turning it off by just pulling the fuse out instead of using the power off button as "it was taking too long to switch off" #-o
I'll check out you videos.