Citroen C4 2007 hdi Towing Electrics...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo

Citroen C4 2007 hdi Towing Electrics...

Post by Doo »

First of all, apologies for my long absence. I've had a few things to deal with...

Second, I am sure this subject has been asked/covered many times, but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question.

I wired in a 7 pin socket to our hatchback and after a couple of boobies (I shorted the tail lights and a red herring was one of the 301 bulbs had actually died of old age, but it confuddled me for a bit :oops: :lol: ) I managed to get the system working fine.

Now I knew the car had can bus and wasn't particularly concerned, after all I was simply adding tails to the loom. Everything works beautifully while pulling our 29yo Swift.

My question is, should I really have to install a smart relay? I have wired it correctly (I detest these sorts who put left/right tail lights onto one side so if the fuse goes you are left with no side lights on your trailer...) and the car does everything it should.

However, I can't tell if out car has a dash warning for a trailer being plugged in (you know the indicator flashes fast if a bulb is blown on the trailer) and such.

Anyhoo, any advice will be gladly taken on board.

I have ordered an automatic split charge relay (self switching) for the caravan battery & fridge. Looking for a pointer as to should I wire the main + to the alternator output or just onto the battery + terminal as I am unsure if this car has a smart alternator or a standard one!

So many questions #-o

Thanks all :)

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Citroen C4 2007 hdi Towing Electrics...

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't speak for any aftermarket setup, but the Citroen kits come are designed to work with a trailer fuse box unit and there are several dedicated electrical kits - one for standard towing and I think another for where you need to charge a fridge for example. These kits and the trailer relay are designed to work with the vehicles electrical systems - incorporating a special towing programme for the Electronic Stability Programme (where fitted) and switching off of reversing sensors etc.

wheeler

Post by wheeler »

Doo wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:40

I have ordered an automatic split charge relay (self switching) for the caravan battery & fridge. Looking for a pointer as to should I wire the main + to the alternator output or just onto the battery + terminal as I am unsure if this car has a smart alternator or a standard one!
By self switching do you mean voltage sensing ? If so then it should go straight to the battery + (via a suitable fuse of course) as that is kind of the point of them, to avoid having to tap into the alternator wiring.
Also do yourself a favour while you are at it, Upgrade your socket on the car & van to the 13 pin type, the design is far superior to those horrible 7 pin things. I wouldn't ever use a 7 pin type again even if only using single electrics.

Doo

Post by Doo »

wheeler wrote:
13 May 2020, 13:31
Doo wrote:
13 May 2020, 12:40

By self switching do you mean voltage sensing ? If so then it should go straight to the battery + (via a suitable fuse of course) as that is kind of the point of them, to avoid having to tap into the alternator wiring.
Also do yourself a favour while you are at it, Upgrade your socket on the car & van to the 13 pin type, the design is far superior to those horrible 7 pin things. I wouldn't ever use a 7 pin type again even if only using single electrics.
Hi, yes voltage sensing. The reason for my question was I read somewhere that someone had an issue with their smart alternator... Our C4 is a 2007 so while clever, it's not terribly so :-D

We don't have fancy suspension (apart from the new Monroe's I fitted on the back a few weeks ago) and has a nice manual hand brake lever. The only thing that it has that sometimes plays up is the auto clutch and flappy paddles. When I say play up, she sometimes graunches going into gear, but I suspect that's due to age and wear rather than electronic.

I thought on fitting the 13 pin socket, but all my plugs are 7 pin (I have magnetic LED trailer lights, two boards and our old caravan has 2x 7 pin plugs. My next car will get a 13 pin (if it isn't already fitted) and I'll make do with a Y cable to connect old to new...

Doo

Post by Doo »

GiveMeABreak wrote:
13 May 2020, 13:24
I can't speak for any aftermarket setup, but the Citroen kits come are designed to work with a trailer fuse box unit and there are several dedicated electrical kits - one for standard towing and I think another for where you need to charge a fridge for example. These kits and the trailer relay are designed to work with the vehicles electrical systems - incorporating a special towing programme for the Electronic Stability Programme (where fitted) and switching off of reversing sensors etc.
We don't have any factory fitted suspension trickery or such. I did fit aftermarket parking sensors, but I can easily incorporate a switch to shut them off when the van is connected... I may even get one of those tow sockets with a micro-switch incorporated.