Citroen C4 2007 hdi Towing Electrics...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Doo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2000 Range Rover V8 4.0
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2
2007 Citroen C4 1.6hdi SX
2012 Berlingo Multispace e-hdi XTR (nice drive :-)
2016 Suzuki Burgman AN650 Executive
I miss my Renault 5 Gordini Turbo....

Citroen C4 2007 hdi Towing Electrics...

Post by Doo »

First of all, apologies for my long absence. I've had a few things to deal with...

Second, I am sure this subject has been asked/covered many times, but I couldn't find a specific answer to my question.

I wired in a 7 pin socket to our hatchback and after a couple of boobies (I shorted the tail lights and a red herring was one of the 301 bulbs had actually died of old age, but it confuddled me for a bit :oops: :lol: ) I managed to get the system working fine.

Now I knew the car had can bus and wasn't particularly concerned, after all I was simply adding tails to the loom. Everything works beautifully while pulling our 29yo Swift.

My question is, should I really have to install a smart relay? I have wired it correctly (I detest these sorts who put left/right tail lights onto one side so if the fuse goes you are left with no side lights on your trailer...) and the car does everything it should.

However, I can't tell if out car has a dash warning for a trailer being plugged in (you know the indicator flashes fast if a bulb is blown on the trailer) and such.

Anyhoo, any advice will be gladly taken on board.

I have ordered an automatic split charge relay (self switching) for the caravan battery & fridge. Looking for a pointer as to should I wire the main + to the alternator output or just onto the battery + terminal as I am unsure if this car has a smart alternator or a standard one!

So many questions #-o

Thanks all :)
Has anyone seen the plot? :?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen C4 2007 hdi Towing Electrics...

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I can't speak for any aftermarket setup, but the Citroen kits come are designed to work with a trailer fuse box unit and there are several dedicated electrical kits - one for standard towing and I think another for where you need to charge a fridge for example. These kits and the trailer relay are designed to work with the vehicles electrical systems - incorporating a special towing programme for the Electronic Stability Programme (where fitted) and switching off of reversing sensors etc.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Doo wrote: 13 May 2020, 12:40
I have ordered an automatic split charge relay (self switching) for the caravan battery & fridge. Looking for a pointer as to should I wire the main + to the alternator output or just onto the battery + terminal as I am unsure if this car has a smart alternator or a standard one!
By self switching do you mean voltage sensing ? If so then it should go straight to the battery + (via a suitable fuse of course) as that is kind of the point of them, to avoid having to tap into the alternator wiring.
Also do yourself a favour while you are at it, Upgrade your socket on the car & van to the 13 pin type, the design is far superior to those horrible 7 pin things. I wouldn't ever use a 7 pin type again even if only using single electrics.
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

wheeler wrote: 13 May 2020, 13:31
Doo wrote: 13 May 2020, 12:40
By self switching do you mean voltage sensing ? If so then it should go straight to the battery + (via a suitable fuse of course) as that is kind of the point of them, to avoid having to tap into the alternator wiring.
Also do yourself a favour while you are at it, Upgrade your socket on the car & van to the 13 pin type, the design is far superior to those horrible 7 pin things. I wouldn't ever use a 7 pin type again even if only using single electrics.
Hi, yes voltage sensing. The reason for my question was I read somewhere that someone had an issue with their smart alternator... Our C4 is a 2007 so while clever, it's not terribly so :-D

We don't have fancy suspension (apart from the new Monroe's I fitted on the back a few weeks ago) and has a nice manual hand brake lever. The only thing that it has that sometimes plays up is the auto clutch and flappy paddles. When I say play up, she sometimes graunches going into gear, but I suspect that's due to age and wear rather than electronic.

I thought on fitting the 13 pin socket, but all my plugs are 7 pin (I have magnetic LED trailer lights, two boards and our old caravan has 2x 7 pin plugs. My next car will get a 13 pin (if it isn't already fitted) and I'll make do with a Y cable to connect old to new...
Doo
(Donor 2022)
2004 Jaguar XK8 4.2

Post by Doo »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 13 May 2020, 13:24 I can't speak for any aftermarket setup, but the Citroen kits come are designed to work with a trailer fuse box unit and there are several dedicated electrical kits - one for standard towing and I think another for where you need to charge a fridge for example. These kits and the trailer relay are designed to work with the vehicles electrical systems - incorporating a special towing programme for the Electronic Stability Programme (where fitted) and switching off of reversing sensors etc.
We don't have any factory fitted suspension trickery or such. I did fit aftermarket parking sensors, but I can easily incorporate a switch to shut them off when the van is connected... I may even get one of those tow sockets with a micro-switch incorporated.