Peugeot 207 1.4i steering rack fail cause/replacement

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

noob64
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Peugeot 207 1.4i

Peugeot 207 1.4i steering rack fail cause/replacement

Post by noob64 »

Hello,
I have a 2010 pug 207 1.4i. I was having problems with water ingress on my pug and random problems. After trying to see some fail codes/run parameters the engine died 2 times while idle, after the 2'nd shutdown the steering rack died and now my car has no more assisted steering. I have no steering fail codes on the Delphi autocom however I have steering light on and power steering faulty message my dash. I verified PSF1 connectors and they are fine(like new), and all it's fuses are good. One notice is that PSF1 box smells something like mild burn or is typically electronics smell that were sealed good. Also checked BSI1 F7 and rest of fuse are ok, BMF4 80A fuse is also good with no meltdown.
Can this be that steering rack motor died ? I saw this is a typical fail even in 2011. If is so did someone replaced the rack by its own and how hard is it. I'm planning to do this myself with proper tools.
noob64
(Donor 2020)

Re: Peugeot 207 1.4i steering rack fail cause/replacement

Post by noob64 »

Can someone help me with some steps/tips required for replacing the rack? e.g. service box Removing - refitting : steering mechanism
Thank you.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

First of all the Electric Power Steering system on this vehicle has no interaction with the engine at all. It is powered directly by the battery. So if your car has died and the power steering has failed - that would suggest and electrical supply problem overall - and this could suggest that there is no actual fault with the power steering system itself.

So I would start looking at the battery itself - what condition is it in - how old is it - have you had it tested. then start looking at the condition of the battery terminals and wiring. Is the battery being charged by the alternator? Next I would actually test the fuses and don't just visually inspect them as they can become damaged internally and provide intermittent readings. Check your earth straps and earthing points too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

When my C5 battery started to get tired in the last few weeks it would struggle to start the engine and once started chucked up a power steering failure fault.

Letting it run for a few minutes to lift the battery voltage then switching off and starting it again the power steering was back working ok until the next cold start when the problem recurred.

A new battery has sorted it.

However if you have burnt electric smells from around the fuse board it's worth taking a close look there because they do at times get hot and burn the plastic causing electrical failures.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
noob64
(Donor 2020)

Post by noob64 »

Hi,
I did check all fuses with multimeter and they are conducting. Also Battery was having 12.1V with engine off and 14V when engine on, voltage was present on BMF4 80A steering rack main fuse. What I did not check if there really is voltage on steering rack end connector. One thing to notice is that when I had the engine trying to not die and rattling the headlamps were also flickering a bit hard I hope there were no voltage spikes to damage the rack fancy ecu. I can try with another battery and see what I get.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The parts are available separately for the power steering steering, pump / ECU - but I really don't think that is your problem - just a symptom of problems with your electrical system, especially now that you have added the headlights flickering too.

What do all these issues have in common? - Your Engine Fuse Box supplies the power for the headlamps, the engine ECU, the power steering assembly - so that is where I would focus my attention to start with.

The engine fusebox is Part number: 6500HW (9667199780)

These are reasonably cheap to get second hand and don't need coding - they also contain a lot on non-serviceable relays and such inside - so although the fuses may be ok, the internals of the fusebox may be damaged - especially as you said you could smell some burning.

I think this is going to be the culprit - and a word of caution - don't use the vehicle when it is like this - there have been some nasty fires because of a failed fusebox. The main power connections to the fusebox have also been known to overheat and melt the plastic, so I would first remove the fusebox and carefully mark all the wiring connections and their order. Examine the surrounding areas and make sure there is no damage to any external areas.

Marc
noob64
(Donor 2020)

Post by noob64 »

Hi,
I taken out engine fusebox and inspected, nothing looks wrong. Regarding the smell(it was perfectly sealed fusebox) now I can say it smells like new TV electronics smell not like burnt, I just hope my nose is not tricking me :^o
I found reconditioned rack at 600E and I have in mind to take out the old rack, also the steering motor is heavily rusted.
20200328_162353.jpg
noob64
(Donor 2020)

Post by noob64 »

Hi,
My refurbished steering rack arrived, I hook it up on engine bay and its working, now I need to continue dismantling the front axle...
In my front axle dismantling I found rusted screws and rusted extension bars that I took out for clean and repaint. If your car dose not have engine shield mont one now ! or rust in peace !
IMG_20200415_195910.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Flip! That will need a bit more than a coat of paint! :-D

Marc
noob64
(Donor 2020)

Post by noob64 »

Hi,
After a big fight with rusted screws and using the grinder force I managed !
One thing remains now. I was forced to unbolt the cat converter and I did not find any torque spec for the 4 bolts. My car now is leaking exhaust form the cat gasket zone. For sure I will buy new gasket however I am missing the correct torque.
20200418_141829.jpg
20200418_151611.jpg
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't have that info to hand unfortunately.

Marc