C5 problems - Here we go again

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikal
My Cars: 2008 C5 auto diesel saloon, Civic runabout and my Yamaha FJR.
No sports car anymore, TVR...gone, MGB...gone, Boxster...gone. Might get something in a yr or two!

C5 problems - Here we go again

Post by mikal »

Well 4 years ago the starter motor blew, many hundreds of pounds later done.
Then the windscreen wiper motor went
Then the tyre pressure sensors.

2 years ago all the bongs etc started and the cruise control, ebs or whatever packed up, happened if you braked hard. Analysed the codes and an engine ecu failure is the culprit.

Last year the gearbox played up. It would just stop and/or stay in 1 gear and I'd limp home. Then it would sort of drive OK for a few months and ....as it did today. Happened again, fortunately just a few hundred yards from home. I've now got zero faith in it so it might be time to say adios.
Its the 2.0hdi auto diesel worth.........norra lorra I'd guess. 2008 and with 80k miles, the "exclusive" model. Worth what 1.5 2k on a good day, in good nick, ((which it isnt). Is it time for the scrappy? I am thinking of a Octavia estate/focus estate. WE need a similar sort of car in decent nick that can pull 1.5 ton of wood and a decent interior etc for the occasional long journey. I wont do more than 2k miles a year. I think I've knackered the auto box pulling too much weight. Waddyathunk
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: C5 problems - Here we go again

Post by white exec »

Hi mikal,
Have just edited out the above post from "Off Topic", and left it here, with title tweaked.
Hope OK.
Chris
leithant
Donor 2023
My Cars:

Post by leithant »

X7?
06 Citroen C5 Estate 2.2 Hdi Auto
95 Peugeot 306 S16
95 Silver Xantia VSX - now deceased :-(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sadly the C5 X7 is not the most reliable car in the world but the ride is so good I am prepared to put up with its idiosyncrasies, I haven't found another car that is so comfortable and quiet, but I have gone for the least troublesome models, that includes steel springs - which still ride superbly, in fact I would suggest that over small road imperfections its better than the hydropnumatic ones, manual gearbox, 2.0. Hdi engine and the estate version, these are the ones that are making the most money - and in fact selling.

I have bought two of them this year, the first was a VTR+ which has a leaking steering rack but the loss is so small that I just top it up when necessary, the wipers have been playing up lately but seamed to have healed up for the present. The second one is similar but has a top spec interior, leather seats, satnav etc, that one has been off the road for a while to sort the thermostat out but is now going again so we have a spare if the wipers pack up on the other one again.

I probably couldn't afford to run them if I was unable to repair them myself, which I still can - just about. You can get a new starter motor on ebay for about 60 pounds and replacing it is probably one of the easiest jobs on the car, takes about half an hour.

I ran hydropnumatic Citroens for about 30 years from the CX onwards, my last CX 25 DTR turbo Safari had a porous block which necessitated replacing the head gasket every 15k miles, I ran it for about 160k, that's about 10 head gaskets but they were fairly easy to change and I was prepared to put up with that because it was such a beautiful car to drive. The X7 has similar double wishbone front suspension, except for the springs and I'm sure that is at least partly responsible for the excellent ride and straight line stability.

Sorry to hear about your problems but I know how frustrating it can be.

If you look on ebay under C5's, at the top lefthand side of the page look at the list of 'tick boxes' under sold listings and that should be an indication of what yours is worth.

Peter
mikal
No sports car anymore, TVR...gone, MGB...gone, Boxster...gone. Might get something in a yr or two!

Post by mikal »

errrrrrrrrrrrrm thankyou. I think!
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Still unsure exactly which model of C5 is the problem here...
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

He has an X7 (DW10BTED4) and AM6.

@Mikal:

Your choice really - but without proper diagnostic codes we can't really advise as we won't know what the cause(s) are. There are over an hundred fault codes that can appear with the gearbox alone - might be something simple or might need a new valve block, or just an oil change.... you get the picture.

Once you have some idea as to what is wrong, you'll have to weigh up possible repair costs against getting another vehicle and any potential hidden baggage that this brings. If you are considering repairing it then please get it diagnosed, post up the fault codes.

@Chris: I moved this originally out of the technical forum and into the Off Topic Lounge as it didn't seem to be asking for technical advice, but a recommendation for another car. If that is the case, then I'll move it back.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mikal

Post by mikal »

Marc.

Not really asking about another car, (although a focus/Octavia estate look favourite). I can take it to a local shop where they have a fault code machine and I know the owner, so that going to be next weeks job. WE bought the car as a caravan tug, and now just use it towing a trailer full of wood locally and the very occasional long trip. I personally think I've knackered it!

Cheers

Mike

On what is the car, says in the profile next to your name doesnt it!
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi Mikal, did you post on Pistonheads? seems familiar :)

My X7 was used for caravan towing, before I bought it. Gearbox is poorly now but works ok in Manual mode.

to all, assuming valve block problems, what kind of job is changing this unit ? Can it be done in situ? Can the old one be removed and sent off for repairs? I don't really know how to diagnose lack of shifting / compared to flaring, and if the valve block could be responsible for both.. if both symptoms are present, does it point to valve block and clutch pack issues? or am I forgetting the TC too...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The Skoda superb apparently gives a very good ride and has loads of space but I went for the Citroen on the basis of the devil you know.

Peter
mikal

Post by mikal »

jgra1.. yes I did, but then again being pistonheads replies will tell me its all my fault! I note that the x7 can tow 15ookg, even the auto, My caravan weighed 1350 and we never really put much in it, so doubt we went near 1500kg. The wood and trailer we use is probably around the same, but its piggin hilly round here in East Cornwall which doesnt help.
Will be doing the inspection probably after the NY ho ha. We dont use the C5 that much now, and its just a workhorse.

Pete. It will probably be "retired" if the gearbox problem reappears again. I cant risk the car stopping and throwing a hissy fit with a ton of wood behind blocking a country lane. Its got a few dings and dents. I reversed it into a lamp post and the chrome strip is bent and fecking expensive to replace. Also most journeys now are less than 10 miles, so.........diesel/dpf......etc problems "could" be simmering under the bonnet.

Cheers all and a happy Chrimbo. And for those that know SLIB!
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

One thing that DMFs 'hate' is reversing with a braked trailer. If you have such a trailer you need to look at (when reversing) disabling its' brakes to stop them locking and putting an increase of load on the DMF.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
mikal

Post by mikal »

UPDATE Thought I'd give it a go today after sulking in the garage all night. On start up, the "depollution" sign popped up and a series of bongs and the engine check light. I drove no more than 4 yrds and it played up as before, but managed to do a ueeey and freewheeled home!
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Hell Razor5543 wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 05:45 One thing that DMFs 'hate' is reversing with a braked trailer. If you have such a trailer you need to look at (when reversing) disabling its' brakes to stop them locking and putting an increase of load on the DMF.
They also hate reversing uphill, or even steep forward hill starts.
In fact anything that requires the clutch to do a bit of hard or precise work.
The best thing I ever did on our RAV4 – after two failures – was get rid of the damned thing. :gt:
Not always an option, though.
Chris
mikal

Post by mikal »

Could the dpf be playing up and its gone into limp mode?