Citroen jumpy (dispatch) P0170 intermittent fault, advance regulation, variation in injection advance

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mharris2001
My Cars: Citroen jumpy II 2004

Citroen jumpy (dispatch) P0170 intermittent fault, advance regulation, variation in injection advance

Post by mharris2001 »

Hi
First time poster.......
I bought a 2004 jumpy II 1.9 D non turbo version. I got the van home and noticed the engine warning light came on intermittently when the engine was under load, normally going up a hill. The van is non turbo but it runs well and has done 140000 Kms.

Borrowed my friends lexus and ran the fault test. It came back with
P0170 intermittent fault, advance regulation, variation in injection advance.
IMG_20190914_110533.jpg
Looking at the live data and the engine advance readings. When idling the engine advance demanded is 2° but the engine advance measured is 10°. The engine warning light is on.

If I then rev the engine slightly to around 1300 revs the figures of demanded and measure are in step or very close to each other and after a couple of seconds the warning light on dash goes out. If then I release the accelerator it goes back to values of 2° and 10° and the warning light comes on again.

Here are the readings at idle
IMG_20190914_111207.jpg
So the engine warning light seems to start comes on at idle when the engine is warm. Also whilst driving I get the light on Intermittently normally when the engine under load. For example when I am going up a hill on 4th and I should be thinking of changing into 3rd.

I would appreciate any help on this issue please?
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 15 Sep 2019, 09:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed image placement
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen jumpy (dispatch) P0170 intermittent fault, advance regulation, variation in injection advance

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop the VIN up and I'll take a look.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
mharris2001

Re: Citroen jumpy (dispatch) P0170 intermittent fault, advance regulation, variation in injection advance

Post by mharris2001 »

Hi
It's....
VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Is it a DW8 engine?

Thanks in advance
Marcus
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You have DW8B engine: DISPATCH I & II TYPE 800 VAN SHORT 1.9 D 71 (DW8B) Manual gearbox 5

So the fault lies with the advance actuator and is classified as a major fault. A backup mode will be initiated - in this case cutting of the EGR valve. A difference of 7 degrees between the requested advance and the measured advance shows that the ECU is not managing to control the advance. Check the initial timing of the injection pump and if not this, then it is an internal injection pump fault.

Marc
mharris2001

Post by mharris2001 »

Hi
Thanks for the quick reply. I am getting to the edge of my knowledge here. Can you tell me how I check the initial timing of the injection pump please? If it is the injection pump do I just get another one fitted? Could you suggest a part number please?
Thanks in advance
Marcus
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The advance solenoid is a separately replaceable part. I have changed quite a few of them on DW8's, the normal symptoms when they fail are loss of power & engine rattle that sounds like the engine has no oil in it but normally goes away when the engine is switched off & back on again. It only takes minutes to change it, Just literally unscrews out, I remember they used to be very expensive but just had a look on servicebox & it looks like they have went up even more in price. I don't have the chassis number to confirm the correct part no but if its 1563L1 then they are now eye wateringly over £500. Im sure they used to be around the £280 mark.
Before condemning the advance valve check the wiring harness that runs over the top of the power steering pump, you need to unclip it & pull the plastic conduit & insulating tape back, the ribbed conduit rubs through the wiring & damages it, this can cause anything from running issues to complete non start situations, This is a very common problem on the mk1 & 2 DW8 Dispatch/Expert.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes that's the part: 1563L1, item 22 - £508.40 from Citroen inc. VAT, but plenty of others here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw ... 1&_sacat=0

1563L1.PNG

Marc
mharris2001

Post by mharris2001 »

That's great thanks for all your help.
So I can just swap this out, don't think I'll be getting the Citroen part. I have read elsewhere sometimes this is coded to the key as anti theft feature. Hopefully my van is old enough not to be?

Could this intermittent fault be causing cold start problem which I am experiencing when morning temp gets below 5°c. It can take a LOT of cranking to get it to fire, white smoke prior to it firing. Glow plugs are getting 12v from relay. Winter coming so need to tackle this issue next.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

This Part doesent need any coding, what you have read you are confusing with part 18 in the picture which is a coded part.
Yes this most certainly could cause poor cold starting .
mharris2001

Post by mharris2001 »

Hi
Finally got round to changing the part but I have exactly the same issue still. Any bright ideas?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Did you check the wiring harness I mentioned?
Can you hear a clicking noise from the valve at all?