Fault code reader for C5 X7

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Fault code reader for C5 X7

Post by Peter.N. »

I have a depollution fault warning after having recently refilled the Elyos tank, I'm not really worried about it at the moment but obviously will need to do something eventually. I have has a couple of Lexias (Lexai?) but haven't had much success with them, not for long anyway.

I see there are some specific Peugeot - Citroen hand held readers on ebay, I don't expect a cheap one to be any good but is there one that works OK? I hopefully await your recommendations. :shock:

Incidentally I have just had the starter off but can't see that I can have disturbed anything that would affect emissions.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Fault code reader for C5 X7

Post by GiveMeABreak »

What is the exact warning and did you successfully reset the additive counter Peter? What is the code you are getting? - I assume you have had your lexia working in order to do this - a cheap reader won't do much apart from read and clear codes if you are lucky.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Marc

Yes Colin at Poole reset it for me and its been OK since then although I have seen the occasional puff of smoke from the exhaust which I didn't think was right, although this is the first car I have had with a DPF.

I did disconnect the battery when I took the starter out but everything else seems to be working OK. It was OK when I started it yesterday but this morning it came up with 'depollution fault' and the engine light was on. I haven't taken it out yet so I am hoping it might go out when I drive it a bit.

Peter
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Peter.N. wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 15:05... I have seen the occasional puff of smoke from the exhaust which I didn't think was right, although this is the first car I have had with a DPF.
That's worrying. You shouldn't have any smoke to speak of. Is it possible that the FAP has been "fixed" by a prior owner?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There are various Lexia clones, but the one I would recommend (and that has a discount procedure through the Forum) is provided by Easy Diagnostics. It will have the complete (and most up-to-date) chipset, the latest version of the software they recommend (there is later, but it has issues that tie it more into PSA), and one year of aftercare support (including (I believe), if needed, help on installing the software).

viewtopic.php?t=60113

It is NOT the cheapest available, but use it a couple of times and you will start saving yourself money (I believe a diagnostics session at Citroen is £90 per hour). If you have friends with PSA vehicles you could also help them out, and (if you buy the little van 'module') you could even look after the vans PSA do!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks both. The car looks very original and well cared for, its only done just over 100k miles, doesn't look as though the previous owner would be the type to mess it about - although you never know.

In view of my sad history with lexia I wondered if any of the hand held scanners work OK with it but not had any suggestions so far.

Peter
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I agree with Paul - it won't be an additive issue as that is a separate warning Peter. It is not uncommon to get a little smoke at start up if it has been standing a while, but that should clear almost immediately.

This may be a temporary fault - try an Italian tune up to clear out the cobwebs - I know you don't travel at unsafe velocities, but get the car going through the rev range and see if that gets shot of it. But if the service light remains on then we'll definitely need the code Peter.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Peter sorry to hear you are having problems with your C5, i had hoped the reset of the additive level was going to solve your problems.
We have proved your diagnostic equipment is working, well one of them atleast, i think your issue is down to the software version installed to run it, Marc helped me with a step by step guide on how to update the versions, may be worth a try as i think they can be obtained without the need for beer tokens. :rofl2:
What does the warning say and is the EML on or is the Service lit up in yellow?
I have a theory ( probably wrong ) that the DPF is given a finite life in terms of the ECU. I cannot find it again but i have read that the service at 120k says replace the DPF.
My theory is that when a car is 10 years + and over 100k it will throw up a DPF risk of blocking fault even if the regens are working and the filter is not at risk of blocking.
This is based on my experience with my previous C5 X7 "Devil Car" that no matter what i did i could not get the warning and Service light to go off even though regens were taking place and the filter was fine.
Mike T now has the Devil Car and he sorted the problem by telling the car through Lexia that the DPF had been replaced and as far as i know he has not had anymore issues.

Colin
admiral51
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 15:42 try an Italian tune up - I know you don't travel at unsafe velocities,
Wow i actually laughed out loud when i read that :rofl2: =D> =D>
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

IF you've already got a generic OBD reader (bluetooth type), and IF you've got a suitable Android device, then you can get some useful info using Faplite. It ain't ever going to be equivalent to a full Lexia / Diagbox, but for free / gratis / nowt, it's not to be sniffed at :)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... e&hl=en_GB

There's also the Carlos Fandango 'paid for' version that adds more bells and whistles available for an eyewatering £8.14 :shock: :lol:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FAP-Citroen-Pe ... B01LJUI2TA
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Thanks for all the info lads. The fault now showing is different to the one you cleared Colin and it only came up the second time I started it. I have to go up a long steep hill tomorrow so will see what that does. The 'engine' light is on this time, it wasn't before. the car has only done 104k.

I had one of those plug in Blue tooth readers which worked well with my wife's tablet but sadly I left it in the Merc when it went :(

Peter