2.0 Synergie HDi oil leak.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gray
My Cars: Citroen Synergie 2.0 hdi

2.0 Synergie HDi oil leak.

Post by Gray »

So for the last 2 years the garage that does my servicing mentioned a slight oil leak from rear of engine, slight to me just meant a little weeping, the odd drip maybe, well it has been about two months since it's last service and the other day I noticed a large patch of oil one the ground where my wife had parked it, so I checked under the car and the first thing I found was no under tray, it was missing hence me being able to see the oil on the floor, I called the garage about the leak and the missing tray they denied all knowledge telling me that it must have broken off, like anybody would not notice an engine tray coming off? they since backed up there explanation by pointing out part of the tray at the front is still is still there, so that just means the mechanic undid all the side bolts before the front and then let it fall snapping it off and did not want to be held liable, anyway onto the leak. The garage again could not find where it was coming from after having for most of the day, they came back with oil pressure switch maybe, then gave me the details of another garage that might be able to help, now I have had a look, if you look up from the back of the engine, you have the turbo, to the right of the turbo and up a bit there is what looks like a big valve, the oil looks like it is coming from that as it is very oily, I have looked on line to find out what that part is but can not find anything helpful, so before I put it in the hands of another garage do any of you guys have any idea of what that might be? or anything up that high that could leak oil, oh and its not constant, sometimes there is only a small drip on the floor and on another time a larger patch, it's been doing it probably for around 2 years and the oil level always seems normal just I have never noticed and probably would be none the wiser had the engine tray still been in place.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 2.0 Synergie HDi oil leak.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Gray, pop your VIN up and I'll put a diagram up so that maybe you can identify it from there - hard for us to see without pictures.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gray

Post by Gray »

Thanks Mark it's VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately I don't have a lot for this vehicle, but here is the turbo:

3 is the turbo lubrication pipe and 4 is the oil return hose - so might be worth checking there. Post a few pictures up if you get the chcance and maybe someone here can give you some pointers. Take one zoomed out so we can get an idea of the surrounding area and then one or two a bit closer to the suspect area.
syn turbo.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gray

Post by Gray »

Thanks I will try and get underneath it over the weekend hopefully the rain will have stopped, but I can't say I can see the part I noticed in that diagram, there is what looks like a manifold the valve looking part protrudes from that and kind of points up wards.. I think a picture will be easier for you to id it which I will also take.
Thanks.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think you need a photo of the inlet manifold, there's a part on there described as a diaphragm that may be the part you are seeing.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Gray

Post by Gray »

That sounds like the part, if it has oil going through it then I bet it will be the cause of the problem.
Gray

Post by Gray »

Ok hopefully this might help a little more, looking up turbo on the left, looks like oil is coming from that pipe just above that valve looking object but maybe you can shed some light as the techs at the garage had no idea.
Thanks
Attachments
20190720_133007.jpg