Wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

russbif

Wiring

Post by russbif »

Does anyone know where I can but Citroen connectors? I wish to replace one of my auxiliary sockets with a dual USB socket and wish to make a link loom rather than chop off the existing connector. I need the male that will replace the existing cigar/aux socket

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Wiring

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’m not really sure what you are trying to achieve....Why don’t you just get a twin USB adapter / charger to go unto the 12V accessory socket? You won’t get a USB to work in place of an AUX apart from the Audio channel.

USB cables sold by Citroen are only designed to plug into the Head unit for audio or for navigation or system software updates.

russbif

Post by russbif »

My iPhone that I use for satnav does not charge fast enough from my 1amp adaptor, I have a spare twin socket that gives two USB outputs, 1 amp and 2.1 amps, I want to install that in place of the existing socket. Easy to do, but I don’t want to chop the connector off and would rather make up a short link loom with a male socket to replace the existing lighter socket.

white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Just splice into the existing cigar socket wiring (Scotchlok type connector) for your new USB outlet.
2A is a useful USB output.

Hell Razor5543
NOT Alistair or Simon

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sometimes Aldi or Lidl, in amongst their other car bits, do a cigarette socket adaptor that will give you two cigarette sockets and (in the case of the last ones I bought) three USB ports; two at 1 amp and one at 2.1 amp. These units go for around £5.

I just did a search on ebay and found this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-3-Wa ... SwgX9cieLz

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak »

russbif wrote:
31 Mar 2019, 18:58
My iPhone that I use for satnav does not charge fast enough from my 1amp adaptor, I have a spare twin socket that gives two USB outputs, 1 amp and 2.1 amps, I want to install that in place of the existing socket. Easy to do, but I don’t want to chop the connector off and would rather make up a short link loom with a male socket to replace the existing lighter socket.
Pop your VIN up so I can determine your fitted system and options. There are several variants of units installed depending on Head Unit in your vehicle. The point is that the system fitted USBs are powered by the Head Unit and some of these are not designed to provide the extra capacity you may need. Hence the suggestion of using a dual charger that is powered by the 12v Accessory socket which will provide more than enough. Some factory head unit USB ports are not even designed to charge - but to update files and to play media files.

russbif

Post by russbif »

I’ll dig out the vin tomorrow, my car is a 2009 C3 Picasso 1.6Hdi Exclusive, it has two power sockets by the gearstick, LH is cigar lighter that I wish to modify, RH is a USB and jack plug, there is a further 12v socket at the rear of the console between the front seats.
I already have the new socket, it has two USB sockets 1amp and 2.1amps, it also gives a voltage reading via a LED between the sockets, I’ve fitted one before on my MX5, works well, just need a male plug to make by jump loom.

van ordinaire
Donor 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

I thought I'd detected a certain amount of going off at a tangent - although I wasn't sure, to start with that I'd correctly understood the original post.

I had a similar difficulty when I replaced the cigar lighter in the C15 with a regular power socket but not because Citroën use their own connectors (to the best of my knowledge not even they are THAT perverse), simply because it needed a size not commonly available. It may be that even cigar lighters have moved on, but to look at them I doubt it, so what exactly is this connector you need to replicate? Any chance of a picture of the back of the cigar lighter?