Wiring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

russbif
My Cars: Citroen C3 Picasso
Mk1 MX5 Miata

Wiring

Post by russbif »

Does anyone know where I can but Citroen connectors? I wish to replace one of my auxiliary sockets with a dual USB socket and wish to make a link loom rather than chop off the existing connector. I need the male that will replace the existing cigar/aux socket
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Wiring

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I’m not really sure what you are trying to achieve....Why don’t you just get a twin USB adapter / charger to go unto the 12V accessory socket? You won’t get a USB to work in place of an AUX apart from the Audio channel.

USB cables sold by Citroen are only designed to plug into the Head unit for audio or for navigation or system software updates.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
russbif
Mk1 MX5 Miata

Post by russbif »

My iPhone that I use for satnav does not charge fast enough from my 1amp adaptor, I have a spare twin socket that gives two USB outputs, 1 amp and 2.1 amps, I want to install that in place of the existing socket. Easy to do, but I don’t want to chop the connector off and would rather make up a short link loom with a male socket to replace the existing lighter socket.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just splice into the existing cigar socket wiring (Scotchlok type connector) for your new USB outlet.
2A is a useful USB output.
Chris
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sometimes Aldi or Lidl, in amongst their other car bits, do a cigarette socket adaptor that will give you two cigarette sockets and (in the case of the last ones I bought) three USB ports; two at 1 amp and one at 2.1 amp. These units go for around £5.

I just did a search on ebay and found this;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-24V-3-Wa ... SwgX9cieLz
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

russbif wrote: 31 Mar 2019, 18:58 My iPhone that I use for satnav does not charge fast enough from my 1amp adaptor, I have a spare twin socket that gives two USB outputs, 1 amp and 2.1 amps, I want to install that in place of the existing socket. Easy to do, but I don’t want to chop the connector off and would rather make up a short link loom with a male socket to replace the existing lighter socket.
Pop your VIN up so I can determine your fitted system and options. There are several variants of units installed depending on Head Unit in your vehicle. The point is that the system fitted USBs are powered by the Head Unit and some of these are not designed to provide the extra capacity you may need. Hence the suggestion of using a dual charger that is powered by the 12v Accessory socket which will provide more than enough. Some factory head unit USB ports are not even designed to charge - but to update files and to play media files.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
russbif
Mk1 MX5 Miata

Post by russbif »

I’ll dig out the vin tomorrow, my car is a 2009 C3 Picasso 1.6Hdi Exclusive, it has two power sockets by the gearstick, LH is cigar lighter that I wish to modify, RH is a USB and jack plug, there is a further 12v socket at the rear of the console between the front seats.
I already have the new socket, it has two USB sockets 1amp and 2.1amps, it also gives a voltage reading via a LED between the sockets, I’ve fitted one before on my MX5, works well, just need a male plug to make by jump loom.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

I thought I'd detected a certain amount of going off at a tangent - although I wasn't sure, to start with that I'd correctly understood the original post.

I had a similar difficulty when I replaced the cigar lighter in the C15 with a regular power socket but not because Citroën use their own connectors (to the best of my knowledge not even they are THAT perverse), simply because it needed a size not commonly available. It may be that even cigar lighters have moved on, but to look at them I doubt it, so what exactly is this connector you need to replicate? Any chance of a picture of the back of the cigar lighter?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o