What next?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

What next?

Post by RichardW »

Well the Xantia seems to be suffering a fault about every 4 days at the moment! Pulled handbrake on on Saturday and ping, snapped the nipple off one of the cables. Not wanting to sell my soul to the Cit dealer (who may or may not have been open given that they only open every other Sat now!) I bodged it up with a clamp on the end of the cable (remarkably I was able to undo the adjuster nut and back it off!).
Now I notice the drivers seat height adjuster has gone a bit pearshaped - it has sprung into the 'high' position, and won't stay down, but goes down when you sit on it (but allows the seat to rise up when you go over big bumps in the road, which is a bit disconcerting[;)]). I guess the mechanism has come adrift, so looks like seat out time - anybody had one of these adrift and know how it works? If all else fails I'll just disconnect it and weld it closed at the low position[:D]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

As far as the seat is concerned it is more than likely that one or more of the screws holding the lever mechanism to the seat has fallen out. You will probably find the screw under the seat, just pull away the plastic trim around the seat base in order to gain access to the now vacant hole and screw away!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Richard W,
I'll second Richard G on the seat height lever. You think the worse and then find the screws, replace them....and can get in without being attacked by the upright lever.
Had several like this and every one had the screws still in the carpet under the lever!
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks guys, I'll have a look at the weekend and see what's what!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Oh and what next....
How about the longest gearchange link rod suffering a failed bush so you can't get any gears at all...or has that already been ticked off your list?
;-)
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Oh good, more to look forward to! I think that one went on my Dad's 1.8 when it had only done 25k... We are just going past 100k so all those things like matrix, rad, handbrake cables clutch clip etc etc have just been replaced / are all going to go over the new few months, then it should revcover a bit - until it needs a new clutch in the summer I suppose!
Also got the ZX to work over now which needs new dash bulbs, the gearchange sorting out, new subframe bushes, service........
And the Visa is still on axle stands with a very sieve looking drivers floor.
And the Velocette is spread all over the garage in 400 pieces wanting some money thrown at it.
Ah, joy!!
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

there's a Visa convertible on ebay at the moment
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

>>And the Velocette is spread all over the garage in 400 pieces wanting some money thrown at it.
I've been tripping over two 1950s JAP industrial engines in the shed for ages now, waiting to make one restored one from them. Luckily I never stripped them and I think it's time to pass them onto someone else who won't get round to it either!
Anyway the "what next" stakes are not exclusive to the far North (I think you're that way?). Here in the far East only yesterday did the exhaust front section fall off the ZX needing the RAC and then an enforced trip to the nearest Kwik-Fit. Then there is the Xantia clutch which is 99% planned for this weekend.
As a matter of interest I change that link rod every time I do a clutch now. Even one that looks OK on the car will usually have a bush unbonded for 25%-50% of its circumference when looked at off the car.
David
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

That link rod......Just on Xantias? Please tell me yes.....
Jon

Post by Jon »

No ZX's too, sorry mate [:D]
Not quite as frequently though.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

At least those links are cheap (about £12 from Citroen?) and can be fitted in ten minutes. Better to do it early and save that "where are my gears moment" as you do a three point turn in town!
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

So if I want some preventative maintenance - I assume it obvious which one is the 'long' one? Change out from the top or the bottom (or both)? Maybe I'll pop it off and inspect it.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Yes Richard it's obvious, the long one at the top nearest to you as you look in from the bonnet. Once you've popped out the air cleaner housing it's easy to access from above. Takes a firm levering to pop apart the ball joints.
The failure will be the larger bush at the gearbox end, the rubber comes unbonded from the outer ring welded to the rod. If you put a socket on the bench to support the inner nylon part and press down hard it is likely you'll find part of the rubber bush outer is already separated from the metal.
I've one in front of me at the moment, from a ZX as it happens, and that has about 25% failed. Once it gets to 50% or so it only takes a hard gearchange to break it completely.
What happens, for example, is that you will be parking into a space in town...pulling forward in first and go to select reverse. The gear lever goes all floppy doing absolutely nothing but the gearbox is left stuck in first.
David
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Should I be happy the I have a hydraulically operated clutch on my Xantia HDi or saving up for a rainy day?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Thanks, David I'll have a look some time.
John - HDi uses the box with the cable operated change, so no worries there, but then you do have to worry about alleged short life of HDi clutches, failure of the low pressure fuel pump.....