2005 C4 Citroen - Blower Resistor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Valleriani
My Cars: 2005 Citroen C4

2005 C4 Citroen - Blower Resistor

Post by Valleriani »

Driver side is on the left, 1.6 2005 Citroen hatchback 4Door, VIN: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] ... My part finally came but I'm having issues:

I am trying to figure out where my blower resistor is, aka this part: Image

I thought it was actually underneath my glove box but I can't find nothing there, maybe I'm just blind but I figured it would be semi visible based on some other forums. Any advise/images/etc I can follow? I can't seem to find any info online. Maybe it's on the driver side but I wonder how delicate that side would be to deal with.
Valleriani

Re: 2005 C4 Citroen - Blower Resistor

Post by Valleriani »

I was able to find it on the driver side, got the plug out, but it was most certainly stuck. Counter clockwise turn wouldn't get it out. I see how it's attached (or so I think) with the four plastic connections but it just did not want to rotate. I am wondering if there is something I am missing, or could it be melted/etc?

Here is a picture of it, hard to get but you can see it.
IMG_1272[1].JPG
You can see I was able to turn it ever so slightly but not much more. It's hard to give it heavy force where it is located but I don't really think it should be needed, might be missing something.
Last edited by Valleriani on 09 Jan 2019, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

If it's exactly the one in the photos then it DOES turn. A quarter turn anti-clockwise. Your problem is because of the length of time that it's been in position and things have stuck together.

Keep trying. I know it'll be more difficult for you as you have all the LHD pedals, etc in the way. Maybe you could get some kind of spanner or adjustable grips on the top to "give it the message"?
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Valleriani

Post by Valleriani »

I'll give grips on it to attempt tomorrow (don't have a set with me at the moment so I'll run to grab one). Bit late here but will beat on it then. Probably just need to give it a good rattle. I also tried some cheap pliers but couldn't get a real nice grip with it either. it's a really crappy position.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Could you get a strap wrench in?
Valleriani

Post by Valleriani »

Most likely, never had one myself but might be a time to get a few extra tools :P I'll be heading down to the hardware store in the morning and sorting it out. That does look like an ideal tool though.
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

I've done one of these and I found constant pressure eventually freed it up. You could try a bit of heat from a hair dryer?
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Valleriani

Post by Valleriani »

Fake Concern wrote: 09 Jan 2019, 17:22 I've done one of these and I found constant pressure eventually freed it up. You could try a bit of heat from a hair dryer?

I might have to find a socket nearby, I live in apartments so it's not easily accessed.

I couldn't find a strap wrench over here which was a bummer, Tried a adjustable wrench and pilers but I couldn't get a good enough position for a hard enough tug. What a pain in the rear! I'll see if I can find a socket nearby and maybe some heat will help remove it. It's really on there good.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Try wearing some thickish gloves to deaden the pain of gripping hard.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Valleriani

Post by Valleriani »

Paul-R wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 10:55 Try wearing some thickish gloves to deaden the pain of gripping hard.

Haha yeah tried, even brought it to a local shop and he couldn't remove it. It was quite surprising. I am going back tonight as he's going to remove the pedal to be able to grip it better or get a tool in there.
Valleriani

Post by Valleriani »

Managed to change it, however now the AC is blowing air constantly, even when I set the AC to off. Maybe the unit is defective. :(
Valleriani

Post by Valleriani »

Apparently my first guess was right, it was the BSM.

I had to use the old blower resistor, the new one was a bust and was sending voltage to the blower telling it to spin even when the car was not fully on, that was interesting.

The BSM on these cars have something like a resistor that fails and it stops sending voltage to the blower/resistor/etc, aka no power. Apparently they are glued in so you can't easily replace them, too expensive for a new one, junkyard was the best bet. Managed to do it myself, sorted it out, worked like a charm. :) I read it on a few forums now so it must at least be an uncommon occurrence.

The symptoms are very similar to the blower resistor failing. You can still change the power of the fan/instruments work/etc, but nothing works. You may experience the blower working/not working a few times before it fully fails. However, the typical blower resistor normally still allows max setting to work before fully failing (not always, but very common). You can also splice two certain wires together in the BSM and the blower will work, though it's a temporary thing and I don't recommend it for a long period of time. (The two wires are here: Again it is MORE for testing purposes and maybe if you need heat for a couple days to get to the junkyard/etc instead of just fully replacing the BSM. I would also highly advise doing it with a fuse too. It is at least a test to know if you need a new fuse box or not as the BSM is often a moderate price to pay.

I ended up leaving the splice in but removing the fuse, so if the issue ever occurs, I can plug in another wire. Since I had the car for 4 years, I probably don't think I'll need to do it again for the remaining life of the car.