Domestic Energy Suppliers: Customer Service

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Domestic Energy Suppliers: Customer Service

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Anyone have any particularly good experiences with Domestic Energy Suppliers?

We saw our prospective new house for the first time today and I wanted to get a 'Head Start' on the removal of a Pre-Payment Key Meter which presumably the previous tenant favoured. I view them as immoral and inconvenient.

Our current supplier EDF Energy proved very difficult to reach, then when I'd finally got through to someone (Live Chat unavailable) advised to expect a whole seven weeks of shenanigans, presumably with considerable difficulty getting hold of them at each step.

So I phoned our 'Inherited Supplier', British Gas, whose Automated message told me after I'd advised it that I'm a prospective new Customer (isn't that a cue for them to kiss my feet and be nice to me) that "they're very busy and I should call back later" Now I hear that as "on yer bike boyo, take a hike you damn nuisance".

Wow, Modern Customer Service eh! :shock:

If anyone's found any particular supplier is easy to deal with / has their Live Chat 'Live' / etc; I'd be interested to hear of them
Puxa
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Re: Domestic Energy Suppliers: Customer Service

Post by MikeT »

I've been happy with BG since moving here (over 10 years) and never had an issue talking to a live operative on the few occasions needed. Admittedly, last time was some years ago so perhaps they've reduced their call-centre employee numbers since but I'd take the "very busy" message as read and try them again at quieter times.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Could you try coming at the issue from a different angle ? Could you select a suitable supplier from one of the comparison sites (https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cheapenergyclub for example ???) and 'sign up' for a deal, then work through the subsequent "you've got a pre-pay meter, we'll have to arrange its removal" conversations from the selected supplier when they arise ?
Websites such as the moneysavingexpert one also give good indicators as to which suppliers are good to their customers and which ones treat them with contempt.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I changed to First Utility three years ago after changing annually for the best deal, since then I've not found a better deal each time I've checked, they have also fitted smart meters to both gas and electricity without any hassle

In the last year I have had solar panels fitted by a local company, First Utility handled all the necessary changes to my billing and feed in tariff application and paid the earnings from generation direct to my bank, also without any hassle.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

It seems that with energy suppliers - like insurance underwriters, to get the best deal, you need to be prepared to change suppliers each year. Eighteen months ago I got a good deal from EconomyEnergy but twelve months later they sent me an email telling me that I'd opted for a different tariff - (I hadn't!!) so they would need to adjust my monthly debits. They were proposing an increase of around 55%. I went to GoCompare and found a new supplier and put the transfer into action. A few days later a telephone call from EconomyEnergy told me that they had just announced a new tariff which should interest me. I told them to stuff it.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Vigilance is the key these days - switching is become more important unless you want to double your energy bills very easily by doing nothing - which is what some of them do.

We were with IRESA - the lowest cost on the market for us - but they were so successfully that they couldn't respond to demand and went under - not a problem as the administrators have to appoint a new supplier automatically - which they did to Octopus - so we had to wait for exiting bills for IRESA to be finalised whilst starting with Octopus, and as they were not providing a good deal we opted to switch from them (penalty free - because they were administrator-appointed and not of out choice). So we are now with Outfox the Market - signed up to the best deal for us - although it is not fixed and within 5 weeks of signing up the costs have increased 6%. But it is still the best value, so we'll stay with them until things get silly. Even if you have a penalty for leaving out of your minimum contract period, it can sometimes by cheaper do pay this than stick with a company that has increased charges by a significant amount.

It never used to be like this, but these days I'm afraid, it is becoming the norm unless you have just won big time on the lottery or can't be bothered! :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I have a friend whose late husband was a manager at the MEB, as such they had discounts for all sorts and M&S vouchers galore, when he died six years ago she just continued with the same lot (now Manweb) won't be persuaded to change, has to pay at the post office and gets computerised threatening letters if she's a day late.

I shudder to think what terms she's on.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Thanks Guys, good advice as ever. I'm thinking in addition to some of the above suggestions to also take out a Subscription to Which? magazine for a month or two, so if anyone wants any info while I have that facility, feel free
Puxa
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Not energy but water, I had cause yesterday to lift the lid on the sewer manhole (needs replacing) saw that the thing was partially blocked and backing up, a problem my neighbours have had to deal with recently.

Went on to the Severn Trent website, found 'report a problem' link and reported it, ten minutes later I got a call from them, "We'll have someone there later today." two hours later the guys arrived, jetted out the blockage and gone on their way in fifteen minutes.