C5 x7 / mk3 wiper blades

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Y Cymro
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2.0hdi Exclusive Auto

C5 x7 / mk3 wiper blades

Post by Y Cymro »

Drivers side genuine Citroen part front wiper blade rubber is braking up after less than a year. I don’t have the receipt to return it so bought a pair of Bosch Aero replacements which don’t fit the arms properly - there’s a taper on the arm which stops the after market blade from fitting correctly.
I’m loathe to buy another Citroen one as they dont seem to last long (though I’ll keep the receipt next time!).
Can anyone suggest a quality alternative that fits? The Bosch pair were £19 from Euros.
2013 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer, 2.0 HDI Automatic with Techno pack
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: C5 x7 / mk3 wiper blades

Post by Paul-R »

Costco do some decent ones - Michelin branded I think. They're not the same as the Michelin branded ones that Aldi were selling a little while ago.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

To be honest,in my experience (and I've used a lot of aftermarket wipers on Citroens) they are all crap. The Bosch Aero wipers being the worst of all on both the C3 and the X7 - constant squeaking and rubbing - worse than Chinese water torture. Eeach time I went back to a Citroen branded one - total bliss! So I can only speak as I find and not won't waste money on non-Citroen ones.

@ Y Cymro: I wouldn't stress over the receipt for your Citroen wiper - they don't guarantee their wear and tear parts at all - so it wouldn't have made any difference. We get a lot of magpies, crows and gulls here and they are always leaving a present on the windscreen and bodywork - and I don't know what they eat, but it tends to dry like concrete and is a sod to get off - any slightly raised stuck on crap will ultimately tear the wiper in places or worse - so I guess it's the trade off between having a softer clean wipe that's uber quiet or a badly fitting Bosch one that screeches away.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Y Cymro

Post by Y Cymro »

Thanks for your replies. I’ll pop into my local dealer on Monday for a new OEM pair and drop the Bosch ones off to Euros on the way for a refund!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Da iawn! Sounds a cracking idea to me. :-D

Also, don't for get to 'Park' your wipers (a quick press down on the wiper stalk with ignition on), to allow changing them vertically - otherwise you'll scrape paint off your bonnet.

I would really suggest that while you're doing this, get some really good window glass cleaner on the outside and get all the oil off - and clear out any grit accumulated in the scuttle area where the wipers come back to rest. I find all the silt gets stored there and shoved back ont he windows when the wipers are used after a dry dusty period. Cleaning the windows of all the grease will really help the life of your blades.

Marc
Y Cymro

Post by Y Cymro »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 18:15 Also, don't for get to 'Park' your wipers (a quick press down on the wiper stalk with ignition on), to allow changing them vertically - otherwise you'll scrape paint off your bonnet.

Good idea, I’ve always wondered what was the point of that.
Hwyl!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The other use for that function is for the winter - so stop your wipers getting buried and frozen under a tonne of snow and ice, allowing easier access to free them off the screen. They recommend parking them up in heavy frost - unless you happen to live in car vandal street!

Marc
Y Cymro

Post by Y Cymro »

Thanks. I’ve owned the car a year and still learning new things about it! I still don’t understand the bloody Economy Mode though. Daftest thing I’ve found so far.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, the good old economy mode is really there to help you not get into a situation where the battery has insufficent power to start the vehicle by managing certain functions and shutting off power to some non-essential devices. On a lot of X7s (and other PSA vehicles) the battery negative terminal is fitted with a BCSCU (Battery Charge Status Control Unit) as shown below:
X7 BCSCU.PNG
The main function of the battery state of charge unit is to calculate the state of charge of the battery and to transmit this information to the built-in systems interface (BSI) in order to refine the activation of the energy economy mode.

For the technical aspect in case anyone's interested:-

The battery charge status unit is connected directly to terminal - of the battery and powered by terminal + of the battery.
System standby/triggering
Mode: Rest
In this mode, the battery charge status control unit does not carry out any operations; it is in a minimum consumption mode. The LIN is deactivated.

Mode: Local triggering
In local wake up mode the battery charge status unit carries out measurements, calculations and parameter saves in order under some conditions to reset the battery charge status parameter.
The LIN is deactivated.

Periodic local triggering (activated by the real time clock)
The battery charge status control unit is fitted with a real time clock which allows it to be triggered periodically. Local wake-up periods of the battery charge status unit:
  • Once every minute for a duration of 0,3 second in order to measure the physical parameters of the battery.
  • Once every hour for a duration of 10 seconds in order to reset the battery charge status parameter.
Local triggering activated by the exceeding of a current threshold
The battery charge status control unit is triggered locally when the battery current falls below - 500 mA (consumption on the network higher than 500 mA) or when the battery current is higher than 50 mA (current charged in the battery higher than 50 mA).

Mode: Active
The "active" mode is validated unconditionally when the LIN is activated (communication on the bus).
The battery charge status control unit is triggered with a delay of 0,276 second following the initialisation of communication activated by the BSI.
The battery charge status control unit becomes dormant following a delay of less than 1.3 seconds following the disappearance of or the request to stop communication on the LIN.

Triggering of the BSI following a drop in the battery charge status
When the vehicle is on standby, the battery charge status control unit can attempt to trigger the BSI each time the battery charge level drops by 10%.

Triggering attempts counter BSI
The "triggering attempts counter" parameter permits counting of the number of unsuccessful triggering attempts generated by the battery charge status control unit.

N.B. : A triggering attempt represents 6 successive unsuccessful triggering requests.

Marc
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 18 Aug 2018, 20:28For the technical aspect in case anyone's interested:-
That would be me, then. :mrgreen:
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
jbbu
My Cars: 2008 C5 (X7) Tourer VTR+ 2.0 HDi

Post by jbbu »

FWIW I have a set of Bosch wiper blades on my X7 and am happy enough with them. The part number you want is A221S (3397007221) -- this is a specific fit set for RHD versions of the X7 and also Zafira B's apparently.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Currently using Denso wipers (and refill rubbers) on both XM and RAV4, from Toyota parts counter.
Really good quality blades, and available (in all sorts of lengths) to fit the standard 'hook' fitting of the spring arm. Impressively long life, even in the baking sun here.

Tip: If the car is parked up for long periods, and especially in the sun, wiper rubbers can get "set" into a bend to one side. This causes them to sweep (trail) quietly enough in one direction, but 'dig in' (=judder) in the other. A cure is to park up the car with a wine cork under each wiper arm, to just lift the blade off the glass. This stops the angled set, and leaves the rubber in its as-new perpendicular position.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Unfortunately my experience with the comparatively expensive Bosch brands have all been poor - with squeaking and scraping from day one on both the C5 MK 1, II and the X7 and the C3 - so I am now thoroughly convinced that they are not made to fit properly. On every occasion, (lesson learned late in each case), reverting to Citroen wipers cured the problem and they simply don't squeak, so can't say it plainer than that, but each will have their own experiences - better or worse. :-D

I rigorously keep the windows clean now and occasionally treat with some rainX too.

Marc
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recently got a wiper blade sander, similar to the one in the following link. I have found that it does (when used properly) a decent job;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windshield-W ... SwkEtbXqqD
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
tengin
My Cars: Citroën C5 HDi 2.2 Tourer | 2013 | DW12C | BVA AM6

Post by tengin »

I'm very satisfied with the Valeo VM461 wiper blades. No annoying squeeks or crumbling rubber yet (approx one year old now). On my old car they lasted about two years.

But I do wipe them off with a cloth from time to time and I always stand the wipers up when there is snow and ice.