So far unsolvable clutch fluid leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PopPops
My Cars: 2010 Peugeot 207 Auto Sport
2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 Auto
Citroen CX GTI Turbo 2, sadly no more…
Citroen GSA, sadly no more…

So far unsolvable clutch fluid leak

Post by PopPops »

Hi Everyone,

My Synergie hdi (actually LHD Evasion) has a leak where the hydraulic pipe enters the clutch master cylinder, and so far, I cannot find a solution. The original problem was the pedal getting closer to the floor and "sinking" while holding the clutch disengaged. I assume master or slave cylinder seals and found the pedal area saturated with fluid. I got a brand new master cylinder and also a couple of the little rubber seals, ECC215615, from EuroCarCare.net. As everything was brand new, there shouldn't be a problem? Wrong!

When pressing the pedal fluid immediately come out of the area where the pipe goes into the master cylinder. I've tried another seal - the same. I've checked the pipe, assuming it may have a fracture but it all looks fine. I've rigged up something to pressure test the pipe reasoning air should leak faster than fluid, but can detect no leak, so now I am completely stumped. I have ordered the complete seal assembly from EurocarCare but as there seems nothing wrong with the plastic bit that holds the pipe in place, I don't hold out much hope here either.

Has anybody had and solved this problem? I think this system is common to quite a few Citroen and Peugeot models.

Many thanks in advance.

Nigel.
Nigel
PopPops

Re: So far unsolvable clutch fluid leak

Post by PopPops »

Hi again,

The saga continues! After making various test fixtures, it seemed the leak must be in the pipe. I removed the pipe and set up another test fixture and the pipe seems to have an invisible fracture at the swaging, under pressure fluid comes out at this point.

So a new pipe is needed, but I hear these are long obsolete so it seems I'm going to have to fabricate a new pipe. Does anyone know of anybody who could make the swaged end? I could join it to the part of the pipe that is OK, maybe using a small length of flexible. The other option maybe is to fabricate something with 3/16" brake pipe (the end that goes into the rubber seal is 4.8mm, close enough maybe) and somehow join that in to the rest of the pipe. The pipe id 6mm OD and 4.8mm after the swaging.

Any ideas welcome, I need to get the car back on the road, it is stuck in France and even if I scrap it, which I don't want to do yet, it need to get back to the UK!

Many thanks again in advance.

Nigel.
Nigel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Possibly the parts are still available, they are not listed as NFP. Need the VIN to confirm, but there appears to be a short 'pipe' from the master cyl, then the long pipe to the slave:

Reference Description Quantity Price - VAT Price + VAT Total + VAT Selection
0000215619 CONTROL PIPE 1 33.37 GBP 40.04 GBP 40.04 GBP

00002156L7 CONTROL PIPE 1 3.64 GBP 4.37 GBP 4.37 GBP

L7 is the short one (15), 19 is the long one (16) to the slave.
clutch.JPG
Richard W
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
PopPops

Post by PopPops »

Many thanks, that is exactly the diagram I couldn't find, it is the short pipe from the master cylinder, I hope they are still available, if you confirm the part number I'll find a friendly Citroen (or maybe Peugeot) dealer over here.

The VIN is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff], RP 08904.

Thanks Gibbo2286, I ordered 2 from them and also on order is the complete thing with the plastic "cone". They looked identical, just "newer"!

Thanks again.

Nigel.
Nigel
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

That same diagram comes up against your VIN, so part no 2156L7 is the one you want; as I say it's not showing as NFP, but.... however, it seems to be fitted to the MK3 Dispatch, so there's a good chance it's still available.
Richard W
PopPops

Post by PopPops »

Many thanks, I'll keep you informed of progress!
Nigel
PopPops

Post by PopPops »

Thanks to everyone who read the post and suggested solutions. It is now solved!

Thanks Richard for the diagram and part numbers. I ordered the "L7" pipe from the local Peugeot dealer (Citroen was closed!) and it arrived in 2 hours. Fitted and the leak is gone and all is back up and running.

I cannot see the problem with the old pipe, even under magnification I can see no hole or crack, put pressurise it on my makeshift jig and fluid appears around the swaging. I guess after 17 years and 400k miles it is a metal fatigue crack. One down to experience.

Thanks all again.

Nigel.
Nigel