Newbie C5 owner

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

derk19601960
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 Hdi Nav+

Newbie C5 owner

Post by derk19601960 »

Newbie to the site and C5 owner, been a few years since owning a Citroen, previously had 2 BX and a ZX many moons ago, all diesel. Recently purchased a C5 Tourer 1.6 hdi Nav+ with 128500 on the clock, as I only do 30 miles per week, then 200 mile trip once a month, I thought this would do what I needed it to. 1 owner from new, full service history with all receipts for previous work, also came with 12 months MOT, serviced by garage and 12 months warranty, for MOT it had pads and discs all round.
After first trip it had a misfire/stutter every now and again, garage replaced the EGR valve, according to ECU fault when plugged in this was causing it, picked car up drove 20 miles misfire/stutter still there, now there replacing the Air Mass Meter, both out of their pocket, cant fault them upto now, treated the same if I had spent 20k not 3k.
The thing bugging me the most is tailgate wiper, it works when it wants plus squirts screen wash every time, when screen wash frozen in pipes, I can hear the pump running, Anyone any ideas or solutions to this fault, I havent asked the garage yet to see what their response to this will be, Items not covered under warranty unless they break, same as most warranties.
Ive had a browse on site cant find the answer Im looking for.
Thanks for reading, all answers much appreciated.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Newbie C5 owner

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the French Car Forum. If you are looking for a good independent Citroen garage you could do a lot worse than call into Savoy Garage. Please accept my apologies for the fact I cannot offer any other advise.

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&t=42544
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Hi Derk and welcome :)

Check the wiring loom between tailgate and body where it flexes, inside the insulated corrugated sleeving. I found wires severed completely and others badly nicked which created all sorts of electrickery including non-opening boot and a posessed rear wiper.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Welcome. Just for future use it would help if you put the year and Mark of your C5.

+1 for the wires in the tailgate loom being broken. It's a Citroen fault (and probably other makes as well) that goes back years. I had a very similar problem on my 2001 Xsara.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
derk19601960

Post by derk19601960 »

Thanks everyone for your replies, taken all tips on board, will investigate all once i get it back from garage on Thursday, Thanks again.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome
And yes to the tailgate loom. Very common in c5 estates (I will get round to mine at some point...)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I suspect that the OP has a C5 X7 as he refers to it as a 'Tourer' and +NAV (although confirmation of year would help), so I do not think this is the same issue as the MK I and MK II 'estates' which are a completely different design and don't seem to suffer with the same electrical faults. Neither do they have the tailgate glass opening feature either. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

derk19601960 wrote: 18 Mar 2018, 12:55
The thing bugging me the most is tailgate wiper, it works when it wants plus squirts screen wash every time, when screen wash frozen in pipes,
There are 3 settings, Off, Intermittent and Screen Wash, activated by the end barrel setting. It could be possible that in this very cold weather you the liquid has frozen and the pump has built up pressure, which is causing the washer fluid to periodically release as it starts to thaw and is still under pressure.
I can hear the pump running, Anyone any ideas or solutions to this fault
See my answer above - but the best thing you can do is put a decent screen wash in that is protected to minus 10 degrees (Halfords do 5 Lt premium stuff and mine never freezes). But if you don't have a premium screen wash, then it likely will freeze in these temperatures and then you can damage the pump by operating it when it cannot expel the water.
I havent asked the garage yet to see what their response to this will be, Items not covered under warranty unless they break, same as most warranties.
If none of the above applies, and the wiper / washer is randomly or constantly operating the screen wash when the system is not frozen then it is likely a fault and your garage should look at it and sort it under warranty as it is a safety device and requirement for your screen washers and wipers to work properly.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
derk19601960

Post by derk19601960 »

Hi all,
Latest, Air mass meter replaced, still same, going back this afternoon for them to sort next week, their keeping it until its sorted. Rear wiper is a fault on the stalk, being replaced on monday. Garage 100% committed to getting it sorted, cant fault them at all up to now. Thanks for replies.