Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: Xsara 2.0HDi 90

Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

Post by dave_xsara »

Okay,

Now that I've got the MIL warning resolved, I want to get the rear suspension finished.

There is loud banging, creaking and squeaking from the rear axle. If I stand on the tow bar and bounce the rear end, the noise is very audible.

The rear shocks have been recently replaced and that fixed some of the banging noise (bush on the eye of the shock had perished and hence the shock was not braced to the axle.

I've got a set of mounts and intend to replace them. However, I'm not sure that they are the full cause of the squeaking/creaking noise.

I've read that there can be issues with the axle bearings collapsing. However, I've checked the camber of the rear axle and it appears fine visually.

Is there a measurement of what the rear camber should be?

If the bearings have not collapsed and there is just a squeaking/creaking noise, what would be the solution to the problem and also to preserve the lifespan of the axle and bearings?

It seems to be a very common problem with this type of axle. However, solutions vary from replacing the rear axle, drilling grease nipples and packing with grease, drilling holes to release water, replacing trailing arm, replacing trailing arm bushes, etc.

At this stage now, there must be a solution that most have narrowed in on. What should I be doing here?

Thanks.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Re: Xsara Squeaking/Creaking Rear suspension

Post by dave_xsara »

I've read through the following:
http://www.optimal-germany.com/en/busin ... t-possible

viewtopic.php?t=27939

Would the axle be salvageable at this stage with a new bearing kit? Does a water relief point need to be bored into the axle, if so where do these go?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

The axle bearings (not the wheel bearings) went our old Xsara a few years ago. It was especially noticeable when the car was loaded up at the rear (it was an Estate version) when the inside edge of the tyres at the top would touch the wheel arch. Have look to see if this has happened or, if it's only on its way out, that the mud build-up has been cleaned away.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Is it true that the bearing is a serviceable item after 10 years?
I've been told that the simplest solution is to replace the axle. Is there any stop gap solutions I can do in order to stop the squeaking?
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Changing the axle isn't a very difficult job - that's what I ended up doing as I found a decent S/H one at the scrappie's.

The bearings can certainly be changed. I believe that forumite xsaras4ever has done thhe job.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Yes, looks like getting a replacement axle is an easier job than replacing the bearings myself.
What cost would a refurbished axle be?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

dave_xsara wrote: 11 Dec 2017, 21:40 Is it true that the bearing is a serviceable item after 10 years?
I've been told that the simplest solution is to replace the axle. Is there any stop gap solutions I can do in order to stop the squeaking?

Not really as the bearings often collapse/break up and ovalise the bearing housings in the axle tube, effectively writing it off...

Often the stub axles are badly pitted too..

Even if not, getting the axle apart after ten years of rusting is a heck of a task and often involves very large (sledge) hammers!!!

I've been there with Pug 205s which use a very similar axle...

Best to get and fit a refurb'd axle ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Are there any issues with getting the ABS sensors etc refitted on a refurbed axle? I was speaking with the person who would be helping me to swap it out and they were concerned about getting the ABS etc working again on a new axle.
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Is there a measurement from top of tyre to wheel arch that can be used to gauge wear? Or camber measurement?

Or is it as simple as if there is a squeak, then it is goosed?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If it squeaks and creaks Dave, that's good enough to condemn it... Also, a lot of observed negative camber (/-\) is a good tell-tale too...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

It squeaks and creaks, but I can't see any noticeable negative camber.
Can this result in a collapsed axle?

Also, back to my previous question - are there any issues with the ABS sensors on the refurbished axles that could cause problems?

I seen there is a refurbing guy who puts a semi solid lubricant into the trailing arm. Is this a common part of the refurb process now?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

dave_xsara wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 13:04 Can this result in a collapsed axle?
What do you mean exactly?
dave_xsara wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 13:04 Also, back to my previous question - are there any issues with the ABS sensors on the refurbished axles that could cause problems?
I'd not bank on being able to recover your existing ones from the old axle. Budget for replacements.
dave_xsara wrote: 12 Dec 2017, 13:04 I seen there is a refurbing guy who puts a semi solid lubricant into the trailing arm. Is this a common part of the refurb process now?

Lubrication is vital... Some refurbished axles have grease nipples fitted. One has to trust the refurbisher that he has chosen a suitable grease...

Grease I'd define as semi-solid ;)
Jim

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I priced this up for my Sister earlier in the year, as hers needing doing - got scrapped in the end as another car became available from my Parents! Here's my thoughts:

http://www.imaxle.co.uk/xsara-hatch-disc-with-abs £175 + £20 delivery (exchange, but that seems to include the pick up). Some other bits are likely required: ABS sensors (they’re well known for being difficult to remove; getting them out intact for re-use is probably not worth the hassle since you can get a new pair for £25); axle mounts – although you don’t actually need to disturb these, it’s likely they’re well past their best and contributing a significant amount of noise, new set around £50 (I put new ones in our ZX, and it shut the back end up and transformed the handling); you have to remove the hubs from the old arm, this can pull the bearing apart, although most seem to be able to get them off (these are £50 each); might be worth sticking new brake flexis on as well as they have to be disconnected, and may well be cracking by now – they’re only £10 each though.
Richard W
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I replaced a complete axle on a berlingo, which is presumably a similar set up.try IMaxles for a refurbished axle, I was £300 for one delivered to me, its not that bad a job if you dont mind lying under the car getting face fulls of crap while getting the old one off! I got away with re using the wheelbearings and did not have abs to contend with.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
dave_xsara
(Donor 2021)

Post by dave_xsara »

Grease I'd define as semi-solid
Their terminology - not mine!
Is it standard practice to add a grease nipple or does it matter?
...axle mounts...
From their website home page (http://www.imaxle.co.uk/):
Refurbished axles from £185 inc VAT
Axle completely stripped
Sandblasted to remove all rust
New hardened axle shafts fitted
Inside of trailing arm resleeved
Trailing arm bearings replaced
Rubber mounting bushes replaced
Repainted to factory standard colours
Assembled to factory standard
2 Years Unlimited Warranty